Speedplay Frog Stainless Pedal

The Frog Stainless is built on a super-strong, corrosion-resistant stainless steel spindle. While it's a few grams heavier than the titanium version, it has no weight limit and costs 30% less than the Frog Ti. The Frog Stainless is our best-selling Speedplay mountain pedal.Not just a great off-road pedal system, Speedplay Frog pedals are ideal for road riders who prefer a recessed, walkable cleat. Like their amphibious namesake, Frog pedals are equally at home in dry or muddy terrain. Their unique cleats are virtually immune to clogging with mud or dirt, because debris is pushed out whenever you engage the pedal. This simple mechanism also puts an end to those infuriating falls caused by gunked-up pedals that won't release. You get out when you want to, and never when you don't. Of course, you also get all the advantages of Speedplay's other innovative designs: knee-friendly, non-centering free float; lightning-fast entry and exit; and phenomenal light weight. Whether you ride a mountain bike, road bike, tandem or 'cross bike, the Speedplay Frog can do it all.Comes standard with a set of G3 Frog cleats and mounting hardware. It's strong, durable, easier to mount and compatible with virtually all two-hole style shoes in the marketplace.Please Note: Due to manufacturer restrictions, we are unable to ship Speedplay products outside the United States.

Tarmajin   Cross Country Rider [Sep 16, 2010]
Strength:

light weight, easy in/out, sheds mud well

Takes one ride to get use to the float

I rode Shimano xt for years. I decided to switch it up, for no better reason then to try something new. I should have done it years ago. The Frogs are amazing. Simply put. They are better then the xt's in every way. My knees do not hurt anymore, they do not clog in the mud, easy in/out, but only when I want them to. It takes a ride or two to get used to the float, but after the break in period, AMAZING! I am a new man.

Similar Products Used: Shimano xt and some other spd's
lecycliste73   Cross Country Rider [Aug 16, 2008]
Strength:

This pedal has many great things about it. The cleat is a very low height on the shoe, I wear shimanosh181's When i walk they dont touch the ground...also this pedal is amazingt when it comes to muddy rides, the cleat slides aroud the pedal and it channels mud out, its hard to explain but they work. They can be rebuilt very easily, i would think most shops have a speedplay kit for them..Ive been using these pedals for over 10 years..i could not go with spd when the frogs are so much better.

I can honestly say for me none. I will say go with the stainless over the crom-molly version...those pedals have no protection on the spindalls, i cant see them lasting long at all, if you ride your bike in all conditions2 times a week all year

I cant see how you can go wrong with this pedal. I would not use a product for over 10 years if i did not have faith in it. 10 years ago I rode alot more than i do now and I can tell you i rode through floods, and over flowing rivers during rain stormns, Snow, slush, I live in the greater cleveland area, and our winters are no joke. Rode them in North carolina thunder storms too! As i said, go staineless, it may be a little more than the chrome-molly spindalls. The stainless with care will last a few seasons..i cant see how a painted chrome molly spindall will.

Similar Products Used: there is nothing out there like a frog.
Trialman   Cross Country Rider [Jul 14, 2008]
Strength:

all

Began my clipless career with 747 Shimanoes. Five years ago, I did not like them anymore; especially the slight vertical play bothered me and prevented a really round movement. I bought Time ATACs. I liked the feel of a fixed connection with the pedal. Very defined in an out, no problems with muck anymore. Half a year ago my right knee began to hurt, left knee followed. A month ago I changed to Shimano XTR pedals. I was surprised how good this pedal is now (no vertical play, easy, well defined in and out.). And there was this slight 8 degree lateral float. I and my knees liked it. A friend recommended the Speedplay Frogs. Used them this Sunday the first time. I am sure this is the best thing you can do for your knees. You are really afloat on the pedal. Sounds terrible, I know, but feels heavenly. After 10 min all was dialed in: getting in, getting out of this pedal is easy, reproducible and safe. Now I have a much rounder movement, and even pulling up one the pedal is much easier and a matter of course. I find myself cycling more efficiently. And it is more fun. It is really interesting to perceive how much movement your foot needs and how complex the cycling movement is, in fact.
I would recommend this pedal as the best option be far 1. to people with knee problems (a real must try, even much better than a platform pedal. Presumably this is the most physiologic pedal available). 2. people with clean style of cycling for XC. 3. must be a roady’s dream.
I don’t think that guys with wild cycling styles, trial or downhill guys will be happy with this pedal.

