SixSixOne Evo Lite XC Knee Armor and Pads

Evo Lite XC Knee

SixSixOne 661 Evo Lite XC Knee Pad: Lightweight knee pads with cutting edge technology. SixSixOne have teamed up with d3o, leaders in intelligent foam technology to create the EVO pad set, a new approach to the tough demands of 21st century MTB riding.

stumblemumble   Weekend Warrior [May 14, 2011]
Strength:

Comfy and portable enough that you'll actually wear them

Tear easily

They work well, give decent knee protection. Wouldn't wear them downhilling or anything but for AM/trail use they're perfect. Very comfy, I wear them up and down when it's cold as knee warmers.
Unfortunately the outer shell material is about as tough as silk, slide on them once and you'll tear them. Also the threads randomly popped in one spot, shady construction, though I re-stitched the spot myself and they've been fine.

Similar Products Used: Fox 911's
jadedbee   Cross Country Rider [Jan 18, 2011]
Strength:

Light weight, flexible, breathable, cool technology

expensive, no shin coverage, wouldn't trust it for downhill

I had a number of rides ruined half way through by hitting my kneecap on something in a crash and having my leg go numb. I couldn't bring myself to drop the cash, but my parents got these for me as a gift (they worry). They work way better than you'd expect. I tested them by dropping my knees on rocks and by hitting myself with a hammer. They work very well for direct impacts. They won't work as well if you fly off the bike and skid on them at speed (downhillers should use hard plastic). If you smack your knees on your bar, stem, fork or trees much, these are for you. Once you get them adjusted right you forget they are there. Sometimes you have to slightly readjust, but they stay pretty well put. They also double as knee warmers in cold weather. But they are plenty breathable when it's hot. Plus, if you're doing a long climb or it gets too hot, they fold up really easy to be stuffed in your pack for later.
They have saved me numerous times and have held up great (although by Murphy's Law, you will only really need them when you decide not to wear them - trust me). I do wish they extended farther down the shin, as pedal strikes are my most frequent injury.
I like 'em enough that I bought the matching elbow pads when I saw them on sale for $36.

Similar Products Used: Fox full leg armor, leg warmers
416to212   Weekend Warrior [Jul 05, 2010]
Strength:

Lightweight, breathable, and very comfortable while pedalling. In a trail riding situation mixing agressive XC with some jumping, drops, and skinnies - I'd imagine this is all the protection I will need.

Velcro can snag other fabrics when being stored or while in the wash.

These fit really well, no sliding down. They don't get too sweaty and even so they dry out really fast for the next day's ride. Although the padding is thin, I really have faith in the D3O technology - it works. If agressive trail riding is your thing and you've had more than one knee getting ripped apart by wood and rocks in the past season and are just contemplating on whether this product is for you because it just seems like a hassle - I'd just tell you to get them, you'll just ride with more confidence too.
BTW Sizing is true to manufacture claims. My L/XL fit me fine.

Similar Products Used: Lizard Skins.
RickC5   Cross Country Rider [Jun 19, 2010]
Strength:

Light, appear well made & durable

Bunch up & pinch behind my knees & also slide down & must be pulled back up several times per ride. Not loose though. Totally different design from my old Kyle Straits. Lighter but don't fit nearly as well.

Guess I need to try something else--again.

Similar Products Used: Replaced a pair of heavier 661 Kyle Straits with these & then sold the Kyle Straits--dumb move on my part.
Winco   Weekend Warrior [May 29, 2009]
Strength:

Light. Well Made. Comfortable. High-tech materials.

None I can see yet. Wait 'till I come off and then I'll tell you!

Was going to purchase full length shin/knee but talked out of it by the shop because of the type of riding I do. Will see how I go with protecting my knees especially if I come off! Good for giving confidence especially for newbies starting to challenge themselves on more technical terrain. Protect your knees! They are valuable.