Wellgo MG-18 Ti Pedal

MG-18 Ti

Cast magnesium body offers the same durable performance as aluminum, at an even lighter weight. Single rear jaw mechanisms resists twisting or jamming, and are built tough to stand up to the abuse that pedals must endure. Adjustable release tension allows a wide range of settings to suit every type of rider. Titanium axles (with corrosion-resistant titanium nitride coating) offer a great balance of lightweight and affordability, and spin on ultra-smooth cartridge bearings.

Hugo   Cross Country Rider [May 31, 2003]
Strength:

Lightweight, Price

Noisy, Retaining clip broke

Clicks, squeeks even when not under much of a load and even on the upstroke. Lubing only helps temporarily. About a month after I bought mine, my friend bought a set too. His are just as noisy as mine. About two weeks ago, the metal retain clip broke off of one of his pedals. I initially thought that he must have hit a rock or something, but last week, the same thing happened to mine. Good luck trying to track down Wellgo for replacement parts. The noise I can deal with. The clip is a mfg. defect in my opinion. I would not recommend them. I've had pedals that cost half as much and did not have this much trouble with although they were a little heavier. I'll probably be trying the eggbeaters next.

Similar Products Used: Other Wellgo products, Ritchies, Shimano
marco righetti   Weekend Warrior [Dec 16, 2001]
Strength:

lightweight,has a platform,hopefully durability!

harder to clip into than my time atac ti/carbon

i'll be honest,i only got these pedals because of the weight saving but so far i've not been dissapointed but they are slightly more difficult to clip into than my time atacs but no big deal!
although i'm waiting for the egg beaters ti versions.
i'm only giving two chillis for value as i had to pay £25 extra to the delivery guy for taxes and other charges.

Similar Products Used: time atac carbon/ti and polymid times
Jeff Adams   Weekend Warrior [Apr 19, 2007]
Strength:

LightWeight, Long Service life.

These pedals lasted 6 years of mountain biking, then were put on my roadbike when my one sided welgo road pedals failed me. I was very happy with them. The ultimate failure was the plastic sleave. It just twisted off instead of unscrewing when I went to service them. They had been apart before successfully, but that was their death. Excellent overall

Similar Products Used: Other Wellgo pedals, Shimano m959, shimano m540
tom kimbrough   [Jan 14, 2002]
Strength:

light

one pedal has the axle drilled out the standard 1/4 inch.
the other is drilled almost an inch deep, taking it past the outside plane of the crank. supergo said most of the pedal sets are this way but they haven't heard of any breaking. why is there a difference in the two pedals? is there a problem with wellgo's quality control? i'll go ahead and use them but with reservations.....

i have looked for an address for wellgo with no luck. maybe my lawyer can find them if they break and i get hurt.

Jeff Whitmoyer   Cross Country Rider [Dec 24, 2001]
Strength:

Weight & Price

These are a great value. Why pay more for a brandname, functionallity is the key. They are some of the lightest pedals out there. A little stiff clipping in at first but getting better as I spend more time in the saddle.

Similar Products Used: Other Wellgos
Vince Klakovich   Cross Country Rider [Apr 28, 2004]
Strength:

Light weight, easy exit

Noisy

I am very pleased with these pedals. On sale for $50, I thought, what the hell, I'll give them a try. They do make a clicking noise when spinning, but cleaning and lubing takes care of it. If these last a couple years, they will be the best bike part purchase I ever made.

Similar Products Used: Shimano 515s
Hui   Cross Country Rider [Apr 01, 2003]
Strength:

Good weigh to price ratio. Clipping out is a breeze if the tension spring is set to the lowest setting. Enough float, but my knees aren't bad so I can't really tell. It works.

Hard to clip in and out in extremely muddy and gritty conditions. Noting special about it except the ti spindles.

A great value for casual riding and weight savings. Probably not good for where a lot of clipping in and out occurs. Not so good for extreme muddy conditions.

Buy it if you are a weight weenie on a budget and don't mind an standard unexceptional pedal. I give 4 for overall since it's weight is pretty good.

Similar Products Used: Toe clips!
Chris   Weekend Warrior [Jan 09, 2003]
Strength:

Very light; require very little maintenance; adjustable clip in/out tension very predictable.

Sometimes have problems clipping in on the go, but I think thats par for SPD's.

Great weight for money; peform well; require little maintenance; have continued to work well despite repeated bashings into rocks, etc.

Similar Products Used: Other Wellgo and Shimano SPD's
Robert   Racer [Dec 11, 2002]
Strength:

Light weight, ease of entry, no unplanned releases...sheds mud!

Squeeks sometimes...yeah it's nit-picky!

I bought these pedals because of the light weight and my Ritcheys wore out. I rode them for many months without even giving them a second thought, they just always worked as advertised. Then I had a race on a rather wet and muddy course. I was concerned about there performance, because most shimano's and my ritcheys were horrible in the rain. Well half way through the race I noticed that I wasn't having any problem whatsoever getting in or out of the pedals...I was totally amazed. I can't explain why, but these pedals seem to work almost flawlessy in muddy conditions. They are by far the best pedals that I've used!

Similar Products Used: Shimano and Ritchey spd's.
Mossy   Cross Country Rider [Nov 21, 2002]
Strength:

weight, price, "universality"

weak retention clips?

Function as well as any other Shimano clone Ive tried, which is to say pretty good in dry, marginal entry/release performance in mud. They are nice and light, with decent interface. Havent noticed any problems with noise, they pedal quite smoothly.

I did break one of the retention clips (on the "toe" side) on a rock hit. Luckily, I was able to salvage one from an old pair of Nashbars I had -- not a perfect match, but it works well enough.

I was interested in trying Times or Eggbeaters, but didnt want to change cleats on all three pairs of shoes I use.

Overall, a good investment for the weight-conscious, but mudders might want to look elsewhere.