Time Atac XS Titan Carbon Pedal

Atac XS Titan Carbon

Time's ATAC (Auto Tension Adjust Concept) line of pedals follows the design principles of their road line. Simple design, easy engagement, plenty of float. And their naming protocol is equally simple. This is the Ti Carbon because it has a titanium pedal spindle and a carbon pedal body. Interestingly, ATAC beat their road pedals to a lightweight, composite-body pedal. The ATAC pedals were always seen as an alternative to Shimano mainly because you didn't need to fuss with figuring cant on the cleats, because the pedals were much harder to jam with mud, and because the spring tension never needs to be adjusted. Now that carbon is everywhere in cycling, Time has made carbon-body ATAC pedals and has re-designed the pedal body so it's even harder to jam with mud. The one adjustment the user can make is whether the release angle is 13 or 17 degrees. And this is done by running the cleats one way or another. In many respects the ATAC looks remarkably similar to the Crankbrothers' Eggbeater pedal. Time claims, and many agree, that the bigger platform reduces the likelihood of developing hot spots underfoot during long periods of hard effort.

velociped jones   Racer [Jan 31, 2012]
Strength:

they last forever and are almost completely rebuildable. way better than eggbeaters.

uh...

good stuff. not sure they're worth the money but if you can get a good deal...

Similar Products Used: time atac alium
Bayou25   Racer [Jan 11, 2010]
Strength:

Really easy to clip in, no unwanted release. The lateral and angualr floats are sweet: I've knee problems due to snowboarding and with those pedals I don't have any problems.
So light but so nice.
Plateform is a plus, it prevent the pedals to dig into your sole after a long time riding, like eggbeaters would do.
It's great for mud clearance when my friends are looking for a stick to clean their shimano, I just step into my pedals like on a dry day.

Price but it's Titan Carbon, so I was ready

They are on my XC racing bike, they are sweet and light. Never had any problems with them.
Best pedals and they are also great to open a beer or a cider at the end of the ride!

Similar Products Used: SPD, egg-beaters
MLL   Weekend Warrior [May 01, 2009]
Strength:

Excellent product, used these clips/pedals for 3 years now and they still are the best pedals on the market.

Since most people don't have Time pedals, you can't jump on your friend's new ride and expect your time clips to work.

Excellent funtionality... recomended for all demographics

dirtdiva   Racer [Jun 18, 2008]
Strength:

Float, durability, reliability, weight

Angle of release gets some getting used to

I got a pair of these pedals four years ago because of knee pain. The Time pedals have more float and my knee agrees.

I've had these pedals and have done no maintenance. Yes, I need new bearings, but really can't tell when you're riding. I've just been lazy about the maintenance. The bearing kit is only $40. I should replace them...

In normal riding conditions, these pedals rock. I love the positive click when I clip in. No accidental releases, either. The angle of release is different from Shimano, but only took me a few falls until I got it in my head. I tried the egg beaters, but I was missing the positive click.

In muddy and snow conditions, they don't do as well as the eggs, but that's a moot point for me. They did fine in thin mud, but not the thick stuff.

I've banged them on rocks inumerous times, even shaved some bits of the composite body off, but never bent the clips until a couple of weeks ago at the Cannell Plunge. Even though it was bent, it still works well, not quite the same though.

I've definitely got my money's worth on these pedals. Even though there are lighter, sexier pedals out there (eggs and look), I'm sticking with these and buying myself another pair.

Similar Products Used: Shimano, Ritchey, Crank brothers
marco righetti   Weekend Warrior [Mar 12, 2006]
Strength:

light but not as light as my ti eggbeaters
solid clip in and large enough platform when not properly clipped in,good in mud.

at a push...weight but its not a real weakness

just great pedals, i would have no hesitation in recommending them!

Similar Products Used: time atac carbons, time alums, wellgo ti-mags, ti eggbeaters
Dave   Racer [Jun 29, 2007]
Strength:

Solid, Tough, and Light!

None so far

These are light and I imagine will hold up much better than previous models because they are designed with the annoying spring cap that is prone to crack or fall off on earlier Times.

Similar Products Used: Time ATAC
Patrick   Racer [Jul 20, 2006]
Strength:

Light, great retention/feel when new. Great mud/snow performance compared to 747s (I've never ridden 959s)

The bearings wear out pretty quick (12 months) when ridden hard in muddy conditions.

