Time Atac XC 2 Pedal

Atac XC 2

Time ATAC XC 2 MTB Pedal is the workhorse that made Time a force to be reckoned with in off road pedals. A continuation of the ROC ATAC Series pedal, the XC 2 is the affordable way to get into an extremely reliable pedal system.

John Woodington   All Mountain Rider [Feb 04, 2014]
Strength:

The only strength I could find was lots of people like them but I can't figure out why.

These are some of the heaviest pedals without an outer cage, they aren't consistent in either release or engagement, they aren't stable, they ruin your shoes just like egg beaters, and they don't clear mud as well as people seem to claim.

I've been using SPD's for over 15 years but a recent ankle injury has led me to try different pedals. I first tried egg beaters because they have a strong group of followers and were lightweight. I loved the way the egg beaters released and it was nice on my bad ankle but engagement was like threading a needle in the dark and they broke twice in four rides.

Next I tried these Time pedals thinking the release would be similar to the egg beaters but with a more stable platform and easier engagement. Well they are easier to get into than egg beaters but that's it. They're still harder to get into than SPD's and they don't have the clean release that egg beaters do. They are actually very hard to get out of. If you slowly twist your ankle out, you can actually get your ankle at a 45° angle before these pedals will release. Yes, 45 degrees and still engaged and that's using the 13 degree cleat side! If you kick out quickly, they release at a lower angle. Talk about inconsistent. They are also inconsistent on engagement. You have roughly half an inch of lateral movement on the pedal which means at one extreme your shoe is rubbing the crank hard and at the other extreme, your shoe isn't in contact with the large platform which makes the outside of your foot roll off the pedal.

I've put less than 100 miles on these pedals and I can already tell that the cleats have worn more than my SPD cleats and new cleats aren't cheap.

Worst pedals I've ever used. I can't figure out why so many people think these are the greatest pedals out there.

Similar Products Used: Ritchey Logic SPD pedals from the 90's, egg beater 1's, Shimano 520's
OVERALL