Similar Products Used: Shimis: 747, 636, Duraace. new XTR, Time ATAC
CHACHEE   Cross Country Rider [Jul 05, 2008]
Strength:

lightweight and simple looking.

don't really feel clipped in.

first set of clipless. still trying to adapt to them. hope it comes natural.

Similar Products Used: n/a
Jay-Rod   Downhiller [Jan 23, 2007]
Strength:

They are great pedals, perfect for downhilling and freeriding, don't understand what these guys below are talkin about. The only problems I have had is when the cleats begin to wear. Thats it thats all.

just when the cleats wear, then it only clicks me out when i don't want to be.

Great pedals when they are adjusted, bad when you need to replace the cleats.

Similar Products Used: Shimano
Steve   Cross Country Rider [Mar 30, 2007]
Strength:

Easy to use
Customer support
Durability

I've used these pedals for 13 years! XC races, epic rides, two different bikes, mud, rain, snow. These pedals have seen it all.

In that time I've only had one problem. I slammed one of the pedals on a rock one too many times and cracked one half of the pedal body. After talking to the great folks at Speedplay, I ordered a Speedplay "service kit" through my LBS, and had the parts in a couple days.

I must be hard on pedals and shoes, because during this same period I broke the soles of two pairs of shoes.

These pedals will last you a long time! My only advice is to get a lube gun to lube your pedals every few months.

Similar Products Used: None
Edward   Cross Country Rider [Sep 27, 2006]
Strength:

Weight

Pricey! Cleats are bulky and don't fit normal MTB shoes. Resin composite body is easily broken. Hard to click-in and hard to click-out, with occasional unwanted click-outs. Dirt and mud settles too easily in the peddle.

My left peddle broke after 4 rides. The composite body cracked from the peddle. Fortunately Performance Bikes returned the peddle without incidence. I don't recommend these peddles for anyone riding heavier terrain, i.e. wooded areas.

Similar Products Used: Shimano-PD M540, Time Atac allium.
Jacob   Cross Country Rider [Mar 17, 2007]
Strength:

Easy to use, easy on the knees, easy to maintain

Noticeable play between pedal and cleat after several months of use. Sometimes (not very often) pedal would come unclipped. When I started doing MUCH more aggressive downhills I broke the resin housing on one of the pedals

Good for XC, I would not recommend them for DHing, or Freeriding.

Get an extra set of cleats to swap out when there is too much play.

Similar Products Used: Coda crap, ATACS, others
Chas   Cross Country Rider [Dec 24, 2005]
Strength:

Light weight

Unwanted unclips. Not as easy to clip in as the manufacturer states. Cleat cloggs up with debris. The cleat doesn't fit most real mountain shoes.

They suck. Well maybe ok for rail trail users. I wouldn't reccomend them to my opponents in a race, well maybe I would. Unclipping when you're going down wasn't as easy but unclipping when you didn't want to was easy. The cleat was always full of mud, snow, or sand, whatever I was riding in at the time and made clipping in virtually impossible and I had the 3rd and newest version of cleat. I had to modify, with the help of my dremel tool, two pairs of shoes to get the cleats to fit. I hated these things so much that I gave up on them in less than a month. By the way, if you want these they will be on ebay.

Similar Products Used: Shimano SPD 515's, Time Atac's, Coda SPD's, Eggbeater SS.
Colleen   [Aug 04, 2005]
Strength:

Easy in, Easy out.

I bought these for my road bike. I love them so much I must have a pair for the MTB too. In fact, my MTB has the toe cages that you slip into. I tried riding my MTB about a week ago after a long hiatus and I found the old toe cages to suck. And to think I was so resistant to clipless. All those wasted years.......