Time Atac Alium Pedal

Atac Alium

New wider pedal platform for improved foot stability. New body design improves self-cleaning of the engagement mechanism. Low spring tension causes less friction in extreme conditions. New body profile and arch design provides faster step-in.

Cracker69   Cross Country Rider [Dec 30, 2012]
Strength:

Great strong reliable pedal
good mud clearance
easy clip in

Brass cleat is a fundamental weakness - cleats often cost as much as a set of pedals
Cleats wear out each season
Sinz make a steel replacement that survive much better but these chew up the pedals and make for loose engagment

I have used Time pedals for about four years - so I am quite familiar with them. I recently switched back to Shimano as the cleat situation is ridiculous. Brass is a cheap metal easily obtained and forged as it is rather soft. The cleats that Time make are cheap low tolerance objects that cost 30 bucks and last one season at the most. This is a major flaw in the pedals. I attempted to get around this by using the Sinz Time cleat replacement made to higher spec from steel. Unfortunately these cleats steadily erode a grove in the pedal and create slop in the engagement that is very annoying and ruins the pedal body. Shimano pedals use all steel parts and isolate the cleat from any aluminum when engaged - its just a better design.

SpecEpic2012   [Oct 20, 2012]
Strength:

Bombproof and decent platform for unclipped sketchy sections. Good in muddy and sandy conditions too. Good value.

Weight and can be difficult to clip out. No tension adjustment.

These are great pedals if you are looking for a good value and not a weight weenie. These babies will stand up to all kinds of abuse and just keep on ticking. I have owned mine for 10 years and they are still going strong. The only thing I had difficulty with was clipping out in sketchy areas but there is an easy fix for that. All you need to do is grind off a little of the inside rear section of each clip and that does the trick. I ground off a little less than half of mine and now they work great ! There is just too much metal on metal in the rear section of each cleat. Not sure why they made that section so large on the cleat but they definitely over did it. It's very east to grind off with a grinder or even a hand file. It makes all the difference in the world.

A1an   Cross Country Rider [Oct 08, 2012]
Strength:

Can't kill them

Five years ago I killed one of my Candy C platforms on a root just a week before a 6 hour event. The only pedals I could find locally in my price range were these Time Atac Aliums...so it was either get these or walk (or pay $20 for overnight shipping from an online store...no thanks).

Five years and thousands of hours later they still work flawlessly. They have been rained on, submerged, subjected to the most abrasive mud, etc but refuse to die. I will be a Time customer for life.

Rich   Cross Country Rider [Aug 23, 2012]
Strength:

Solid Solid Solid. Good price for great product

Heavy

I have used these for over a year now and they are sweet pedals. I have slammed them hard on rocks and they have never broken, nor have I had to do any maintenance on them. I have never had a problem clipping into them in mud.

Terry   Cross Country Rider [Aug 01, 2012]
Strength:

Typical Time mountain bike cleat and clip in. Rock solid with plenty of float.

Biggest weakness I've seen is the push pins used to mount the cleat retention springs. The pair I have now which will be replaced with Shimano pedals as the Alium is no longer being manufactured to my knowledge (Check Time's website. It's no longer listed), have the push pin mounting in the cast base slipping out occasionally as well as loose cleat retention springs. This is on a pedals that are less than three years old. I've had the original Attack pedals with the polycarbonite casing and they were far superior.

All said and done the Time pedals I've owned have been great pedals with the exception of the Alium's. Nothing is made to last forever. Alas, Time decided to stop manufacturing the original Attack pedals which I use to own and beat to death without any damage other than some scrapes on the casing. It's truly a shame that they dropped the original for this inferior product.

Vj   [Apr 19, 2012]
Strength:

Cheap

Impossible to clip out of

I got them yesterday and boy, am I disappointed!! It is a feat to clip out of these. even regular stops made me nervous and finally I fell and hurt my wrist on what should have been a easy clip out. I am done with these. Absolute waste of money.

Wiewior   All Mountain Rider [Feb 10, 2012]
Strength:

They work perfect in any weather conditions - mud, sand, snow. They are good for my knees. Easy clip and unclip. They are maintenance free!

Weight

Just buy these pedals!

Similar Products Used: rubbish Wellgo wpd823
jasonzh   Cross Country Rider [Jan 07, 2012]
Strength:

Clipping in is solid, pedals are easy to clean, indestructible

Weight

Great pedals. I've used them in all different types of conditions ranging from sand to clayish mud. I haven't had any real issues except in clayish mud, but a simple stomp and clipping in is easy again. The pedals are pretty heavy but they are very reliable and bombproof. Also, I had lost an axle cap and sent an email to Time and I got a replacement from them at no charge and no issues. A good product and a good customer service department. Can't go wrong.

J Biddy   Weekend Warrior [Aug 12, 2011]
Strength:

Simple design, very sturdy. In and out when you want every time. Dirt/mud not an issue.

Weight, lack of adjustability.

I got these as I do a lot of riding in unfavourable conditions, and so the simple wire system appealed, and this pedal has a better build quality review than the similar crank brothers. I also like the flexibitlity it has over the shimano. Very heavy though and so I wouldn't use it for competitions. Would recommend it as a first clipless pedal, but then upgrade to a lighter more adjustable one.

Similar Products Used: Clip-in platforms, Shimano basic clipless
mcgong   Weekend Warrior [May 18, 2011]
Strength:

Solid and Simple Construction, bomb proof.

Adjustability, but it doesn't really need it.

I've used just about every clip system on the market. Started with SPD and the SH56 cleats for easy release. Switched to CB Mallets and Acids which were not bad. Finally I've switched to Time and will be the last time I switch. Unlike the CB pedals, you know when you are clipped and unclipped with a nice Click! sound. I rode in the rain the other day and had to walk my bike through some sections because it was just too muddy to ride. Looked at my shoe and there was about an inch of mud stacked on the bottom sole. After clearing the mud off my bike, I hopped on, and was still able to clip in despite the 1/2 pound of mud still cake on the my shoe. No way could I have done that with CB or SPD pedals. I run the TIme Z Control and Atac Alum and both are great pedals.