Xpedo Mountain Force Mag-TI Pedals Pedal

Mountain Force Mag-TI Pedals

Xpedo Mag Ti Mountain Force pedals are an awesome set of pedals that blend strength, druability, and weight savings in a way that few other pedals on the market can. Magnesium body and a hollow Titanium spindle offer supremely low weight. Sealed cartrid

mark kovacic   All Mountain Rider [Jul 20, 2012]
Strength:

I wanted something lighter then Shimano SPD pedals and after reading some of the negative reviews I took a chance anyway. Some of the reviews are 5 years old so improvements could have been made to address some of the breakage problems. I have had them a year and have done several races with no problems including one mudfest. I am right at the weight limit but have bashed them on rocks and they still work great. I take care of my equipment and so check bolts, lube and clean my parts on a regular basis. If you are used to Shimano pedals you will have to adjust to a smaller platform and maybe fine tune the release pressure plus a few miles to get comfortable.

None so far but I do clean and tune on a consistent basis. If you expect parts that take a pounding to last forever without some attention, then you are being unrealistic.

I think this is a great product. Maybe xpedo has addressed some of the problems from several years ago and improved those areas. I have friends that ride their bikes everyday but never do any maintenance and wonder when something breaks or falls apart. They then declare it to be junk. You have to get real and check you bolts for tightness and lube occasionally as is recommended by every product manual that come with the bike parts. I am talking about that manual that most never read and throw away.

Similar Products Used: Various Shimano SPD pedals
funnyjr   Weekend Warrior [Nov 02, 2010]
Strength:

They were amazingly light and looked great on my bike. Bearings smooth. Got them on discount so thought it was a great deal. Also I like the fact they are SPD compatible

Well, after reading the reviews left by others for these pedals, I thought that I would not have the problems that others were facing in that the metal tab breaking and rendering the pedals clip mechanism useless, since Iam a relatively light rider and try not to bash my pedals. Low and behold on a group ride I recently did, my left foot stopped clipping in mid way through the ride. I was forced to ditch as I could not keep up with only one pedal working. I made it home to discover, yep, same thing others faced, bent metal tab and tension screwed up. My LBS took care of me and gave me a full refund. Back to Shimano I guess.

I am tempted to try the Ti/Ti ones which seem to have a different design (no metal tab) but somewhat have second thoughts about XPEDO brand now. XTR seem to be more trustworthy at this point.

Similar Products Used: Shimano 925? 945? which were heavier but bullet proof.
mtbne1   Racer [Nov 12, 2008]
Strength:

I've never broken any part of my Ti/Ti pedals over many thousands of miles of racing/riding. The cleats are easy to engage in the mud and I've never pulled out of them, even when hammering up nasty steepness.

None: I always laugh when my riding friends bash and bend their Egg-Beaters!

Every user's story will be different but the sign of a good product to me is to install it and forget about it....these pedals have done just that.

Similar Products Used: Egg-Beaters, Shimano (various).
TERENCEREYES   Cross Country Rider [Jun 05, 2008]
Strength:

this review is for the M-Force Ti-Ti
very light for SPD only 210g, slick design, well engineered
perfoms well, great price and awesome customer service.

minor, and easy to fix problem:
make sure to put lock-tight on the end caps to keep it tight and screwed. and this will save you from having any problems. you probably won't need to do it on the new ones because,(hopefully)they figured it out already.

If you like SPD, this one is recommended
very light, not too expensive, very nice, performs well, only problem I had was the end cap fell while riding.
just make sure its tight and screwed
(add lock tight or something similar on end caps)
and they stand behind their products very well
they replaced it, no problem. I hope this will help them
improve thir product even better.
I give it an A+

Similar Products Used: shimano spd. ritchey spd,
Chris   Racer [Aug 20, 2007]
Strength:

The hollow Ti spindles have held up EXTREMELY well, considering I exceed the weight limit by 35 lbs. No creaking, no locking up in mud. EXCELLENT pedal, and I would never buy Shimano stuff again based on the value of the Xpedo stuff. They have taken massive beatings and still work flawlessly. No creaking thanks to NO bushings, and they are still as tight as the day they were put on the bike!

