Wellgo Epik M7 Pedal

Epik M7

• Completely redesigned mechanism* resistant to mud accumulation
  • Easier cleat engagement thanks to wider front port
  • Lightweight hard anodized forged alloy body
  • Hollow, conical shaped Cr-Mo axle with sealed bearings
  • Adjustable retention tension with ??° of lateral float, thus reducing risk of knee injury
  • SPD compatible, but not with Shimano SH51 cleats
  • Cr-mo axle 300g/pr
  • Titanium axle 260g/pr

• User Reviews (6)

sc-rider   Cross Country Rider [Jan 19, 2002]
    Strength:

great for mud, fairly lightweight, good price (esp. compared to Shimano 969's)

small amout of float (4 deg), proprietary cleat (not shimano spd compatible), interference with shoe - see below

I recently saw these in a bike shop and since my Ritcheys are pretty worn out after almost 3 seasons (loose bearings, missing/broken screws), I decided to try these based on their looks and light weight (mine weigh 303gr, 357gr with cleats+screws - sure like to find the titanium ones). First couple of rides, they worked ok (great in mud that always gave problems for my Ritcheys), but I noticed some hesitation every once in a while on the release which started to bother more and more. They come with a small spacer you can put under the cleat if the soles on your shoes are something like 6mm thick or more (I use Sidi dominator II's), so I tried that, but no noticeable improvement - in fact, it seemed like the cleat sometimes got hung up on the pedal. So I studied the shoe/pedal interface, and noticed the claws on the pedal that the cleat clips into actually rest on the bottom of the shoe (or rather, the shoe rests on them), and the outside sole of the shoe was touching the outside platform of the pedal, so lowering the cleat with the spacer wasn't helping any.

Here's what I did and they work PERFECT now: Using a dremel tool, I ground a small amount (about 1-2mm) off the outside lugs of my shoes where they hit the pedal (both on the inside near the crank and outside) , and now there is a huge difference in how they release - no problems at all! I got this idea from when I modified another pair of shoes for my beebops - which is essential for them to work right(they are great for dry conditions but don't handle the type of mud where I ride at all).

Overall I'm really happy with them now, but I'm a little disappointed I had to adjust my shoes to get them to work right. Also, they use a cartridge bearing on one end and a bushing on the other, which for this price of pedal is ok and from my experience of other wellgos should hold up ok. I hope others don't give up on them too soon since they seem like a great value for a reasonably lightweight mud pedal!

Similar Products Used: ritchey logic pro, beebops, (have tried shimano 858s, 535s, cheap wellgos)
    Rick   Cross Country Rider [Aug 11, 2003]
    Strength:

Inexpensive, smooth running bearings on both sides, easy to grease the bearings, lighter & cheaper than SPD's, good clip-in & release feel

need to apply lube to cleat contact points on a regular basis

These pedals work fine, just drip some lube on those cleat contact points and there are no problems with the release. You can buy 3 pairs of these for the same price as 1 pair of eggbeaters or SPD's. Smash'um up and replace them on an annual basis. You can't go wrong with these pedals.

Similar Products Used: lot's
    Joey Jones   Weekend Warrior [May 05, 2003]
    Strength:

They look good

Unpredictable when it comes to un clipping

The guys at the bike shop told me that I would take a few spills while getting aquainted with the clipless peddals...expecially being that I've never went clipless before. I feel that I took more than my fair share of falls. Even at times when I was just standing over the bike, I would get that occasional lean to the side that I was clipped into and WHAMMM...I'm giving a new meaning to the term shoulder press. I'm an avid rider and pretty atheletic. My quickness has gotten me out of jams on numerous occasions. Whey can I seem to unclip from these things even when it feels like I'm falling in slow motion. I've tried adjusting the tension but still no cigar. I love the added control that the clipless pedals give me when jumping, but if I continue to be horizontal everytime I hit some soft sand or lean the wrong way at a stand still, I may have to go back to my platforms.

Similar Products Used: none
    daniel   Weekend Warrior [Sep 16, 2004]
    Strength:

light-weight, easy to clip in and out, look nice, simple

seem to make a squeaking noise in hot weather, probably just because i never grease them inside

i just wanted to submit a review to counterpoint everyone else's, as i have had no problem clipping in or out. in fact i find them infinitely easier to use than the shimanos i had before. i never grease or adjust them and have no problems. however, i should note that i don't ride much off-road, so it could make a little difference.

Similar Products Used: shimano something-or-other
    sc-rider   [Apr 26, 2002]

update from my review above - I noticed after crossing streams these pedals don't release consistently, but if I put a small amount of lube on the cleat, it goes back to normal - and stays ok for a long time, or until it washes off again. It seems to go between almost way to easy to release with lube, to almost can't release in time before I fall. Perhaps grease won't wash off as easily... I'm going to downgrade my previous reveiw since I'm always worrying about whether my pedals will release ok after walking through mud and water, and because they aren't compatible with Shimano cleats (big problem when switching pedals/bikes that are SPD)

Pedro de la Lapso   Cross Country Rider [Oct 18, 2007]
    Strength:

Looks good

Clets ve got not enough grid to shoe and can move so in critical situation ya stay clicked in pedals!Suicide pedals.Have to get clicked oposite way as SPD=back first it is stupid as one run uphill....

Looks good but for me useless and dangerous