Time Atac XS Pedal

Time Atac XS Pedal

The Time ATAC XS pedals provide maximum reliability in all conditions with three adjustable settings for variable resistance and a wide platform.

[Mar 01, 2012]
snotrocket
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Simple design with adjustability. I used them for commuting, mountain, road and track racing. They are excellent.pedals and are perfect for trail riding. I have covered them in salt, mud and everything in between and they still turn as smooth as the day i bought them.

If you keep your wheels on the ground they are great. If you are going to do more DH style riding they aren't the best since they have such a small platform. But i feel safe doing smaller 3-4 foot drops

Great pedal for a great price, if i ever have to retire these pedals they will be replaced by another set of time atacs

Shimano clip less
Look Keo (road)

[Sep 30, 2010]
Uncle_Mike

Strength:

Excellent and dependable engagement, disengagement, mud clearance, feel, tough platform (really). No time spent on set-up, install and ride.

Durability - they wear out and replacement parts are not worth the cost. Pedal rail design will eventually wear a grove in your shoe that will cause sloop regardless if the cleats are new. Other less expensive options available (ex. XTR)

THESE ARE THE BEST PERFORMING PEDALS that I have used and I run them on all of my mtbs. I've tried various other brands with high expectations but always return back to Time. I have noted no perceivable difference from this or the Carbon versions. Your shoe can be completely packed with mud (as per last weekend's CTS 3 day race) and you can still clip in. When new you can really trust them.
THE PROBLEM has been that the mechanism develops play over time, despite new cleats, etc. The XS line does perform better than the Aluminums (tighter feel) but the more complicated design (several parts vs a single spring) wears.
Over time the hole in the rail where the main pin goes through will enlarge and they will develop play.
Get this version not the XE. The XS tension adjustment allows you to remove the slack that will develop and therefore get more lifespan out of the pedal.

Secondly, the rails on Times will eventually wear a grove in sole of the shoe at the front of the cleat (I'm told it's due to a heavy reliance on that contact point vs the base of the shoe). I use Specialized shoes which don't have a replaceable sole, so once this happens - they're done.

In an attempt to rebuild the ATACs I've installed some bushings on the pin but it doesn't last.
With many bikes, the varying degree of pedal wear will leave each bike with a different feel unless the pedals are new. This has resulted in me buying at least 1 set of pedals per year and they ain't cheap. Until I find a better pedal I'll keep new XS's on my top bikes and the rest of the fleet will get Aluminiums to minimize cost and differences in feel/retention.

I did bent a rail on rock a couple of weeks ago but bent it back into shape in a vise and it's perfect.

Oh yeah, the ROC version looks like a solution but a chunk of the resin body smashed off on the second ride. They were replaced on warranty but the spring tension pins popped out (now replaced with a wood screw!) unclipping in high speed technical, within a few days of riding.

So... Performance is excellent, durability for very high usage isn't so great.

Carbon, XE, ROC (crap), Aluminum, XE versions, LX's, Candy's, Look Quartz (crap), etc.

[Aug 29, 2010]
fguelfi

Strength:

functionality
durability

weight

These are amazing pedals, a lot of things can happen to you on the bike ... but this pedals will continue to perform flawlessly. They have endured many rocks, hits and miles without any maintenance and perform perfectly many years after. I have bought a pair for each of my bikes. The modulation to click on is much better than with shimanos and the support when not clicked in is much superior to crank brothers egg beaters.

Eggbeaters and shimano

[May 18, 2010]
RichardR

Strength:

They behave well when they are new.

They wear out quickly. They release when scuffed on rocks.

These pedals work well when they are new, but they need to be replaced yearly. Composite bodies wear out quickly in rocky terrain, which makes hard to get into and many unwanted releases. These are probably a good choice if your trails don't have a lot of rocks and logs, or if you don't mind replacing them on a regular schedule.

Richey, Crank Brothers, Shimano SPD

[Mar 29, 2010]
korbs

Strength:

Durable. Reliable. Sturdy. looks.

none so far!

These pedals are awesome. They are tough and reliable. I have never had any issues clipping in or out of them. Even when it comes to mud. I received my first pair of XS as a gift and soon there after bought myself another set of XS and aliums. Ride them in aggressive mountain rides all the way to my commuter. I too have had knee issues from an unhealthy number of years squatting behind homeplate and have suffered through years of daily pains. These pedals seem to quell such pains, especially after using cheaper SPDs over the years. I was glad to see that other folks have had the same results. These are great pedals.

