Time Atac XS Carbon Pedal

Atac XS Carbon

The Time ATAC XS pedals provide maximum reliability in all conditions with three adjustable settings for variable resistance and a wide platform.

T.McMahon   [Mar 23, 2013]
Strength:

Great Float, you can move your shoe around side to side and stay in. Easy in/out

Broke One pair in 35 rides. Outside bearings fail, pedal slides 2 inches to end of spindle. 2nd pair started to squeak, so I again got warranty pair, sold new in box. Good bye! If these companies don't recall bad product, screw 'em.

If you have these pedals, call Time, and they will send you new bearings. They said that once they send customers new set of bearings, they never hear from them again ( a good Thing ). I just came from Eggbeaters, and broke 3 sets of them, so have no patience for Time breakage. I think the bearing replacement would work for people, don't get frustrated, they had good customer service. I love the way these ride, my favorite. Back to Shimano XT for me.

hoolie   Cross Country Rider [Nov 24, 2012]
Strength:

durable, simple no maintenance bearings, look good

expensive cleats(that last a long time),

I was using Eggbeaters for about 3 years and just switched back to TIME for more durability. I am glad I switched back. I used TIME ATAC and Aliums from about 2003 to 2008 and they lasted with no maintenance that entire time. The Time pedals are worth the $, although I only bought Carbon version for black color to match my bikes. The regular grey ATAC set is a better value.

Similar Products Used: Alium, Ritchey spd, Shimano SPD, Eggbeaters
Simplemind   All Mountain Rider [Jul 07, 2012]
Strength:

Good ramp-in and adjustable release.

Price

For those that say they don't release, it's probably the adjustment. I love the realease and easy clip-in. Much superior to SPD, imho.

weekendwarrior   [Jun 14, 2012]
Strength:

durability, best engagement and release, mud shedding.

none. could be a little lighter, but couldnt everything.

been racing since the 90's... tried every pedal out there (all shimano's 545, 646, 747, 959, all of the egg beaters) This is hands down the best pedal I have owned. Current set has seen 3 bikes in 4 years and still works flawless. My entire team rides this pedal and they all swear by it. The most important thing is when you engage and release it always feels the same and there are no suprises. My biggest complaint with the eggbeaters is if anything hit the pedal it would dis-engage without my foot floating left or right (probably only flaw eggbeaters have is it opens up with any thing touching the bottom of the pedal) not the case with the Time, I have taken direct hits and bashes on rocks and my foot/cleat stays engaged. If you can afford them go with the XS Carbon; pay the extra money over the standard Atac XS. The plastic material doesnt seem as durable on the regular XS (Titanium is not the extra dough IMO). anyway, getting a new Ibis SLR and will probably retire the 4 year old pair and YES I will be getting the same old Time Atac XS Carbon because they have never failed me.

Man from Utopia   Weekend Warrior [May 29, 2012]
Strength:

They seem to shed mud pretty well, better then my shimano 747's.
Decent weight.

Not very adjustable.
Wears out quickly.
Cleats also wear out quickly.
Minor pedal stikes will eject you foot.

I don't understand how these got such good ratings. I bought a pair of these after reading the reviews. I've been riding with them now for 5 months but only regularly for the last 3. What I like is that I haven't had any mud clogging issues. My list of dislikes is much longer. First, my left cleat seams to have worn down to where I have 1-2 mm of play between it and the pedal. Each upstroke of the pedal is loose and makes an annoying click in my foot. Again this is after 30 rides tops. Secondly, the spring in both pedals on both sides have a little play in them but not nearly as bad as my left cleat. Third, the fact that every time I hit the bottom of a pedal on a rock it unclips my shoe. That's a deal breaker. Fourth, these pedals aren't very adjustable. They have 4 tension settings, easy, easier, and easiest or turn the cleat around for bolted in no matter what.

