Bolle Parole Eyewear

Parole

Bolle Parole

Jae   Weekend Warrior [Jul 02, 2010]
Strength:

Interchangeable lenses; super light; stays on and in place even with heavy sweating

Rubber pieces for the ear fell off after about a year but I glued it back on without any problems

Great sunglasses! I wear them 5+ time per week, mostly to play tennis. Even with heavy sweating and constant moving (jumping, running, sometime falling), it stays in place. The rubber pieces for the nose and ears get the job done but do not last forever! I had them for 2+ years (of year-round use in TX) and had to glue back on one of the ear rubber pieces once. When the rubber pieces do wear down or fall off, replacing or super gluing back on is easy and relatively inexpensive.

bmwK75s   Weekend Warrior [Jun 11, 2010]
Strength:

This review is for the replacement nose pads. They are available but you need to use the right glue or they won't stay on!
http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com/loctite-all-plastics-super-glue-p-377.html?ref=42 loctite-all-plastics-super-glue
works for me.

As for the glasses themselves, they do the job and parts are replaceable. Best cheap Rx adaptable cycling glasses i've found. When the sunglass lenses themselves get scratched a new set is only $25.00.

Lenses are shaped ugly. I've actually taken to clipping them to a shape I like with a heavy-duty pair of scissors.

Decent cheap Rx adaptable sunglasses with replaceable parts. Good for a budget.

Michael   Weekend Warrior [May 17, 2003]
Strength:

The lenses don't scratch easily which should make it easier to get a refund.

The lenses pop out far too easily when bouncing around. I lost both lenses 4 times and the right lense twice more on a 7 mile track. Frame is too flexible.

Single worst pair of biking glases i've ever owned. I can't think of any reason anyone would want to buy them. The idea of swaping out the lenses by flexing the frame isn't bad, but the implementation is. Because the frame is so flexible, the lenses just won't stay in the frame when hitting rough single track.

Similar Products Used: Smiths
Sharon   Weekend Warrior [Feb 11, 2002]

Unable to replace nosepiece that fell off. Cannot find a web site on internet, old address no longer good, FAX gets no response. TERRIBLE customer service. They want people who lose their nosepieces to replace with whole new goggle.

Don't buy Bolle goggles if you think you might ever need customer service!

Eric Hansen   Cross Country Rider [Jan 01, 2002]
Strength:

Tough, high-quality lenses; comes with 4 sets of lenses (for different lighting conditions); rubberized parts (nose rest and ear wraps) are very grippy -- no problem staying on my face on very rocky/bumpy/sweaty rides; very light and tough.

Difficult to switch lenses (takes some considerable elbow grease); look a bit geeky (my initial thoughts, but hey they were on sale, and the pros far outweigh the geekiness factor)

I bought these on sale at Performance for $70. For the price, I'm convinced that these specs cannot be beat. For their retail of $110, they are still awesome glasses, although at that price (had I paid it) I would have considered some other products as well. The optics are very high quality, and the frames themselves are extremely durable. I've dropped and knocked the lenses and they don't have any scratches so far. A huge feature IMHO is the grippy rubberized earpiece tips, which really help these shades stay on your face -- so grippy, in fact, that when looped under your helmet strap, the glasses can actually be difficult to take off!

My only point of contention is the cosmetics -- they are clearly "sports specific", and a bit geeky to be wearing around the street... I think this is mainly because the lenses are a bit taller above the noseline than normal shades (which is exactly what you want when biking, since your head is generally bent down and you are looking "up" through the upper half of the lenses). HOWEVER, when I'm wearing them with a helmet, they look very cool.

Very positive overall ratings for this product (and Bolle's quality).

Similar Products Used: Bolle Edge, various Vuarnet sports glasses
Berf   Cross Country Rider [Oct 19, 2003]
Strength:

Nice that Bolle has realized that not everyone has 20/20 vision. The optional "prescription piece" is a good idea. Cost is fairly reasonable.

A lot, I have had two pair of these glasses in the past 3 years. My first pair needed to be replaced due to the rubber nose piece. and rubber on the arms breaking down. That I could kinda understand due to having used them for over 2 years. My second (and last) pair of the Bolles totally sucked. I broke two lenses, one of the gray. and one of the amber ones. Said lenses actually are weak at the edges where you insert them into the frames. the frames are way too flexy. I guess that is a necessity with the ability to swap lenses.

If you are an aggressive rider, or someone that spends a lot of time sweating, yo may want to consider another brand. I unfortunately wear prescription glasses, and as much as I would like to get a pair of Oakleys, I cannot afford them. I guess you get what you pay for. Needless to say I will not buy another Bolle product.

Similar Products Used: Bolle,other prescription type glasses (think Magnum P.I. style)
Chris Layton   Weekend Warrior [Sep 28, 2001]
Strength:

Lenses stay clear. Quick change-out. Light on your face. Nice fog removal from the wind and turbulence inside the frames.

The lens tends to pop out every once in a while during riding. This doesn't happen as a result of heavy drops, etc and is hard to explain. I'll be riding down the road and the lens will just drop out.

Great, cheap glasses that do the job.

John Doe   Cross Country Rider [Feb 11, 2004]
Strength:

Let see now.
They give good vision with cool lense colours, thats about it.

Let me count the ways!!
The nose and ear grips come off too easily, so easily its like they were designed to come off or something.
And when you twist your head to look behind, the glasses lift off your face, didn't even think that was possible.
That should be enough to discourage you from buying these sunnies.

Bad bad bad glasses.
Go buy rudy project, but if ain't got the dought, check out the D'arcs, they are well packin it.

Similar Products Used: Rudy Project Kerosene. These rock, except the copper on the nose pads is starting to show under the metallic finish.
Brian   Racer [Dec 31, 1999]
Strength:

multiple lenses
good fit
indestructible frame

lens insertion and removal takes time to get used to

great pair of performance sun glasses, alittle bit pricey, but the performance is worth it.

Jon   Racer [Apr 23, 2001]
Strength:

light, strong, 4 sets of lenses, optional RX adaptor, nice small case, not too expensive, replacement lenses don't cost a fortune.

pretty big for the "smaller" version.

Definitely a good value for the money, for nice frames and 4 sets of lenses. Replacement lenses are only $22 or so, and the RX adaptor is pretty affordable too.
I do wish they were a little smaller, since they still look big on me, but they do keep the wind out of the eyes at 45 mph.

Similar Products Used: Oakley M-frames, Oakley Eyejackets.