Time Atac XC 8 Carbon Pedal

Atac XC 8 Carbon

Chrome steel axle & carbon body. Stainless steel molded dual-arches. Angular freedom (±5°) and lateral (6 mm).

John   Weekend Warrior [Mar 29, 2014]
Strength:

Clear mud well and secure but easy to clip in/out.

Lack durability. In less than a year pedal fell apart on the trail. Pin holding the tension spring came loose and lost the spring.

I have owned at least 4 sets of Time MTB pedals and this is the first malfunction. Atac XC 8s did not meet the standard I've become accustom to from Time.

Similar Products Used: Shimano, Time
fordohio   Weekend Warrior [Sep 05, 2013]
Strength:

Float
Reasonably lightweight

Falling apart entirely too soon
If you buy them plan on no customer service from Time
Noisy
Expensive

I bought these over the winter. I've always used Shimanos. The Times have more float and I was having knee issues last riding season. They are double the cost of a XT pedal. Weigh a little less than a XT. Between these pedals and getting a professional fitting my knee problems have been non existent this season.

Now for the not so good...First, after about 300 miles one of the caps came off. I guess that is my problem. I ordered a new cap. But decided to go through both the pedals first. Both pedal bearings are rough. 1 pedal bushing seemed worn. I can't get them to be silent. Constantly squeeky and creaking. When reinstalling the pedals after the rebuild. I notice 1 of the pins that is pressed in that holds the springs that hold your shoe clips. It has slid out some. Almost enough to lose all the parts. I pressed it back in. But now after every ride. It needs pushed back into the pedal. You can see the hole is not round anymore. So I wrote a letter to Time USA about my problems about 2 months ago. No response. I asked a LBS that I did not buy the pedals from. They looked into it for me. Their response was Time knows about the problem. And said I should email them. They gave me the same email address. So I emailed them again. It has been 2 weeks and they haven't wrote back.
I had read reviews of people saying they have had Times for 10 years plus. I got about 6 months on mine. For the price I thought I would have these for a long time. Plus if they helped my knees it would be worth it. Now it looks like I'm going back to the SPD's. Hoping my knees will be OK

CanmoreC   [Aug 23, 2013]
Strength:

Easy to get in and out
Light weight
Decent amount of float
Good transfer of power from shoe to cranks
Decent platform to stand on

None so far (to early to tell if they are going to mark up the sole of my shoes (around the cleat area))
As with any clipless, your hooked in and have to get used to emergency exits on the pedals

I have about 5 rides (60km) in on these pedals and so far they have been great. I like the fact that they have more float than shimano's xt or xtr (my knee's are pretty well used and need some play to move around).
I have the pedals on a built up Giant trance X 29er and my riding is primarily technical xc or all mountain. Went with these pedals primarily for the float, weight and platform.
So far they have performed as expected.

KSaint99   [Aug 01, 2013]
Strength:

Visually appealing

Weak design. Broke after three rides. Not especially stiff or light. Very expensive.

Would not buy again