Similar Products Used: long discontinued Shimano 747, after 17 years they still work better then these pedals.
Johnny K.   Cross Country Rider [Nov 19, 2011]
Strength:

Durable, consistent, high-quality.

Price

I have these pedals on both of my bikes, so they're used for technical singletrack, as well as road duty. The first pair is now over five years old, and are still performing flawlessly. They have been through everything: MANY miles, mud, rain, lack of maintenance, rocks... I can't tell the difference between my original set and the newer ones.

They clip in with a very positive engagement, and are easy to find, even in tricky situations. They have taken direct impacts from rocks, hard enough to make me cringe, and still they display no perceivable damage, visibly or functionally. I did notice some play in the spring of one of them a while back, but one turn of the tension set screw tightened it up perfectly, and there it remains.

I considered trying something new, since these are the only clipless pedals I've ever had, but seeing as how they have never been the cause of a single problem over so much time, I will use only these as long as they make them. Expensive, yes, but their longevity certainly pays off. I highly, highly recommend them.

jrahm   Cross Country Rider [Oct 01, 2011]
Strength:

secure retention, easy in and out

a little heavy

Went from Times to Eggbeaters a few years back, put shoe protection plates on after some damage and ended up with way too much float and way too slippery release. Always found them hard to clip into.
First ride back on the Times today, SO HAPPY, very secure feel and easy to find when clipping in. Put the Eggs up on Craigslist.

Similar Products Used: Eggbeaters, WTB, SPD
smokey422   Weekend Warrior [Aug 14, 2011]
Strength:

Mud shedding, clips in very securely, float.

Can't clip out in a sketchy situation. Caused numerous falls.

I really wanted to like these pedals but, just as with my previous ATACs, they trapped my feet way too often. With the old ATACs, it cost me a broken ankle. I tried filing the cleats, which helped a little, but for me these are not suitable for technical trails.

Similar Products Used: Older Time ATACs, Eggbeaters (worthless), Shimano SPDs (the best), Rockwerkes SPD clones (also good).
John   Cross Country Rider [Jun 25, 2011]
Strength:

Easy in and out, less floaty feeling than the lower model ATAC's. ATAC's withstand rock strikes like no other pedal except maybe giant platforms.

They are slightly heavier than other models/brands out there. But I'm talking grams so no big deal breaker.

TIME ATAC's are a great product and I'm glad that they are still a great pedaleven though they have changed over the years. Plain wore out the 4 year old ATAC composite pedals on my old bike. So I decided to try Crank Brothers Candy 1. I had previously tried the classic EggBeaters when they first came out, but the cleats butterfly snapped in half after a couple rides!! EggBeaters release if you even make casual contact with a root or rock. That sucks. And the newer platform Candy pedal is no different, if you touch a rock or root, they release.
So I got these TIME ATAC XS Carbon on sale at PricePoint ($165) and LOVE the way they feel. They feel slightly tighter than the Composites because the spring bar has a square profile, slightly less float. I like it. So after about 3 weeks I bought 2 more spare pairs on Chainlove @ $109 each pair...I'm good for at least 8 years now.

Similar Products Used: Shimano POS , um SPD (long time ago.....), Crank Brothers EggBreakers (tried twice, years apart, but they are crap in tech terrain)
big lou   Weekend Warrior [Jun 21, 2011]
Strength:

great float easy clip in

times customer service sucks,this is the 4th pair of these pedals the the drive side body cracked in the middle.I asked for just the body and they want to see them and see if it falls under warranty blah blah blah.This part probably cost them a few pennies and would have made for a satisfied customer but they went about it wrong.There is definatly something wrong and these pedlas for the price should last longer.well i bought xtrs yest for same price and I know theyll last forever.screw time they have a good design buy shkity product

do not buy these pedals they will fail way to early way to much upkeep.time customer service should have just sent out a new body for the pedal i sent them pics,bottom line my bike was down and im not playing tag with them for months only in the end to have them say i neglected them or something