Transition Bikes Stepdown Pedal

• Sealed Bearings
  • Replaceable Pins
  • Custom CNC'd body

Casey   [Sep 17, 2013]
Strength:

Large Platform

Spikes almost impossible to replace. Heavy. Poor quality bearings.

These were a Christmas gift of '12 and the left pedal bearing failed 9 months later. They never loosened up and spun freely. I called them and they told me they would eventually. I thought they were a good pedal from all the good reviews. I had some $15 plastic pedals that lasted about 2k miles longer than these and I beat them to death. I would not recommend these. Believe me, you do not need a pedal fly off on a quick down hill, race or miles from home. Not worth the money.

Bemiller   [Jul 15, 2013]
Strength:

Lightweight, aesthetic, grippy, wide, inexpensive

I've had these pedals on 3 different bikes with more intensive riding with each bike. I have never had an issue with these. I wear them w/ 5.10 Freerider pros and my feet are glued to the pedals, to shift I actually have to lift my foot because they are so firmly planted. I highly recommend these pedals.

modelo151   Downhiller [Jun 27, 2011]
Strength:

Awesome pedals, no issues with bearings after three years. Will purchase again for sure.

None so far

good pedals for the money. Not good if the pedal falls off like the review below me.Overall I think they are great!

Similar Products Used: Kona jacksh*t, crapbrothers 5050, wellgos
Hangtime   Weekend Warrior [Jan 25, 2010]
Strength:

Product Update from JOHN below.

These are still going strong after a couple of wet PNW winters. I'm now putting a pair on my wife's bike and a third pair on my FR/DH bike. Great quality..

Similar Products Used: 50/50XX
DHR Pinner   Downhiller [Sep 28, 2009]
Strength:

Fairly large platform. Good looks.

Pedal fell off on day 3 in Whistler. Not fun. Pedal fell off the spindle. I am guessing the bearing seized and striped off the spindle threads. I have no use for pedal that fall off! Hopefully Transition will give me a new pair to sell on ebay and I will go get another set of Kona Wah Wah's.

Not happy...I want to try them again if I get a new set, but am a little afraid of the quality...

Similar Products Used: Kona, Sunline, Welgo
Freeride_Rayward   Downhiller [Sep 10, 2009]
Strength:

What a sick pedal! Big platform, excellent pin placement, sick colors (I got the gold), and all at a mad low price. I fitted mine with 8mm long pins (muahaha) and have never remembered slipping off. Combined with 510's, the grip is near clip ins...

Bit heavy, could be tighter on the axle.

Mad pedal for the price. Run with long pins and you get the best grip around!

Similar Products Used: Felt branded pedals (great but upgraded to stepdowns)
andykrow   Downhiller [Aug 29, 2009]
Strength:

Weight, looks, strength, grip, thin profile, wide platform

pins are sort of short, anodizing wears quickly

I can't imagine buying another pedal after buying these. One year of riding them really hard and they still spin great, have no play whatsoever, and no metal chunks coming off either. And I've bashed them pretty hard. They're really much thinner than most other pedals out there too. They look expensive too... I can't imagine why anyone would buy pedals that cost 2-3x as much when these are out there.

Couple things that might bug people: First, the anodizing wears quickly. When I first got these I did about a week of really muddy riding (gritty colorado mud...) and the anodizing began to wear through and show some fading in spots. I think it looks cool but it might bother some people. Second, the pins they came with weren't quite as long as I wanted, especially in the mud. It was easy enough to fix though - I just picked up "grub" screws at the hardware store that were the length I wanted. (metric grub screws or set screws, I think m3 size but I don't remember anymore) Voila! Possibly more grip than I need...

Similar Products Used: sheesh...too many!
tombo615   Weekend Warrior [Aug 31, 2008]
Strength:

Lite, good looking, strong, excellent pin placement, durability, cost in comparison to similar platform pedals

none that i know of yet

After riding a few pretty hairy downhill trails I decieded to ditch the clipless and go pack to platforms. I was skeptical of how good these pedals could be in comparison to way more expensive pedals, but they really are awesome. Use them with a good set of grippy shoes like 5.10 high impacts and your feet are NOT leaving the pedals. If you place your foot on the pedals wrong you have to lift your foot back up because there is absolutely no sliding with these bad boys. Overall excellent product for the money, I'd recommend them for anyone who wants an inexpensive set of great pedals.