SixSixOne Ricochet Knee/shin Guard Armor and Pads

Ricochet Knee/shin Guard

d ocampo   Cross Country Rider [Jun 25, 2007]
Strength:

Great protection and flexes as you pedal.

The padding inside the plastic protection cut into the sides of my legs. After over a week people still comment on my scabs. Also the screws where the pads bend scrap against the frame of the bike. Not only annoying sound, but for those who baby their bikes (I don't) might not want the scratches on their frame.

Does the job it's supposed too, but tears the hell out of the sides of your legs.

Similar Products Used: Cheap $20 fox pads, $70 fox launch pads(which I like)...
Big Wave Dave G   [Nov 15, 2006]
Strength:

Comfortable to ride with, fairly cool as far as knee pads go. Easy on and off without taking off shoes.

First of all they're ann uncofortable wierd feeling when you actually fall on them. You don't really even have to fall on them to know what I'm talking about - just kneel down. All the weight from your body puts pressure on your shin and none on your knee as the design is such that there's a huge gap of air between your knee and the pad. It seems good to have a protective gap at the knee and keeps the knee cool but the fact that it puts ALL the pressure of your weight or impact right in the upper shin area makes it very uncomfortable to kneel in if you're changing a tube or falling on them. They fall apart in no time at all. I've had them only 3 months and already one of the quick attach plastic pieces on the straps is broken which means I have to literally tie the strap around itself to keep it in place (the smaller of the issues), and two of the hinge bolds are gone (who knows where) making them pretty much worthless. Not sure how they could make a hinged knee pad and have the hinges be removable in a way that they'll fall out on their own!

I wouldn't buy these pads again. They look great, they feel great when you try them on. They are cool and easy to get on & off . . but when it comes down to the important part . . lasting and staying in one piece . . they fail. I'll give them 2 chilis for comfort while riding but they're not a value at all . . especially when you've given your gilfriend your normal pads and are forced to pay the ludicrous whistler pricing. It's like buying overpriced resort burgers only this one left a bad taste in my mouth

Similar Products Used: Six Six one Race Knee pads (didn't fall apart but had to sew my own cross knee straps on to get them to stay in place on the knee so if you go down they don't just slide off - I think I'm done . . . with 661
keefe   Downhiller [Apr 07, 2007]
Strength:

Full protection as in wrap around the knee. Easy on off. Totally hard plastic construction.

Screws that hold knee to shin pad tend to scratch the frame. I added some foam in the knee area after carpet testing.

They stay in place. Offer full protection on the way down. Have had mine for 2 years now with no major problems. I have the full lenghth models and plan on using them for year number 3.