Sun-Ringle CNC Octane Mag Pedal

• Lightweight Magnesum Body
  • 9/16" Chromoly Spindle
  • Sealed Cartridge Bearings

Shazam   Weekend Warrior [Aug 31, 2011]
Strength:

Light, look great, beefy, replaceable studs

They will cut you!

These pedals are awesome. I've had them for 3 years now, and they still look great. I busted out a stud on a rock last season, and just put in a set-screw that fit. Works great! These are very light, you can take them apart to grease the bearings, and just last through everything. Only downfall is that the studs are very sharp. They'll cut the soles of your shoes, so be wary if you are just messing around in some regular shoes and not in your riding gear.

Similar Products Used: Azonic something anothers, CrankBrothers 50/50
stanga5o   Cross Country Rider [Aug 31, 2009]
Strength:

grippy, nice looking, light, wide platforms

none yet...or ever I hope

Just bought the bike which came with CB smarty clipless pedals (which I rode the first 5 times on with the plastic platforms you can clip in which was pretty stupid). I wanted platforms so I reviewed these here and they were much cheaper than the Specialized LoPros I was going to get. They grip really nice, even with my worn out running sneakers! Smooth bearings, nice and wide. I bashed my shin a long time ago on my BMX with similar ones so I'm gonna buy some shingaurds when the funds are there. Hope they last

swmarc   Cross Country Rider [Jun 14, 2009]
Strength:

Good looking
Griptastic
Smooth bearings

packs dirt and mud easily can cause a bit of sliding around but comes out with a good whack.

Awesome petals at and awesome price. I would recommend these to a friend without any hesitation...

Similar Products Used: stock pedals(bleh)
LandoCommando   Downhiller [Jun 01, 2009]
Strength:

Strong, sleek, replaceable pins, grippy

Pins only accessible from 1 side for replacement

The price is right and they are a great value.

Similar Products Used: Other pedals?
Erik Kellison   Downhiller [Mar 01, 2004]
Strength:

Adjustable set screws allow the user to dial the amount of traction (and the amount of shin damage done), good looks, easily servicable and durable!

Heavier than quoted

I would buy these pedals again, but for me and my lightweight bike, the extra dough is worth getting the magnesium (although I am not sure if that would wear as well as the alloy cages that I have). I just weighed one pedal, and it tipped the scales at 330g, which means that the pair weighs 660g, which is not exactly lightweight. Other than the weight though, I can't imagine a better pedal. I never slip off.

Similar Products Used: Primo $25 cheap flat pedals
Greg   Downhiller [Dec 03, 2006]
Strength:

everything- spins real well, only problem is pins

they scratch

they are good as, mabye better than my eastons

Similar Products Used: easton flatties
Zach Reliford   Downhiller [Dec 30, 2005]
Strength:

STRONG. Light for such a strong platform.

Not really any weaknesses...

These pedals rock. I used them to dirtjump my BMX bike when I felt like going for big air and style instead of low and fast. I am on my second set of pins... I rode them everyday at least 10 miles a day for 4 years. I still run them.. I have one side of the pedal on both pedals with all the pins.. but the other sides are missing a couple. The left pedal is missing 1 and the right one is missing.... 4 or 5. My team is sponsored by Sun Ringle.. at least, when I still raced BMX. I am going to ask for a pair of Zuzu pedals. My cousin rides them on his street 20" and they are in perfect condition. I think if I didn't strip the threads in mine, I could just service the bearings and new pins and they'd be good as new.

Similar Products Used: None
Andrew Cohen   [Apr 23, 2003]
Strength:

Grip, Strength, Don't spin when foot not on them

None yet

Bought the 30 dollar non magnesium pedals from pricepoint. Just slapped them on and they are amazing pedals great grip and held great doing drops behind my house. Going on trail ride soon so hopefully they work out great. Great pedals for anything. But look like they will kill if i slip off.

Similar Products Used: Wellgo DH/BMX Flats
Mike Kelso   Racer [Jul 28, 2003]
Strength:

Traction is superb, way better than the stock ones from Specialized. Lighter weight, not a big deal but it is nice. Heck the whole pedal is awesome.

Not a damn one so far. Except I dont recomend hittin the shins with them.

Buy it if you want some killer tration and some lighter weight pedals. Price is a little high but with bikes you get what you pay for.

Similar Products Used: Just the regular ole' Specialized platforms that came with the bike.
Rob Diehl   Cross Country Rider [Jun 24, 2004]
Strength:

Big Stable Platform, Super Grip, Tough and Reliable

Heavy

Last year when I built my new ride, these pedals were the only thing I brought over from my old thrasher. This is my 4th season on them; the bearings are still tight and the pins are still good. They are pretty much indesrtuctable. I ride almost exclusively on technical trails in Western WA. Lots of slick roots, logs to hop, tight turns, mud, etc. I never felt comfortable with the idea of locking my foot to the pedal, so I got these platforms. They grip really good to my riding boots, and I have the freedom to get my foot off if I need to.
And don't believe all the talk of ripping up your leg. I have never used shin guards. After the first time you tear up your shin, you learn how not to do that!