Briko Sprinter 3 Eyewear

Briko Sprinter 3

Sam   Cross Country Rider [Mar 04, 2002]
Strength:

Great fit on practically any face shape or head size. Very light, sometimes you forget you're wearing them. Solid grip, will not slip even when I've eaten dirt.

Can be expensive if you buy at a your local Briko dealer. Go to www.the-eye-shop.com (located in France) they gave me a great price and I had my sprinters within 3 days of placing the order.

These are a great pair of sunglasses. I purchased with the Therma HC plus lens, it's a little on the lighter side of red shade, and the trail is 1000% clearer. The only problem (although not really a problem) is that you can't really wear them around like a typical pair of glasses, too sporty looking.

Similar Products Used: Serengeti
Simon Baxter   Cross Country Rider [Jun 26, 2001]
Strength:

Easily interchangeable lenses. Lightweight (hardly notice that they are on).

Brow too far away from frame allowing sweat to run down the inside of the lenses.

Generally a good pair of shades. The lenses are easy to swap and come in many variations. The only real problem is that the brow part of the frame is too far away from my head, which allows sweat to run down the lenses. I purchased the brow pad to stop this and it seems to work fine (though it's a bit pricy for a length of plastic and foam). I've got quite a large head and have problems with some frames, but the Sprinter are fine.

Dan   Weekend Warrior [Oct 12, 2000]
Strength:

the best optics, great contrast, no fog

A little on the small side

the best I've ever used for seeing in & out of the NE woods,great contrast, you can see all the stuff on the trail you've been plowing over, expensive as are most sunglasses but... if you go online its much cheaper to get them from europe since the Euro is so low.

Similar Products Used: Bolle, B&L, serengeti
TonyP   Cross Country Rider [Aug 06, 2000]
Strength:

They NEVER fog up, the optic is just great, great comfort.

It's purely a sport item: they're looking a little too strange to wear them in everyday life.

Great sunglasses! I could not ask for something better for biking. I use them all the time for cross-country and road biking as well as for cross-country and downhill skiing during spring time.

I think any XC, DH or road cyclist would be fully satisfied with these sunglasses. They're light, they never fog up, they look great, the optics is great, etc. But they're not the best for skiing, the glass is too far from the eyes...

Similar Products Used: Oakley Eye Jacket
Cliff Leonard   Cross-Country Rider [Dec 08, 1999]
Strength:

Excelent Optics

I can't afford another pair for night rides!

These glasses are wonderful. I have a small face yet they still fit like a glove you can't even feel them on your face. I had a couple of my fat faced friends try them on and they could not beleive how good they fit. The optics are incredible they make everything more sharp and greatly enhance the contrast of even the greyest days. Everyone that has looked through them has said, Wow. The worst thing I can say about them is that they can only be worn on the bike becase they are very gaudy out of their element. These are not for people that are too cool to wear lycra or are into the I am so cool downhill scene. Buy these glasses they are incredible!

Similar Products Used: Oakly, Smiths
Martin Hojgaard   Racer [May 13, 2001]
Strength:

Nice fit, looks great, interchangeable lenses, doesn't fog, good optics

the frame is a bit too short, annoying gap between the top of the lens and the frame

the glasses are fine, people with big heads might find them a bit on small side.

Similar Products Used: Rudy Project Skeey, Briko Bold
Ken Weisenbach   Cross Country Rider [Jan 07, 2003]
Strength:

Really good product. I have the HC Thrama with a rose colored (Prozac) lenses. Great for morning and afternoon rides.

More an issue of the lens weakness - can't see crap in early AM or early evening rides. Expensive to buy spare/alternate lenses.

Would recommend over the others I've treid. Just be forewarned that alternate lenses get spendy quick.

Similar Products Used: Oakley, Smith
Trenholm   Weekend Warrior [Jul 31, 2002]
Strength:

Excellent optics, comfort, strength, and fit. Also light weight, and it's easy to switch the lens.

none...so far..

Really nice glasses, I wish I could wear them around casually. I tried plenty of other glasses before these, but these are the real deal. I would highly recommend buying them, especially if most glasses look big on your face. Recent models are made even stronger and better than years past, try to get your hands on the latest model by Briko.

Similar Products Used: dragon, bolle, nike
Tony   [Jul 25, 2003]
Strength:

Fit, lens clarity, effectiveness of lens tint, weight, rubber on nose and temples.

Prescription adapter is too small and its attachment to frame is flimsy. Names for lens colors are absurd; you need a half-hour of research to translate them into something meaningful.

NOTE: This review is for the "Rx Klip Kit" model with the prescription lens adapter. It came with three lenses: A dark gray, a darkish rose with a bit of irridescence, and a light-going-on-clear rose.

Bottom Line: If you don't need a prescription or you wear contacts, these glasses are great. If you're thinking of getting the Rx adapter, I'd think again.

***** PRAISE ******

Where I ride, in New England, I'm under a dense tree canopy most of the time, so I hardly ever use the gray lens. (It's good for paddling my canoe, and for driving, and will probably be good in the winter when the leaves are off and snow is on the ground.)

The rose lenses are excellent. They seemed to make the light too "warm" at first, but as I've worn them and come to like them more and more I've started to think of it as "brightness". They cut the haze and glare, without making everything dim. The darker one is perfect for most weather, on middle-of-the day rides when you're in and out of the woods. The lighter one is great in the morning / evening, when it's rainy or very cloudy, or even if you're just going to be under the hemlocks for the whole ride. It has just enough tint to get rid of all that glare that's in the air on a damp New England day, without making things even darker than they already are.

****** COMPLAINTS *******

1) The prescription adapter that comes with the "Rx Klip Kit" that I bought is lame in several ways:
a) It's way too small and limits peripheral vision significantly.
b) It bangs into the back of the tinted lens.
c) It snaps into the frame with a Mickey-mouse clip that I fear is going to fail altogether someday. In any case it's already loose enough that if I take a good whack from a branch or a fall, the adapter sometimes pops out.

2) It takes a ridiculous amount of work to translate all the marketers' pretentious gobbledygook names for the different lenses into something meaningful. For example, instead of calling two of the lenses that came with my kit "Thrama HC Active Plus" and "Thrama Plus 80", wouldn't you think they could have called them "Dark rose with mirror finish" and "Light rose", respectively?

3) Minor complaint: As someone else noted, the lenses do scratch. I scratched the coating of one significantly when I hit a tree branch. Not sure if this should be expected or not. On the other hand, neither the lenses nor the frames nor my face broke, which probably wouldn't have been the case had I been wearing my regular eyeglasses.

4) Minor complaint: When I bend my head way down (for example, to pick stuff out of my front derailleur), the glasses pivot up (down) toward the top of my head and interfere with visibilty, in a strange way that no other glasses have ever done for me. (I think it's because they stand farther out from my face so that my brow doesn't hold them in place when I bend over.) So I take them off when I do that.

Similar Products Used: old Bolle Rx sunglasses w/ cateye Acrylex frames.
Clay   Racer [Jul 24, 2003]
Strength:

Very light and comfortable. High quality visual characteristics.

Lens break

I used to love these things, but I have broken 4 lens. I can't find replacement lens except for ones for $54 on the net. That's ridiculous. Bottom line - doesn't matter how good the glasses are when you don't have lens to put in them. Mine are sitting in a drawer