SixSixOne 4x4 Knee/Shin Guards Armor and Pads

4x4 Knee/Shin Guards

SIX SIX ONE 4x4 Knee/Shin Guards has full coverage EVA foam, 300 denier shell with nylon inserts. Now available in youth size.

David Z   [Jan 05, 2014]
Strength:

-Great Knee/Shin coverage
-Light weight
-Good ventilation
-Look good
-Good protection
-Easy pedaling

Have to undo all Velcro straps to get them on and off......only a small vice.

Bought these off eBay nice and cheap, and they were brand new, never worn. Impressed at the look and feel of them initially, but thought they would get very hot when riding..... I was wrong!!!!
These things have enough vents in them to keep every part of your leg nice and cool, so much so that there wasn't any more sweat than without them.
Thought they would feel bulky because they are a fairly big guard, but really easy to pedal that you almost forget they're on.
Protection wise they take the scrapes of trees, rocks etc really well, and only had one decent fall which they were fine with...just scuffed a bit.
Feel MUCH better than hard shell Fox guards that I've had.

Definitely get them if you want a light, cool and flexible guard that will stop most things taking your skin and blood.

Similar Products Used: Fox Competition Guards
make it reign   Downhiller [Mar 29, 2012]
Strength:

Fairly breathable, light, secure

The straps are slightly annoying, because the Velcro can attach at the wrong spaces, but this is offset by the fact that they stay secure. Your legs also get hot, but nit unbearably so. Main weakness: NOT for big crashes, xc or light freeride only!

These would be great for riders who won't go flying into a rock at top speed. I did that with these on and my shins were very beat up afterword. However, for xc or light freeride they are good. They just aren't the beefiest pads out there, if you are hesitant I would say to upgrade to a sturdier pair.

joshc123   Downhiller [Mar 02, 2010]
Strength:

Not too expensive, light, fairly cool.

Long straps, too many straps, abrasive stitching.

These pads are not meant to protect from the gnarliest crashes. They are made with thin plastic and foam padding, for general purpose. They provide adequate protection for what they were made for. I'm 5'11 and fit the LARGE size. I'm on the skinnier side, so all the straps are too long for me. There are 7 velcro attachments on each leg, I think some are unnecessary. The mesh makes them breatheable, but some of the stitching on the inside can rub a bit abrassively. Good basic pads, medium comfort, medium protection.

Crashcousins   Downhiller [Dec 31, 2009]
Strength:

Very Comfy.
great knee cap protection
cool in summer yet warm in winter.

None, zero, i love them.

These things rule. I had the older style for a very long time. They were so worn out i had to get new pads. I think i tried on every hard pad out there. None seemed really comfy nor did i feel they protected the top of my knee cap which always seemed to get wacked in big crashes. These new give the protection i want, are even more comfy than my old ones, cooler in the summer yet still keep my legs warm in the winter night rides.

Similar Products Used: Older version of this type of six six ones
Jason   Downhiller [Jul 15, 2009]
Strength:

Cheap all in one pad set

-weak protection
-slide down ALL the time
-straps are too long
-not very durable
-hot

These pads should be sold as shin protection only. During any crash when the moment of impact is upon you these pads slide down leaving your knee's exposed. I would recommend saving the cash and not wearing pads rather than buying these.

Ray Lee   Weekend Warrior [Mar 17, 2009]
Strength:

light weight and comfortable with a good amount of protection for trail riding... anything more would just be to much for every day use. the wrap around design makes them stay put better than just straps.

straps are to long (easy to fix) and they do take a minute to get on and off so your not going to be taking them on and off throughout the ride.

Nice, about as much protection as I can wear all day, the amount of bloody shins was getting ridiculous and the occasional knee to stem or rock contact wasn't fun either.

There are a couple places I ride where I just love having these... one is all rock and the other is filled with log rides and such, most of the other spots I just dont mind wearing them.

Similar Products Used: Fox RockGardn and some other hard plastic shell models at bike parks
poozank   Downhiller [Feb 25, 2009]
Strength:

somewhat cheap I guess better than bare skin

to many straps
hot
straps to long
requires excessive tightening
slide down
look bad
materials are not durable
only a centimeter of foam with one mm of plastic does noy provide much protection
stink for pedaling

These are dicks

Similar Products Used: Fox Launch
doctorpunch   Weekend Warrior [Dec 23, 2008]
Strength:

-Non constrictive
-Lightweight
-Full coverage
-Durable

-Take FOREVER to put on
-Straps are too long

I purchased these because I ravaged my calves on my unicycle. The only reason I got them was because I needed calf protection, but they've saved my shins more than once. I got them in the fall so the whole "heat" thing was never an issue. It's like riding in a pair of jeans. My main gripe is the straps: there's too many of them and they're waaay to long. After a while you get used to it but it takes a solid 2 minutes to get everything on and in place. There's also a strap on top that wraps around the back but it takes up Velcro space for the main top one, so it's pretty much useless.

Similar Products Used: None, first pair of guards
cgirnus   Weekend Warrior [Sep 09, 2008]
Strength:

The padding material seems good and the coverage are is good which has kept me from getting scrapped up in a couple falls.

I am 6'2" and these are always sliding down on me.
The stitching on the velcro straps are pulling apart after only 6 rides.
They are a little hot especially in the summer but for those early spring/fall rides and night rides it is nice.

Granted they aren't really expensive pads but would have expected the stitching to hold up better. Once those velcro straps go the pads are pretty much worthless which is why I am sending mine back for either a warranty replacement or refund.