Time Z Pedal

Z

The proven ATAC mechanism provides dependable, easy entry and release in mud and all conditions. TIME's angular float for proper biomechanics.

UrbanDan   All Mountain Rider [Jul 11, 2016]
Strength:

Fantastic Pedals, owned them for i think about 8 years now. 4 bikes later, 3rd set of cleats, and barely any black paint left on it and it performs like a champ.

Weight.... THEY WORK... WHO CARES!

I bought them I believe back in 2007 for my first real mountain bike and they cost me about $150. I was afraid to clip in so I opted for the platform version. They came highly recommended by lbs. Took me a few rides to get used to and can't live without them ever since. I've had several bikes since then and my rides have become more aggressive, yet these are still the same pedals. After so many years of beating on them, running them into trees and rocks, I pulled out the bearings recently, cleaned them, re-greased them and popped them back in. What a quality product. My son is about to get his first set of TIMEs and I will probably get him the MX2s. I hope these will last him for a long time.

Similar Products Used: Eggbeaters, Shimano
Michael Mathis   Cross Country Rider [Jul 29, 2015]
Strength:

Platform area

Outer bearing went out on one pedal after little usage

I had the Time Atac pedal on a Giant XTC 2 bike and still use them after thousands of miles on mainly pavement, with no problems. I bought two pairs of the Z pedal for the larger platform area, as I was having pain in both of my feet (hot spots) and I thought the larger area would help. The pedals work fantastic and am well pleased. The only problem is the outer bearing on one of the Z pedals went out after less than 1000 miles of usage. Since I bought the pedals in the US and now live in Thailand, I am having a problem finding the replacement bearing and dust cap. Other than that, the pedals are worth the money and are very reliable for what I need. Easy to clip in and out of.

Similar Products Used: Atac pedal
artb   [Nov 03, 2013]
Strength:

reliable! no maintenance needed!

a bit heavy

used also in winter conditions for 3 seasons, never maintained, in the end sold without problems to another satisfied use. I wanted something lighter for commuting. Get these and forget you have pedals to take care of.

Alex   Downhiller [Dec 13, 2012]
Strength:

Durability!

Traction

Started riding dh 6 years ago and couldnt get comfortable riding flats so I purchased these. That was 6 years ago and they're still going strong! no play, still spin perfectly. This season one of the springs snapped but somehow they still worked. My only complaint is that now that I'm looking to get another pair I'm shocked that they haven't changed a single thing on them 6 years later. Sure they work great but how bout shaving some weight, adding pins for traction or adding a higher end version. Highly recommended, you will go through 3 crank brothers before u wear out one pair of z's.

Similar Products Used: Time atacs
Ecogeek   Cross Country Rider [Nov 27, 2009]
Strength:

V good clip mech. Like the adjustable release tension and float.

Platform no-where near as much use as I'd hoped. And so, they are heavier than you need - cos if the platform's no use then you could have lighter pedals. You are also constrained to quite a narrow stance, so if you like to mash with your feet a little wider apart...
Seals mean they don't spin as free as cheaper non-sealed pedals. Anything that steals more energy than needed, could be better. Seals were unlubed from factory. If I didn't notice and lube them, they'd have worn away first ride. They were sticking, bunching themselves up as the pedal rotated and as that shortened their length, they were sucking themselves inside the pedal and staying there all twisted up. Grease thinned with a drop of syn oil is what you need.

Well, I nearly bought the Mallets, but I thought the Z Control as it looked like they'd be better. Pos better value at the price I paid. But, I wanted to be able to ride with regular shoes or hiking boots (cos sometimes I do bike-hikes or want to just ride somewhere in the flat-lands without putting on my real shoes) and they just don't do that as well as I want. Your shoes are basically on those slippery bars. V little confidence versus the proper platforms on my bigger bikes.
Now, that aside, these are nice clip-in pedals, but if the platform doesn't do enough then it's just extra weight and I'd be better of in terms of weight and cash with the Atac Aliums.
See weaknesses section for potential issue w seals.

So. They are not bad at all. But not good enough either.

I think someone should sell a pedal with recessed mech and a cleat that's like a 'platform cleat' ie longer top to bottom so it still reaches the clips. But, when you ride the pedal with normal shoes, it's EXACTLY like a normal pedal. I don't care if I've got bigger lumps on the underside of my MTB shoes, they're already 5h1t for walking in and I wouldn't do it anyway cos it wears the cleats out fast! The MTB shoes are for biking. I'd rather have pedals that do both jobs well. That's less work than changing pedals (and getting anti-seize everywhere and cleaning it up). It's also better to have a bike that does everything how you want it to. Everyone has a load of different shoes already! Just need a pedal that has a good clip-in mech AND works as well as a real platform with normal shoes. Can't believe it doesn't exist as I could design it myself in 10mins. But I can't seem to find it on the market.

Overall verdict. Great mechanism, great idea, mediocre implimentation of that idea and as a result, pedals heavier and less useful than they should be and therefore not as good value as I'd hoped. Fair?

vaelin   Weekend Warrior [Nov 03, 2009]
Strength:

Platform pedal with clipless option, bombproof construction

Heavy. Cleat wears pretty quickly.

4 bikes. 1 pair of pedals. 5 sets of cleats. 7 years?

They're almost all silver now, from all the bashing, grinding, and crap that I've put these pedals through. Still spinning, still going strong. I've had novices ride them with their regular shoes and they had no problems, then the next day I could just hop on and ride with my own cleated shoes and not have to swap pedals.

These are the *one* piece of bike components that have lasted through four bikes and seven years.

Similar Products Used: All manner of Shimano SPD including the D-series
PietroB   Cross Country Rider [Aug 25, 2009]
Strength:

Durability

Weight, if you care?

I've had these for over two years now and have abused them regularly on the front range trails of the Rockies in beautiful Colorado. I've bashed them on several occasions on rocks (that's why they call them the Rockies) and what not and have never had a problem. These are great when the ride gets sketchy and one is bombing downhill. Heck, they're even great uphill on those technical sections... As a side note, my buddy has been running the Crank Bros mallets clipless platforms for a couple years also, and they seem to be holding up as well.

Similar Products Used: Shimano clipless
GoremanX   Weekend Warrior [Aug 24, 2009]
Strength:

Look pretty, ATAC mechanism stays clear of mud and dirt

Only one bearing per pedal, weak bearing retention design, ATAC mechanism is stiffer to get into than Shimano SPD, failed multiple times within 2 weeks

Freeride my a$$... these pedals crumbled at the first sight of a gentle XC run. Each pedal only has one bearing on the outside, and a plastic bushing on the inside. The bearing is held onto the shaft by a 10mm nut, and a super soft plastic end cap prevents the pedal body from sliding along the shaft. As soon as this end cap gets warm (and therefore softer), it can come loose and allow the pedal to slide in and out, thereby ruining the bearing and the plastic bushing. This plastic end cap is the worst design I've ever seen. I could almost forgive having a plastic bushing on pedals that retail for $135, but the end cap ruins the whole deal. I've tried everything to keep it in place, to no avail. It just keeps popping out. The bearings and bushings are ruined. I've wasted my money. Going to the trouble of getting it fixed by Time doesn't seem worth it, they'll just come back with new worthless plastic end caps and the whole process will start over again.

Worst pedals I ever bought. Complete waste of money. Extremely disappointed. Soured on Time products forever...

Wish I could give 0 flaming Chilis