Standard Shimano cleat works a little better, but I still am running the factory Xpedo cleat just outta spite and have had NO premature releases.

No better, lighter, tougher pedal out there. I have TWO broken ankles in Shimano pedals (when in mud), and the Egg Beater Ti's are heavier and more expensive by a great deal. Go get the XPEDO's and spend the difference on beer and tacos!

Similar Products Used: Crank Bros EVERYTHING, Shimano everything, and some Time stuff. I use the Mtn Force pedals on my Titus road and mtn bikes!
Gary   Cross Country Rider [Jul 09, 2007]
Strength:

They're light and look nice in the package.

Not at all durable--one moderate contact with a rock caused the clip on one side of the pedal to break.

I was drawn to these by the "deal" of getting a $180 list price pedal for $40. Generally I research gear carefully before buying, but for $40, I figured, what's to lose? One of the clips broke after one ride, and I then wasted 2 hrs trying to repair it--what junk!

Similar Products Used: Shimano 520
Andrew   Racer [Jul 04, 2007]
Strength:

Incredibly light and have that "wow" appeal.

Just about everything.

The pedals are now two years old and ready for the bin. I'm able to clip-in OK but clipping out is impossible sometimes and on occasions dangerous (particularly when you need to clip out in a hurry). I have to twist my foot 90 degrees most times to get out.

The metal is so soft that the corners of the clamp holding the cleat in place have worn away.

I've crashed just once and it's completely scraped away the side rendering it impossible to now open the pedals for maintenance.

The inside the pedals you'll find a very small ring of bearings at the very outside edge but the main part rotates on a bushing mechanism. One of the pedals has a sideways play of about 1mm while the other is about 3mm. To my liking this amount of play is too much for a pedal costing 140euro.

Too higher price to pay for a pedal that lasts just 2 years (3,500km / 2,100 miles)

Pasi   [Jan 27, 2007]
Strength:

Extremely light 230g. SPD with adjustable tensioning. Excellent mud and snow shedding ability.

Not the easiest to clip into, compared to Shimano clipless pedals due to square design. Have to be careful with the magnesium pedal body, as it is soft and damages easily.

These are just about the lightest SPD pedals around. If weight is important and you are kind to your pedals, these will do the job. Otherwise, go with '07 Shimano XTR PD-M970 pedals and the extra 100g of weight.

Similar Products Used: Shimano PD-M520, PD-M515, PD-M424
dan   Cross Country Rider [Sep 24, 2005]
Strength:

I claimed to have fixed the problem in my last review,not so. When performance is needed my fix will cause a pre-release when you need performance. If you liked my fix idea try JB weld to hold the wire in place. Junk Junk Junk.

Clip in and out as good as shimano.I mean it.When your going down they release every time.

These will last only a ride or two. Junk. A rebuild kit with beefier clips would be nice.
I wish this company good luck, they almost have a great pedal
I will put these on the road bike and try to remember I`m limited.

Similar Products Used: Heavy Shimano 515s 505s
Matt   Racer [Mar 07, 2006]
Strength:

**This review is for the TI/TI model**
Light, looks, ease of use

light parts are always spendy

**This is a review for the TI/TI model**
When I first got these pedals it took a ride or so to dial in the right tension for release and one pedal was a little stiffer on the spindal when you would try and spin it with your hand. but after some ride time they have turned out to be excellent pedals.
My brother has raced the same pedal for 2 years and although they say it has a 185 lbs weight limit, he is 205 and a hammerhead and his look as good after 2 solid years of racing 15 plus races a year and training rides as mine do after a couple of months. no damage or severe wear (thats why I ended up getting these over egg beaters, save weight and a $150) in previous posts with the mag ti it talks about losing the tension screw, with these you can't it is set within a bracket. I say if you find a hot deal on them get them they are drop dead sexy!

Similar Products Used: variety of shimano, azonic, crank bros, wellgo etc.