RockGardn Trailstar Armor and Pads

• 3-piece chest design offers excellent protection
  • Fully adjustable shoulders for customized fit
  • Attachment points for the Rockgardn Neck Roll
  • Leatt Brace compatible

tartosuc   Weekend Warrior [Aug 17, 2010]
Strength:

light, fast to put on

way too short spine

i received that protector and i'm a bit confused about it...
its nicely build but the spine protector is very very short compared to other armours that i've owned. it does not cover the lower back at all like my 661 was doing...

not sure i will keep it.

Similar Products Used: 661, dainese, casel equi
mtbhead   Downhiller [Aug 06, 2008]
Strength:

Light weight and light *feeling*, yet well-padded, comfy, very adjustable, beatheable, nice materials and construction

None found yet.

This is *exactly* what I was looking for: a light-but-well-padded, comfy, adjustable, beatheable chest protector that's actually designed to mate with a hydration pack. Because of scoliosis in my spine, my right shoulder is ~1" higher than my left shoulder. The adjustable straps on the Trailstar allowed me to dial in the perfect fit. I liked how the straps are all elastic, but also have adjustability. I probably spent ~20-30 minutes dialing it in so that it fit perfectly when hunched over in a riding stance - something I would suggest spending the time to do for anyone getting one. Once adjusted, it is really easy to slip on/off, and fits perfectly. When I was riding, I kept forgetting that I was even wearing it - even with the Hydration pack added - which you know is a sign of a great design. No odd weight shifting or anything when hitting big doubles or drops - something that I would occasionally notice when using my old Thor MX chest protector with my Camelback strapped to the outside.

The fact that this chest protector was designed to allow an attachable Trailstar Hydropack (also available from Rockgardn) is simply ingenious. I never could figure out the best way to wear my Camelback with my Thor MX chest protector... If I put it on the outside, I tended to get a sore spot in the middle of my back from rubbing, and i would notice the Camelback flopping around on jumps/drops. If I put in on the inside of the chest protector, it looked goofy as *#^! (but at least it was more comfy and didn't move around as much). Anyway, the Trailstar with the attached Hydropack solves ALL OF THAT, and more since it's nice an compact (it's one of those things where less is more...). The tool pouch had plenty of room for my tools, spare tube, and some food. The water resevoir is the perfect size - easily enough to last for several shuttle or lift-access runs. My only very, very minor complaint (on the Hydropack only) is that I really didn't care that much for the bite valve. It's a 90-degree valve (which can catch on stuff), and felt slightly big in my mouth - but I'm about positive I can replace it with a CB (straight) valve easily and cheaply enough.

The Trailstar is also designd to directly attach the RG arm guards and Neck Roll thingy if you want.

Overall, I REALLY like the combo of the Trailstar and attached Hydropack - together they are my new favorite piece of DH gear.

Similar Products Used: Older version of the Azonic/Oneal Underdog, Thor MX chest protector
jgg765   Weekend Warrior [Aug 02, 2008]
Strength:

Very light can wear all day.

None than I can think of yet

I think this is one of the best pieces of protective equipment made. I can drap it on the outside of the camelback. I keep it on the outside of my camelback during the climbs then wear it on the descends. However, I have worn it for all day rides It wieghs only 2.5 pounds.
Yes less than 3 pounds!!!
I see so many people wth injuries I do not know why people do not wear more protective equipment.
You can wear this dowhill riding or on an all day All mountain ride or cross country. I have worn it for long rides. Who cares what people think if it protects you from an injury and from getting hurt it is worth it to me.
It has saved me from a few crashes already.
I am not sure if this is made for extreme downhill I think it would work fine though Not sure if it is considered a "pressure suit"