I bought these originally for credit card (super light) road tours in Europe. I don't trust TI spindles for real off road riding (too many horror stories). But, because of their featherweight, I was tempted to start using them for cyclocross racing. After 1 1/2 seasons of (Nor-Cal/Bay Area) racing, and a 10 week tour in Europe this spring, mine are ready for the trash can. During one race, the left end-cap loosend up (causing the pedal body to slide back and forth on the spindle), luckily it was only a 45 minute race and I caught it afterwards. I'm not sure if the endcap came off the body would seperate, but I don't want to find out in the middle of race. I called Time (North America customer service, very helpful) and the guy told me that the end caps are NOT suppose to loosen up. I said that's find and dandy, but could he sell/send me a pin spanner to torque mine back down, because mine DID loosen up. He said he didn't know of any stock tool that fits those pin holes, so get creative. I've been using a real smalll allen and a hard rubber mallet to keep mine tight.
Long story, short: My bearings are shot and the loose pins/springs (mentioned in a previous review) make it very easy to roll my foot out. I'll start the warranty process with Time this week, but I think they only have a one year warrany so I don't expect any miracles. If TIME will allow me to send them back and get "re-conditioned" for a under $50, I'll keep riding them. Great pedal if you can afford to replace them after every year or so of hard riding/racing. I switched to Time from 747s to get the mud/snow performance. But now that Shimano is making the 959, maybe I'll make the jump back. Shimano makes some of the best bearings in the business, IMHO. I have a pair of the mid priced ATAC xs carbons, and I'll ride those hard this summer in Colorado and see how they hold up.

Similar Products Used: original spuds, Onza (super scary, broken Ti spindles), Shimano 747's, original Times, Time Atac XS carbons
LK   Weekend Warrior [Sep 11, 2005]
Strength:

Very light, strong, smooth, very easy to get in and out of, excellent mud/debris clearance.

None so far.

I've only used these pedals a short period of time, but they are very easy to get in and out of and are very light. The spindles are very smooth, yet tight - no rattle, play, etc. Good amount of float, and tension adjustment.

Similar Products Used: Time Z Control pedals.
Janice Tower   Racer [Jun 02, 2004]
Strength:

Very light weight, easy entry and exit, excellent mud clearance, STYLE!!!

None that I can tell so far

I found these little jewels dangling off my Christmas Tree! I must've been a good girl last year 'cuz if it weren't for Santa, I'd still be drooling over them in the catalogs. Love the function as well as the look. The adjustability is a plus also!

Similar Products Used: Time Atac Carbon
Kent Robertson   Cross Country Rider [Sep 14, 2004]
Strength:

Strong, quality construction, consistent action. Firm "attached" or connected feeling when pedaling but still has adequate float.

A little more difficult to clip in and out compared to my Shimano 858s. Kinda pricey.... even at the price I paid. I think the old ATAC carbon design was cleaner looking. Hard to stay on pedal and clipped out when you want to be clipped out

I got these for a great price on eBay. I liked my SPDs but I was looking for an upgrade, wanted something that released a little more consistently in mud, and everyone keeps coming back to how good the ATAC's are, so I thought I'd give them a try. They do in fact release the same in muddy or dry conditions.... it's just they release a little harder than my broken in 858s. I never fall down in normal riding conditions, but that extra effort and extra split second it takes to get my foot out in rocky technical sections has cost me some skin on my knees and elbows. And when I do fall down clipped in, I sometimes am still clipped in after the crash. It's very hard to get your foot out when the bikes tangled up with you on the ground and still clinging to your feet... not to mention hard to get up gracefully. This never happened with my SPDs. Maybe they just need some more break in. I've trimmed all the excess rubber away from the cleat area on my shoe, set the adjustment to the lowest spring tension, and have the cleats mounted for the least float, so not sure what else to try. Will filing anywhere help?

Bottom line? I like a lot of things about this pedal, but if I can't get them (me?) to the point where I can clip out as quickly and intuitively as my SPDs they'll be up for sale. I'll post a more favorable follow-up if the release issue gets resolved.

Similar Products Used: Shimano 858, TIME ATAC carbon, cheaper SPD knock-offs.