Wellgo 801 Clipless MTB Pedal

801 Clipless MTB

Christian   Weekend Warrior [Aug 26, 2003]
Strength:

Price. Light weight. Fairly easy to get in and out.

Performance in the mud.

Best pedals out there for the price. They don't work nearly as well as my egg beaters, but they were $70 cheaper. Considering the price, they work well and mine were very durable. Just be careful on rainy days. These pedals don't like mud.

Similar Products Used: Shimanos and Egg Beaters
Ty   Weekend Warrior [Mar 06, 2002]
Strength:

Nice price that included cleats. You cannot go wrong with pedals like these for your first set of clipless. I have rode several times and they are sweet. Pop in and pop out, even in mud. Would be nice to have a little more rotation to ease the tension on the knee.

Float is only 5%

The Wellgo 801's are working fine on the GT Huffy I own

Similar Products Used: None
Walter   Weekend Warrior [Jul 18, 2002]
Strength:

-cheap
-easy to adjust
-easy to clean
-easy to get in and out (after PRACTICE)
-positive click on in and out
-will make you ride BETTER

-possibly the lack of float/movement

Get them they work very well. Ideal for a first set of clipless pedals. Actually, I think I will be keeping these on my next bike, just incase those stock Shimanos dont work as well.

Similar Products Used: first clipless
Eric   Weekend Warrior [Mar 12, 2004]
Strength:

cheap

i dont ride very much, so for starting on clipless, i thought 30 bucks was a good deal to see how it went. do not get these pedals, the release is horrible, front of cleat sticks, and you have to twist so far, the cleat has a tendancy to twist in its shoe mount. however, that is not the worst of it. i've probably put a total of 40 miles on these pedals, and in one stupid fall over wreck where i was trying to get out quickly, the front of on of the clips breaks off, killing the rest of the ride. you get what you pay for, get better than this.

dont get these pedals, spend the extra cast and get a decent pair.

Similar Products Used: none
Jason   Weekend Warrior [May 09, 2007]
Strength:

Very Tough. Good Price.

I used this pedal for 7 years and rode weekly. After about 4 years I had to pull the axle out and grease it but then it was good as new. Finally at the end of the 7th season the rear claws broke on both sides of the pedal. This pedal exceeded my expectations and lasted about 4 times longer than I thought it would. I put it through very rough conditions, the metal casting was wore down a lot from smashing on rocks and still the cleat part held up extremely well. I would recommend it to anyone.

Similar Products Used: Shimano clipless in same price range.
Matthew   Cross Country Rider [Aug 30, 2006]
Strength:

Over 5k miles, and 6 years of use and still going strong with no problems.

Weight

This was my first set of clipless pedals, and I havent had to buy a new set since. Although most of the paint is worn off, they still work perfectly. I am a very neglectful person to my pedals, never lubing them.
They will take a bit of adjusting at first but once it is right you will never have to change the tightness again.

I am serious, I bought these in 98 or 99, gone through 2 bikes and 3 pairs of shoes (only because my feet got bigger) and have never had problems other than rocks sticking in my shoe and keeping me from clipping in.

I would recommend these to anybody who cares about durability rather than weight.

Similar Products Used: Shimano xtr
Kevin   Weekend Warrior [Mar 18, 2003]
Strength:

Price.

Not user friendly. There is no reference point to ensure that you can clip in and out quickly. This makes getting going quickly very difficult.

I bought these pedals so that I could save some money and use the same shoes and pedals for my road and mountainbike. Unfortunately it was a bad decision. The price was right, but that was about it. I love the Sidi shoes, but hate these pedals. It's difficult to get clipped in quickly. I have had two bad experiences where I thought I was unclipped but actually wasn't when I wanted to stop...These things are dangerous. I should have gone with the Look pedals I was looking at. In all fairness, once you get going these pedals are fairly responsive.

Similar Products Used: None
Danny DeLozier   Cross Country Rider [Jan 18, 2003]
Strength:

Wellgo SPD 813 - None

Rear clip retainer has broke on both sides of my left pedal.
You can find parts anywhere to try and repair the part.
Looks like it is a weak or bad piece in the design.

Stay away from them . It isn't any fun when you break these pieces out on a ride and you have to limp home. Nobody needs a part that breaks .No matter the cost. They should build them bulletproof.

Similar Products Used: Nashbar, Ascent , Look
Robert Farr   Cross Country Rider [Jun 23, 2005]
Strength:

Inexpensive

Unpredictable release!!
No release!!

A perfectly acceptable pedal for low-key MTB cruising, but for more spirited and technical challenges these things are lame.

And they cost me my confidence. They released when I was just riding along -- nevermind when I needed them to be there for a quick honk up a hill. AND they often failed to release when I was tetering on the brink of a steep rock that I knew required me to dab. I've taken too many tumbles because I couldn't get a foot out of these darned things. Anybody want some pedals cheap?