Race Face Rally Leg Armor Armor and Pads

windben   Cross Country Rider [Jun 01, 2011]
Strength:

great padding,light,breathable,durable

moves around knee area, knee straps dig into the thigh

Have these for about 3 years now, overall they comfy, breathable and strong. Once they are on i pretty much forget they are there...except...from time to time they do need an extra tightening as they do tend to slip down a bit after long rides.
The biggest drawback of these pads is definitely their inability to protect the above knee area as they tend to move around downward at impacts. I had crashed twice with these pads at high speeds and was disappointed to find my knees bruised, the knee protective cap simply did not stay in place.

Another issue that had been described by other riders is their problematic knee straps that tend to chaff the back of the knee.

For DH/AM/FR riders that want to feel safe with the armour they are using i would recommend to try other products with better knee protection.
Other than that the overall protection they offer is pretty good , saved my shins and knees on many occasions.

Similar Products Used: lizard skins shin wraps
MivecGPX   Weekend Warrior [Nov 06, 2010]
Strength:

Long enough for my long legs (34 inch inside leg), Comfortable, Robust, padded shin protection all the way down to the top of my shoe

Knee protection folds back in the event of a sliding impact, Like all guards I guess is prone to bits of muck and small stones entering the gap between guard and shin and burrowing into your skin as your ride

Fab for leggy riders. Great for rocky courses I suspect where you'll tend to need padded protection from a direct impact with something nasty. Has saved me numerous times from pedal whacks, flying stones and the like plus a few small offs. Definitely did not save my knees entirely from a flying over the handlebar dismount on the Morzine Pleney Black Run. It absorbed the initial impact but I finished up with huge grazes on both knees that took about 3 months to scar over and even now I have a displaced right knee cap :-( But it was one hell of a crash...

Similar Products Used: 661
Bnorthro   Downhiller [Oct 19, 2009]
Strength:

Comfortable, good shin protection

Terrible knee protection, upper knee area slides down in falls

I've either had horrible luck, or these pads don't stay on very well in crashes. I find that the knee will slide down or not flex with your upper leg, so they leave your knee exposed during crashes. The shin pads are great and they're comfortable, but I've busted my knees up several times while wearing these pads due to the knee guard sliding down. I wouldn't recommend them.

Similar Products Used: Fox leg/knee pads (unsure of model), 661 Evo knee
boudy   Weekend Warrior [Sep 20, 2009]
Strength:

Protection

Removes skin!

I also find that these pads chafe badly. One ride is enough to wear the skin off my thigh unless I wear something underneath.

Also they slide down over the course of the ride.

Similar Products Used: First set of pads.
phillidw   Weekend Warrior [Jul 29, 2009]
Strength:

Stays in place well while pedaling. Surprisingly comfortable when you must grind an uphill. Productworks in all weather conditions (a bit warm on hot days).

Straps seems bit odd design wise but are holding up to date.

Great for the $35 price tag new. I feel like I can arrive on the scene of a shinning contest

Similar Products Used: N/A First Set of leg armor
KarlY   Weekend Warrior [Jul 03, 2009]
Strength:

Very good coverage, very strong

Articulation is at the knee is very bad. Very good at chaffing your thighs

The designers of this pad need to go back to the drawing board. The shin area is good, but the knee area is too stiff (unless you dont bend your leg!) Also the area just above the knee is too short and and also chaffs your thighs as its constantly moving backwards and forwards due to bad design! I had to cut the bottom out of a pair of socks use them like leg warmers as is was unbearable.

Also dont think 3 straps is ness at the calf, 2 is just fine.

Similar Products Used: 661 Kyle Strait
SantaCruzzer   Weekend Warrior [Apr 27, 2009]
Strength:

fits good as long the straps are long enough, comfortable

allergic material, seams are very weak and open easily and often, the straps are way too short for size L

The fit and comfort is really good, but only after some extra velcros have been fixed, because the straps are too short.
The material causes allergic reactions, my legs were full of red, hurting spots, this is unacceptable for protectors in this price region, so the armor gets the minimum rating. There are cheaper armors on the market that do not cause allergic reactions, for example the Rockgardn stuff!

Similar Products Used: Rockgardn Landing Zone Knee/ Shin Protectors
ep1nephr1ne   Weekend Warrior [Mar 21, 2009]
Strength:

Awsome fit, sits nice, non obstructive. I thought they would be huge compared to my size but they fit great. They stay right in place and with every fall ive had so far ive railed rocks right into the pads. the inserts keep the armour lines up so when you fall your knee cap is in the right spot. so far they have saved me. I also dont get eaten by the pedals

HOT HOT HOT! but hey whats a little Sweat.

I'd recommend them and I will continue to wear them. for they money why not.