Time Alium Pedal

Time Alium

Tom   Racer [Aug 25, 2008]
Strength:

Clips in first time every time, no matter what angle you try clip in from. Very positive feel never leaving you with any doubt of engagement. Easy disengagement

Weigh about a ton

I have tried other pedals but Ive always come back to these. they just cant be faulted apart from their weight. I tried to destroy them for an excuse to buy the TIME carbon pedals but I failed until recently, when doing maintenance I stripped the plastic cap on the end of the spindle. This was probably a cheap fix but it was the excuse I was looking for. I only give it 4 flamin' chillis because of its excessive weight, but to be honest it isnt noticable.

(For anyone wondering how I did it, the recess the allen key/ hex wrench fits into was full of mud but I tried to undo it anyway...)

Similar Products Used: most of the shimano range and crank bros
dsnow23   Cross Country Rider [Aug 11, 2008]
Strength:

Easy entry, low maintenance, no problems in mud, last forever.

Not as light as some of the competitors.

These are the best pedals for cross country riding I've ever used by far. Clipping in and out is couldn't be easier.

Similar Products Used: shimano 646, Koss, platforms, etc.
formulaone33   Cross Country Rider [Jul 23, 2008]
Strength:

Dead reliable, great in mud, easy to clip in and out.

A bit heavy.

My wife got these pedals with her Jamis Dakota and loved them. I needed a new set of pedals for my HT bike so I though I would check them out. They are great. Very positive engagement and release. They are a little heavy but I really don't care on this bike. Price Point has them for $60 so the price was right.

If you want a set of pedals that just plain work and you will never have to worry about them, get these.

Similar Products Used: Onza Clipless, Shimano SPD 535 and 747 pedals,
smokey422   Cross Country Rider [Jul 01, 2008]
Strength:

Durability! Mud clearance, good platform to pedal when not clipped in (like starting out on a hill).

Difficulty in releasing until I modified the cleats.

I had a bad experience with these pedals when I first got them. Got crossrutted in a technical section, couldn't release the right pedal and fractured my tibia. After I got recuperated, I looked at the shaved cleats at Speedgoat and modified my own and also dremeled a little off the soles of my shoes. MUCH better release!

The durability of these pedals has been incredible. I've had them six years and the bearings are still going strong, have done nothing to them. They are good mud pedals, although I try to stay off the trails when they are muddy sometimes there will be muddy creek crossings and bogs.

I am rating at five flamers for value because they have been so durable. Four flamers overall because of the stock cleats but if modified they move up to five.

Similar Products Used: Shimano and Wellgo SPDs, Egg Beater originals (not recommended).
Allan MacIntosh   Cross Country Rider [May 12, 2008]
Strength:

Amazingly reliable, very solid, easy in/out
This is my 2nd year with them, no problems whatsoever and they were used 2 years before I even got them! Extremely worn down now still work great though.

Heavy, I'll live with that though considering how solid and reliable they are.

Reliable. Solid. Those are two words that describe them perfectly.
They're the type of thing were you never have any trouble with, the always work great.

Similar Products Used: Cheap Wellgo clipless
Roger   Weekend Warrior [Jul 12, 2003]
Strength:

Simple design, Easy clip in, and easy OUT if properly set up.

After break in the cleats click against the clip bars while riding. Not a performance issue just minorly annoying, but I can live with it.

After having read some of the reviews I was sceptical about purchasing these pedals. There seems to be a reccuring theme of difficulty in clipping out when needed. However, after a friend picked up a set of these pedals, and after several long rides with him and noting his performance and the performance of the pedals I decided to take a chance. Simply stated I am glad that I did! These are excellent pedals. Simple, sturdy, easy to clip in, easy to clip out, and reliable in ALL conditions. I have experienced none of the difficulty that some seem to have getting out of the them. I does require more twist of the foot to unclip than standard 3 to 5 degree float SPD's, but that should be expected with the 15 degree float of Time pedals. I have also found that a slight lifting of the heal of the foot when unclipping makes quite a bit of difference in the ease of release. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND these pedals to someone new to clipless pedals. I takes additional riding time for an experienced cliples rider to get used to them. There is one thing that needs to be checked before you run out and purchase any Time pedal however. Check your SHOES and make sure that the opening in the tread of the shoe around the cleat is AT LEAST 40mm wide. If it is not you will need to modify the shoe or get shoes with a wider cleat bed. A narrow opening can creat both clip in and release problems. Bottom Line? Do your homework (check your shoes), read the instructions that come with the pedals, and SPEND SOME TIME OFF THE DIRT getting used to them! (remember that's what you had to do when you first started using clipless pedals) These pedals perform very well. I would recommend them for any experienced SPD user that is willing to put in a little extra time and learn to use them.

Similar Products Used: Icon and other spd clones, Shimano spd's.
Christian   Cross Country Rider [Jul 09, 2003]
Strength:

easy in & out (but not too easily clipped out)

none...

awesome

Similar Products Used: richie spd
garret   Cross Country Rider [Apr 07, 2006]
Strength:

easy in.. easy out.. mud shedding.. never get clogged.. just a great pedal

none so far

Don't know what this guy was measuring with below.. but these pedals weigh in at under a lb. scale off? i'm not really a weight weenie.. i'm 6'5" 242lbs so the platform for my big feet is appreciated, and the pedals don't even so much as flex under my weight.. buy em' if you're a weight weenie.. buy the lighter versions.. but this set up ROCKS!

Similar Products Used: shimano
Yseak   Cross Country Rider [Jun 26, 2003]
Strength:

Predictable, simple, and beautiful mechanism; strong; uncloggable, and you never, ever come unclipped accidentally.

Cleats wear a bit fast; and once they area little bit worn, pedal performance is less reliable...

These are my favourite pedals. They are no harder to use than other pedals; they'll take a ride or two to get used to. The float is maybe a bit more than necessary, but I like being able to move my feet around a bit knowing that I won't unclip until a certain point, every time... I have a pair of plastic times as well, which I prefer because the aliums tend to bite into rocks if you misjudge and slam the pedal into them whereas the plastic ones sorta skid across. (this is a small advantage, but it happens!). mine have taken a pretty good beating but they seem more or less indestructible. these pedals are great; give 'em a chance and you'll like them, as long as you get the cleats set up right (read the instructions, it's pretty basic stuff). I use a pair for xc mtb and a pair on my road bike too.
as for concerns from earlier reviews: everyone has clipless accidents (falling over and looking/feeling stupid) once in a while and these will not change that; these are probably unnecessary for commuters (why would float be needed, let alone expensive pedals??), and if you put on new pedals and don't try them until race day, well, you're kind of asking for it dontcha think?

Similar Products Used: shimano spd's (959s?) and cheap wellgos.
Joe   Cross Country Rider [Jun 26, 2003]
Strength:

Simplicity in design. Ease of use (clipping in and out). The riding confidence knowing that your feet are securely linked to the bike.

None so far!

The size and the studiness of the platform combined with the confidence of knowing that you are "locked in" inspires a tremendous amount of riding confidence. I started riding in 1995 and wish that I had discovered these pedals instead of the SPDs that I began using. I have had these pedals for less than a month and can already tell that there is no comparison! My pedal strokes feel more efficient.

I bought them based on the reccomendations of people on this site. I am not sure how anyone could give these pedals negative reviews??? I would guess that these people may have put the left/right specific cleats on the wrong shoes.

I like that when you're clipped in---YOU FEEL CLIPPED IN. Clipping out is easy. Buy these pedals! If you are currently using SPD, you will never go back once you have tried TIME pedals. There is no comparison.

Similar Products Used: Shimano 515. Azonic SPD.