Xpedo Mountain Force SL/CR Pedals Pedal

Mountain Force SL/CR Pedals

Xpedo Mountain Force Clipless Mountain Pedals Tension adjustable: IndexTo have 16 positions of adjustability 2 cartridge/1 sealed bearing Shimano compatible SPD cleat Basic platform allows use with either clipless or sporting shoes Ti Axle weight restriction! Xpedo recommends a 175 pound rider weight limit forThe Mag/Ti andTheTi/Ti

Chris   Racer [Jan 17, 2014]
Strength:

The weight to cost ratio is pretty amazing here. I have now had these little guys on my hardtail for YEARS..and not a single issue/failure/shortfall. Entry and exit have always been dependable and predictable. The bearings are buttery-smooth, and it's all easily re-buildable if ever you need to do it.

None.

The XPEDO products in general are very well built, with features not found on pedals from more "known" brands. The road pedals are amazing too! I am an XPEDO-phile for life!

markander   Cross Country Rider [Oct 04, 2008]
Strength:

easy release (after stretching out the spring), works with shimano cleats, adjustable

too stiff out of the box

These pedals came stock on my Fuji Outland Pro. I had not used clipless pedals before and the stiffness of these concerned me, because I ride some fairly steep and technical trails in Phoenix. I found that I could greatly loosen the spring tension by prying the clamp part all the open a few times with a screwdriver. I also bought some Shimano multi-release cleats and they work well with the pedals.

Ian Hatton   Weekend Warrior [Aug 12, 2007]
Strength:

Clips ya in and when I'm going air born in the bad way, I can get still get unclipped.
Hard to beat the price point

They broke on me after about a year, I was left to flop over unable to clip and knocked over the guy in front of me. No Joke.
I was never happy with how hard it was to clip and unclip

They where cheap and they worked for a while, but the performance went down the drain pretty quickly.

Similar Products Used: These are my first Clipless pedals
Sérgio Mourato   Cross Country Rider [Aug 09, 2007]
Strength:

Easy Clip in and out; more lighter (312gr) than Shimano XTR (325gr); Cheap for the weight; Very Stylish; Standard SPD that makes possible to almost everyone mounts the bike without need to change cleats. I changed from Shimano to X-Pedo and I'm using old cleats.

None so far.

Until now I believe they worth any € I gave for them. Excelent weight for the price (less than Shimano XTR that costs the double) very easy clip in-out. Very stillish pedals.

Similar Products Used: Shimano PD-M424
Alun Thomas   Cross Country Rider [Apr 03, 2006]
Strength:

Simple, Reliable

Technical - uses bushes instead of roller bearings

Although the xpedo pedals use bushes instead of roller bearings they have proved reliable as I have done 9-10 thousand kilometers now on these pedals with no problems. I do maintain them at least every 500k with fresh grease, of which i use the heaviest, thickest compund i could find to prevent wear. It's easy to do you just remove the cap on the outer edge of the pedal/ fill it with grease and screw it back in. This forces the grease through the pedal and out through the seal on the other side, from where you wipe it off. Have had no real problems, although my right foot has worn a groove in the right hand pedal due to my wierd offset pedalling style I unconciously use. This would get 5 if it used rollers.

Similar Products Used: none
Scott Hayes   Weekend Warrior [Oct 09, 2005]
Strength:

Weight, shed mud well. Price?

No inboard bearing. Low reliability.

This is an update to earlier review. My bike has been making a clicking sound, like a bb failure for 3-4 months. I never suspected the pedals as they were only 6 months old. Until today. I happened to try to wiggle the left pedal to check for play. Sure enough, there was enough play that I can wiggle it and feel it. The right pedal was worse!
I coulda actually hear the 'click' that has been haunting me on my climbs! I took the pedal apart(a very simple process) and to my surprise there is only one REAL bearing.
The end has a bearing under the cap and a retaining nut. The other end is a bushing bearing, and allows for no adjustment or replacement that I can tell. So I put on my old Nashbar clipless that I paid 20 bucks for in 1998, and they are still as tight as new and the clicking is gone. Even if xpedo GAVE me new pedals I wouldn't take them as it is a design flaw and the new pair will probably wear out as well. I thought I got a good price, but if the reliability is so bad I really got screwed.

Similar Products Used: Shim. 424. Nashbar special.
David Shanahan   Weekend Warrior [Feb 14, 2006]
Strength:

light, open design sheds mud, looks cool (so what)

none so far

I saw these on ebay and was intrigued by the open design - not as skeletal as eggbeaters, but definitely more open and lighter than the Shimano 520, (and butt cheap!) I took a chance on the SS version and have been very pleased. A bit easier to get into and out of than the Shimano. So far the pedal has sustained one hard impact- in a turn at pretty good speed, I hit a granite baby head directly on the pedal hard enough to lift the bike off the ground. To my surprise, the pedal showed no ill effect. So far, nothing to complain about.

Similar Products Used: shimano 505, 520
Martin Gaxiola   Weekend Warrior [Jan 26, 2006]
Strength:

Very good product

none so far.

My first clip pedals and its has been a good experience. This are a very good quality pedals, I am friend of the rocks and all kind of trees and never been a problem, i had hard crashes in races and also nothing. It was very easy to start in with the clip pedals. I will recomend this pedals.

Similar Products Used: never
Brian   Cross Country Rider [Nov 09, 2006]
Strength:

Easy enty and exit, adjustable, fairly light,

Very good pedals that can be had for a reasonable price. The entry and exit on the Xpedo's are as good as Shimano without the excess weight.

So far these pedals have been durable, are easy to keep clean. There performace in mud is acceptable but I try to avoid riding in mud anyway.

I have a pair of the Ti/Mag version on my hardtail and despite the negative reviews, they are also performing well.