Tioga Surefoot Pedal

Full CNC Machined Alloy Body. CNC machining keeps weight down but maintains strength and durability. 32 Adjustable/Removable Pins. Adjust the pins for your shoes and riding style. Low Profile Design. Enables riders to really lean into those turns! Cartridge Bearings= Long life and durability. Matte black. 460g

Beth Hamon   [Oct 13, 2012]
Strength:

Big, flat platform for almost any shoe. Tough, lightweight for the size and shape, long replacement pins are grippy and can be had at a hardware store. Sealed bearings are dreamy-smooth.

Getting very hard to find!

Stop looking! This is THE pedal.

Ryan   Weekend Warrior [May 29, 2012]
Strength:

Super grippy, not too heavy considering...

They are hard to get anymore, and when I found them they were pretty $$$

I have been using the same set of these pedals for about 4 years, I frickin' love these things. They have been on about 5 different bikes, and have been to Whistler, Colorado, Oregon, Washington, California... These are the best pedals EVER. If you are worried about weight, then why are you reading this? Plus, you can buy replacement pins at Home Depot. They are like a combination between Fergie & Jesus.

genny1   Weekend Warrior [Mar 16, 2011]
Strength:

These are excellent, strong pedals with good concave platform. Pins plus pair of FiveTens are very grippy indeed. Pedals spin well. As far as profile and weight, they are not either the thinnest or lightest (460 grams/pair), but for those not needing to worry about an extra 100 grams and who want a very durable, high performing pedal all for $60, this is a really good choice.

None really. Are not thinnest and lightest, but not designed to be. Among comparables, they would be tough to beat.

A great pedal choice for those looking for a durable, grippy, well-designed pedal.

amirh1   Weekend Warrior [Aug 27, 2010]
Strength:

high pins, low profile, sturdy, great bearings, lightweight, lots of pin placement options

absolutely none!!

stop reading these reviews, it's all good, just buy them and go out and ride!

Seriously - what more could you ask for? What are you looking for in a pedal that these don't have (except maybe the bling factor)?

Similar Products Used: all kind of crap
marki3boy   Weekend Warrior [Jan 24, 2009]
Strength:

Large, grippy, smooth, great value for money

Slightly heavier than V8s

These were recommended to me by Simon at Wheelies, these pedals are amazing value for money, in the UK they retail for £40!

They are very strong, I caught a pedal on a rock on a fast descent, the crank arm bent, the pedal was undamaged, I put it in my backpack and had to ride a 2 mile downhill one-footed.

After a year the bearings are still smooth, and just one pin needs replacing (now where did I put those spare pins?).

Similar Products Used: A number of DX knock offs, V8s.
Ride Biker   Cross Country Rider [Jul 17, 2003]
Strength:

thin profile, not too wide, very grippy, plenty 'o' teeth, low weight, seem to be very durable.

none so far

Best platforms I have found to date for hardcore cross country spinning. Platform pedals usually crumble at my feet after a year, these feel almost brand new, they survived lots of wet weather riding. Superior grip and low width/profile/weight (460grams) are big on the plus side. Use loctite on the pins and you will have no problems. I have already bought a back up pair.
dirt jumping and freeriding? I don't know. I don't do that.

Similar Products Used: TONS of other platform pedals, I am the last platform pedal cross country hold out.
john   [Jun 03, 2003]
Strength:

grip, stable platform

durability?

I am a freerider/trailrider/singlespeeder/city rider who rotates between an 98 FSR, RM6, and a Surly 1x1 -all good bikes. I have used these pedals on my Surly only, for the last six months. Today I am sending them back to Tioga for replacment, as the pedal has pulled off of the spindle (the cartridge bearings desintigrated the other day). I have used lots of pedals from nice to cheap and I do freeride and downhill on the big bike (RM6), never had pedals go like this. These pedals grip as good as any pedal I have ever used, but these pedals blew apart after 6 months on a city only (no freeriding or really jumping of any kind)bike. I do weigh about 230, you be the judge. The guy at Tioga was really nice and said that they have only heard of this occasionally on BMX bikes, so I guess its the high torque environment that does it.

Similar Products Used: lots
ezweave   Downhiller [Apr 09, 2006]
Strength:

Sealed bearings, GRIPPY, pretty light.

Durability might be an issue, but the only pedal problems I usually have are ripped pins (I don't hit alot of stuff). I wish they had a little more concave.

I decided it was time to ride some "all mountain" type trails. The bike is fairly new, but I didn't want to take it home with the stock (sucky) pedals (I have had them before). So I got these swapped at the shop (no skinned knuckles). I only ride clipless on my road bike, so I wasn't about to go that route.

I am writing this up because next to some BMW Shinburgers that I tried on another dude's bike these have the best grip out of any pedal I have used. The grip almost makes up for the little to no concave the pedals have (concave is important for grip). I am going to give them a season of riding and see if I should put them on my DH bike (many ripped pins). I think you can get them much cheaper at Jenson or somewhere else, but I got a discount on the whole deal.

Similar Products Used: SNAFU sealed platforms, Haro sealed platforms (a little like Zuzu's), Specialized non-sealed platforms, Haro non-sealed mag platforms.
Boone   Downhiller [Feb 14, 2003]
Strength:

Reasonably light
Pretty strong
Lasted a year with my riding

Pins fall out with out locktite.
Not the best grip in the wet, but not bad

These were some good pedals. I only slipped them a couple of times and that was when it was kindof wet. They are pretty wide and have a low profile so they wont roll over on you. It is a must to put some locktite on there or else the pins fall out really easily. I just bent the spindle earlier this week when I over-shot the landing of a 13 foot double. But until earlier this week they were some great peddals.