Time Atac XE Pedal

The Time Atac XE Mountain Pedals spring design. Time Atac XE Mountain Pedals will engage effortlessly. Constructed of composite body with steel axle, easy, dual-sided entry, self-cleaning, angular float of 5 degrees, and lateral float of 5mm.

dan0   Cross Country Rider [Aug 19, 2008]
Strength:

shed mud

springs and bars

junk
Ive used times for years, this new design is garbage
retaining bar is one piece top & bottom, so hit any pedal strike and your foot is ejected, also springs loosened up so I could pull out without twisting, less than a year old and no good.
I went back to shimano

Similar Products Used: all
Big Jeff   Cross Country Rider [Aug 18, 2008]
Strength:

Snug, solid, maintenance free (just about)

nada

I hadn't touched these for 2 solid years. They gave me some squeeks after 1500 miles into a trip this year, some lube made all right again.
Tough cleats, tough pedals, simple, feel very secure. I love the bejeezus outta these puppies! Best pedal ever used by a bunch!

Similar Products Used: frogs, bebops, spd
LaxFactor   Cross Country Rider [Jun 17, 2008]

Small body, weak rentention springs

Initially these pedals started out wonderful they held well with a good amount of float. The new retention bars on these pedals bent within the first couple of months that I road them. This led to very very weak retention and me unintentionally pulling out of my pedals. Also the smaller platform lead to some foot numbness after longer rides. I bought the new ATAC ROC pedals and these seem to have remedied all of the above problems and I cannot say enough good things about them. Avoid the older ATAC models and buy the new ROCs

Similar Products Used: SPD, Time ATAC Roc
Dennis Hildreth   Cross Country Rider [Jul 22, 2007]
Strength:

Size of platform, ease of entry, sturdy construction, great float, solid feeling while your pedaling. Recommended for anyone who wants a quality pedal

cleats, see bottom line
a little pricey (but what isn't)

I love the ease of entry and the solid feel you get while riding. The cleats are tricky. They HAVE to be free from grabbing into the bottom of your shoes to release properly. When you install the cleats as is they dig into your shoes and are to close. If you back the cleats off they move around and are unstable. Fixed the problem by grinding the little points off the cleats and making a pair of shims to fit between the little channels on the bottom. I used an aluminum shelf bracket I had and it worked perfectly (think you Mr. Dremel). They now perform splendidly and I am very happy with them. If any one is interested email me and I will gladly share more info on the shims. 4 flaming chilis only for the cleats. Otherwise 5

Similar Products Used: None, first clipless
JJ   Cross Country Rider [Feb 18, 2008]
Strength:

Big pedal body, strong, reliable, good float, easy of entry and exit, relatively light (337gr)

They could be cheaper

Great pedals, perhaps the best pedals I've used. Reliable, strong and has a good float. Work perfect in dry, mud. I hope they'll last at least 2 o 3 years. Absalon and Hermida run in Time pedals, ¿why you shouldn't? ;)

Similar Products Used: Time Atac, Allium and XS; Shimano 535, 520, 540 and XT
Jonathan   Racer [Dec 27, 2007]
Strength:

Strong, reliable, and excellent debris clearing. This is my second favorite pedal. The ATAC being my current favorite for its larger pedal body. This pedals performs exactly like the ATAC with the exception of being lighter, more easily maintained, and the weakness below.

The pedal body is smaller than the ATAC series, which provides for a slightly less comfortable platform for failed cleat engagement stomping in a mounting/accelerating situation. This is also a little less even for cleat wear support. There seems to be a little more pronation (in the case of my cleat wear) possible with worn equipment than the comparable ATAC pedals.

Great pedals, if you have a choice between this anything else (excepting the ATAC), this should be your preference. If you need road pedals, I would have to go with Keo plastic pedals for race where durability is not a concern.

Similar Products Used: Various from each of: Shimano mtb, Time road/mtb, Speedplay road/mtb