POC Sports Bone VPD knee/shin guard Armor and Pads

Bone VPD knee/shin guard

The ultimate lower leg protection is achieved with a hardshell shin/knee combo like the POC Bone VPD Leg Guards. Don't be tempted to ride with less just because the guys on the videos do it. This is exactly what you'll be wishing for at the moment you hang your front tire in a soft berm at warp speed, and you and your bike become separate in mid air. Round and round the rider goes, how they'll land, no one knows. POC Bone protection is like insurance for your limbs.The Bone Leg Guards' first defense against impacts is a tough polypropylene shell. It's highly abrasion and penetration resistant. The shields are padded with nicely finished EPP foam liners. The knee however, has the benefit of a dollop of VPD visco-elastic polymer dough. It's soft enough to conform perfectly over your kneecap, but hardens the instant a force is applied, absorbing much of the impact, while cradling and supporting your patella. And for those of you who habitually slip a pedal at inopportune times, there's a pad that ties into the elastic straps and it covers your calf and most of your Achilles. If it's too hot or unnecessary, you can remove this back portion. The elastic strap configuration is quite simple, and the quick release attachment at the outside of the shin is user friendly, offering a quick in-and-out, yet is super secure. Perhaps the greatest aspect of the Bone Leg Guards is the articulated knee -- the straps and padding do not wrap around the back of the knee joint, so there's never that annoying and uncomfortable knot of material that seems to plague other designs.The POC Bone VPD Leg Guards are White w/ black closures. They come in two sizes -- Small and Large.

Reuven Phillips   All Mountain Rider [Mar 28, 2017]
Strength:

Firstly, I bought these on Amazon more in the $90 dollar range if I remember correctly. I essentially switched over from an old set of Race Face Ambush knee pads (which I found hot and uncomfortable). These pads have been wonderful through a number of different mishaps. I ride all mountain in rocky challenging terrian and the plus of these pads is threefold:

1.if you take out the side leg protection you can strap on the pads and they are actually quite airy and well ventilated for a high level of protection
2. They don't disturb my pedaling motion to badly which is very important for me on the significant uphills in my area
3. Most importantly, the times I have fallen they really give excellent protection.

I would point out that i have big muscular legs and they suit me fine. For riders with thin legs they may be a little too loose if you don't put your leg through the leg strap (which makes them hotter)

nothing significant

Go out and buy them if you want top quality leg protection for a decent price. With protection. Everything is too much protection until you have that one bad crash.

monkies   Downhiller [May 26, 2015]
Strength:

They weren't anything to rave about.

They moved, They were huge. They were expensive.

Not a case of 'you get what you pay for.' I lost my old Race Face hard knee/shin pads last year, and just had a crash a few weeks ago and smashed my shin up. So went with the industry top contender POCs. I put them on around the house, and sent them back the next day. The issues:
1. They moved around: On one leg I put pads on around the knee sleeve, and the other I didn't. Without putting these in through the sleeve, they were rotating. Just walking around the house. No way.
2. Protection: the sides of the knees are still exposed, and it felt like the only hit these would take would be a good front on hit.
3. Size: they are humongous looking: It's over the top. Reminds of pads people wore 10 years ago. Unless you are doing some pretty gnar stuff, I don't see the point of these for the average rider.
4. The cost: Way to pricey for what you get. They are just simple knee/shin pads with a bit more comfort than others.

What did I get? The Leatt 3DF knee hybrids (they also have a full shin version, but I liked the semi shin). These protected around the knee, felt like they wrapped around and protected well, and look great. No movement when I actually rode them on the dh trail. See ya POC!

Similar Products Used: Kyle Straits, Race Face hard knee/shin, Leatt 3DF knee/shin.
hapatropix   Weekend Warrior [Apr 10, 2011]
Strength:

Easy to adjust.

Upper Velcro sticks to inside of shorts.

Stays especially well when worn with the sleeve. Rigid fit can be eased by trimming the plastic outer.

Similar Products Used: Roach pads.
rdhfreethought   Downhiller [Nov 13, 2009]
Strength:

I am not satisfied with this product. The calf protection was a good idea. The VPD pad on top of the knee (proximal to the superior patellar tendon) is a good idea.

It moves around/rotates too much.

I wanted to love this product, like I love my POC helmet, and my POC Spine T chest protector. However, it has left me searching for a substitute. I have had several crashes, as noted in my reviews. One thing a guy at Whistler told me "it doesn't matter now well it protects if it doesnt stay put in a crash." Not only am I readjusting my knee armor just about every stop on the trail (both sides exhibit external rotation) but on one recent crash I hit the medial aspect of my knee on a rock. Had the armor been where I had placed it at the beginning of the run, it would have absorbed the impact. As it was, my knee took the hit (which wasn't very severe). After the tumble both sides had rotated around, and no longer covered the exposed extensor surface. I immediately remembered what the guy at Whistler told me. He rides a 661 Knee. I am hoping I can cobble something together, maybe make 2 pieces (POC Shin, and 661 Knee?) and get something that works well. So far I am still searching for a knee/shin as good as the POC helmet and POC spine protector. 3 Chili's since it is better than most on the market, but not the best.

Similar Products Used: Roach Rally
DEST   Downhiller [Jun 24, 2009]
Strength:

great knee pads, very strong, great fit, comfortable, great for guys with MAN legs!!! a plus for me. very well thought out design

expensive but worth every penny

best pads i have ever tried i have big calfs/legs and finding knee pads that the straps fit is a real problem for me i have tried most pads out there and none have ever felt a good as the POC pad expensive but more than worth haveing a comfy set of knee shin pads to protect you.
i would recommend to anyone that can afford them...