Crash Pads 1200 Mountain Bike Pant Armor and Pads

• Drawstring Waist
  • Antibacterial Seat Pad

• User Reviews (5)

dougifresh1   Cross Country Rider [May 19, 2009]
    Strength:

XC rider coverage
    Pedal friendly

Crotch pad catches on seat nose
    rips easily
    np calf zippers

Chamois does not extent far enough back and catches nose of seat on the steeps and finese. Materials tear too easily. But pedaling does not bind pants up. Nice idea, poor construction

Similar Products Used: EVS pp05 shorts-great
    661 shorts-good
    Rusty Pisted   Cross Country Rider [Oct 28, 2000]
    Strength:

Good idea

Poor material and workmanship

The shorts look impressive pictured; however, anything can look good in a picture. I’ve worn these shorts five or six rides. Somehow there are several small holes in the front material. I don’t know where they came from. When I first examined the shorts I called “Crash Pads” and questioned the quality of the shorts. The material seamed too thin and the crotch pad looked cheep. I was assured that the materials in these shorts are made of the strongest and highest quality. Well, I think “Crash Pads” need to open their minds and research the quality products out there. These shorts list for $85. The true value for anyone serious about riding is around $40. Here is what you get: shorts with a crotch that hangs up on the seat, material straight from the ballet factory, no padding for the tailbone or back, pads that only partially cover the side of your legs, poor stitching in the crotch (I have seen better stitching on $15 dollar shorts).

Rob   Cross-Country Rider [Oct 02, 1999]
    Strength:

Light, breathable, good hip pads

Knee shin pads all but worthless. No Ankle zippers. Lycra grabs and tears easily.

I really thought these would be the best combination of lightweight, breathable protection available. And to some extent, they might be. But that doesn't mean that they are good.The pants themselves are more or less a pair of low-end tights with a chamois. They have an inner area that it is mesh. The mesh is sturdy and really helps cool things down. There are two zones of pads. The hip and side pads are well placed and sturdy enough for XC biffs. All the pads are relatively high-density foam so they won't prevent bad things from bad falls (like rocks at DH speeds); but that doesn't mean they won't help. There isn't a tail bone pad like on some padded tights but I've never felt I needed a pad there anyway. Of the 3,456 falls I've taken using the pads, like the user below, I can say the hip/side pads really work well, don't move around, and perhaps the best thing I can say is that you forget they are there.As for the lower knee shin pads, they are poop. The primary problem is that the lower pads, also foam, are flat, unlike the shape of one's legs which are curved. The result is that the lower part of the pants rotate inward and leaving the knee/shin area exposed. Thinking it might be my legs causing the problem, I let three others use them (and one other guy had bought them the same time I did.... All had the same problem.Putting the pants on is no big deal. Taking them of is a real hassle. There are no zippers and because the pads go all the way to the bottom, the are very, very, difficult to get over your ankles and feet. This makes putting them on/off/on for long rides not a lot of fun.While lycra isn't a good choice for abrasion resitance, that's the trade-off to keep them light and cool. The bottom line there is the materials choice makes it more likely that you will/can wear them.I really wanted to like these things. But those lower pads are so hosed up that I don't. While I too found the customer service (owner, designer, etc.) very helpful when I ordered them, it was a different story when I called her back to give her some customer feed back. As soon as I listed a couple things that could be improved, she was not only defensive and not listening, she told me that professional DHers all over the world were using the pants. I asked her to give me the name of just one, but she couldn't think of one off the top of her head...I am trying to figure out how I can sew the Fox 911 knee/shin guards (they slip and move around... not a good setup...) where the Crashpad's poop pads are now. That might be a good setup. It's too bad because with good lower protection and some zippers, these would be a great way to save some skin and remain pretty comfortable. So, really think before you buy these things (unless they change them...). On the other hand, I'd imagine that the Crashpad shorts work really well. Ratings are tough, but giving them better than average is my way of saying that what's out there is pretty bad.

Similar Products Used: Fox 911. Core Rat armor.
    bart   Cross-Country Rider [Mar 19, 1999]
    Strength:

pads work well and are unobtrusive.

i've been riding with these pads for over a year now, through all seasons and they work great.
    i am a XC rider, day and night, and have been using various padded tights for about 4 years. These are by far the best i've tried. They have a breathable mesh on the back of the leg to keep you cool. The pads are segmented so you don't notice any binding or restriction of movement. The pad placement is well thought out and has protected me in a number of crashes, from wash outs in corners to endos. After a year they show only minimal signs of wear . If you crash and are tired of the skin abrasion, dented knee caps and ripped jerseys try these out!
    They are worth the money. Plus itsd a fast friendly service.
    Their number is 1800-964-5993

Similar Products Used: sugoi, evs
    victor jerez   Cross-Country Rider [Dec 01, 1999]
    Strength:

comfortable, offer some level of protection without being obtrusive

I agree with the first reviewer that the knee-shin pads need some redesign. I have not had any problem with the shin pads rotating but I do find that the knee pads are not nearly protective enough. One issue with the knee pad is that it covers only a small area, and what is the likelyhood of getting whacked squarely on the knee cap? If you take a whack just above the knee, as my bro did, with these you'd be SOL. Nonetheless I do think they are a good compromize solution for the x-c rider. I ride this with EVS's ballistic jersey in the NE rocky singletrack. So far so good.

Nice for x-c not enough for d-h. Let's all call and tell them to redesign the pads. How about some plastic too?
    4 flaming turds cuz they are almost there...