Both higher and low end shimano SPDs. Speedplay frogs

[Jan 11, 2010]
Bayou25

Strength:

Really easy to clip in, no unwanted release. The lateral and angualr floats are sweet: I've knee problems due to snowboarding and with those pedals I don't have any problems.
Plateform is a plus, it prevent the pedals to dig into your sole after a long time riding, like eggbeaters would do.
It's great for mud clearance when my friends are looking for a stick to clean their shimano, I just step into my pedals like on a dry day.

Awesome pedals, won't ride anything else but the different models (Ti Carbon, Carbon or Z) depending which bike I use

SPD, egg-beaters

[Sep 28, 2009]
joeski13

Strength:

easy, sure clip in and out, easy tension adjuster, wide range.

price

The ballinest. Clear mud, ice, sticks, you can even clear out an ex-girlfriend thru these babies. Along with Oury Grips and Fox Forks, one of the best bike components I've ever owned.

SPD

[Sep 21, 2009]
Bendrider

Strength:

Easy in and out. Good float, nice feel.

Durability. Retaining bars on the XS model bend due to rock strikes. Cleats wear quickly (has been a problem for years).

I love the feel of the Time pedals. I have two other sets of the old ATAC Carbon pedals. I am still using one set of the old pedals on my cross bike. I have probably ridden for 10 years on TIME pedals. I bought the newer ATAC Carbon XS pedals for my mt bike last year and have ridden/raced about one full year on them. The pedals work great. Unfortunately the new retaining bars are not as durable as the old ones. I ride a lot of rocks (volcanic) and they have just beat the bars up. One side of one of the pedals is unusable. There is so much slop due to bent bars that it won't hold the cleat. I would agree with other posters that these are not the pedals to get if you ride rocks. They will probably work well for many years as long as you don't ride the rocks. However this is mountain biking and not golf! My feeling is that they should be more durable, or alternatively that Time should make it clear that the XS pedal line will not hold up in harsher conditions. I have heard that the ATAC ROC pedal is a little tougher. It looks like they have the old round retaining bars so maybe they will be better. Since I like the feel of the Time pedals, I will try the ROC's and see how they last. I'll give the XS model 4 chilis - but not if you're gonna bang them on rocks. You're on your own then.

Time Carbon ATAC (old style), Shimano SPD

[Aug 19, 2009]
jumper780

Strength:

-Bomb proof!
-They keep my foot on the pedal when jumping
-Very self cleaning in nasty conditions

Dang, I don't know, maybe the price. But when these go bad (if they ever do)I am buying another set.
Oh, they look like alien pedals

Great pedals. You won't regret it. I have bashed and bashed them riding 20 miles a week (sometimes less). Still going strong.

Some shimano crap that broke after about 6 months

[Jun 30, 2009]
ssorgs

Strength:

Platform, float (angular AND side-to-side), solid engage/release, durability, ROCs round bars, big target for engagement

Unclips sometimes from rock strikes to underside, rectangular bars bend

GET THE ROCs! Sometimes called ROC ATACs -- have to have the round bars, not rectangular. Both great platform and feel, but the rect bars bend. Went thru 2 pair of ATACs in about a year, having bent the bars (they get sloppy or too tight depending on which side of the pedal you're on). Have had the ROCs for year and a half without issue.

Will note that Performance took great care of me with pedal exchanges.

Times in general are a great design, except for the unintentional releases due to rock strikes. This was much, much more of an issue with egg beaters, and with Times it's a minor annoyance and just enought to drop a chili. Times have a large target for engagement, unlike spds, which you have to hit just right. The angular float is plenty, really as much as my frogs in terms of what I acutally use (and with the regular cleat positions). I don't get unintentional releases when my heels swing in or out, like I would with spds. The lateral float is great for me as I like a wide stance (no, not that 'wide stance') which I find is more stable in tech terrain. You can also adjust spring tension for release but I've never felt the need to mess with it, even as cleats have worn.

Speedplay Frogs, Spuds, Eggbeaters, ATAC XS,