Speedplay Drillium Pedal

Speedplay Drillium Pedal

The ultimate platform pedal for freeride and downhill offering up a beefy 12mm cro-moly spindle with three precision bearings for maximum strength and durability.

[Feb 09, 2016]
Tom F
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

great grip. smooth. sturdy

Large, like a waffle iron on your crank.

I bought a barely used Trek Fuel EX 29er 2014, about a year and half ago. I immediately put my SPD's on. I had been riding clipped in for about 4 years and never felt comfortable. But everyone was doing it. I would unclip on dicey sections etc. The person I bought the bike from included these pedals. They were like new, as the bike was.

One weekend, I was going to be doing a long ride with a lot of exposure. I thought I would give these a try. I had some 8 year old Sketchers skateboard shoes that I wore that day too. Wow, it really brought the fun back into mountain biking for me. That day I would have went down a couple times if I was clipped in, instead I just jumped off the bike and landed on my feet. Even going up technical hills I push harder and farther knowing I won't need to unclip if I stop. I have since bought 510 shoes and they really grip. Now I ride wheelies, go off jumps, pitch it out etc, just like a kid again.

I am noticing more and more people riding with platforms. The only drawback is the size. I have smacked them a few times against rocks etc, they still work great but have some big scratches.

Shimano SPD's

[Jul 22, 2014]
Los Marauder

Strength:

Big, grippy, easy to maintain. Actualy have a wieght limmit of 800 lbs. Yes. 800lbs.

As big as the platform is I could use even bigger.

As a clysedale weighing 260lbs. and size 14 gunboats, I have to have the strength and size in my peddles. Most stuff folds, warps, bends, or crumbles under my mass. These just take abuse. No problem, no worries. They will last a life time I have no doubt. If your fat pick up some "new old stock" as they dont make these anymore.

[Mar 15, 2012]
Rat S Rectum

Strength:

Very well designed and built pedal, very easy to maintain. Used with 5.10 Sam Hill or 5.10 Karver shoes this is the best back country pedal made

I enjoy back country unassisted multi day solo riding. It is usually slow going in the 30 tooth ring for hours and hours and the grip these Drilliums give the 5.10 shoes are very close to clipless in that I can pull up/back during the rising part of the crank rotation and yet when I come to those sudden stops caused by unseen holes and rocks I can just put my foot down (left or right foot).

As for grip, these are the best platforms I have used with my 5.10 shoes. The grip is strong even after water crossings, snow crossings, and trundling through mud.

Maintenance is easy and if you buy the Speedplay grease gun it is even easier.

The pedals are wide and you will strike rocks now and again but they are very well built and I have yet to bend or crack one.

Various other clipless and platform pedals

[Jan 08, 2012]
JORDAN

Strength:

Grip, durability, ease of service. I have gone through a long list of cheaper flats and none have made it much over 6 months . I have had the Speedplays for over 3 years and never had a moments problem with 'em. I am pretty tough on gear and ride alot of miles. If you like to ride flats, I think these are the best ones money can buy. Incredible grip with almost any hiking or running shoe and amazing with 510's. Very satisfying watching your clipped in buddies fall over trying to unclip while you effortlessly step off. In over 3 years, these have yet to do any real damage to the shins. Very good in the wet as well.

They are large and will occasionally clip a rock or two. A very small price to pay for the grip and stability of this pedal. Kind of pricey but worth it.

If you ride flats, these are the holy grail. If you ride clipless, sell them and buy these. You wont fall over in front of anyone in the parking lot if you ride these. I have benn trail riding for the last 25 years or so and I love these pedals.

Wellgos, and alot of cheap, crappy flats.

[Apr 27, 2010]
rogerpar

Strength:

Great appearance, better handling!

None so far

If you are looking for replacement pedals for your mountain bike, these are it. You will not be disappointed. These are by far the best set of pedals I have purchased, the grip is unbelievable, they look and function phenomenally. Speedplay hit a homerun with these. If you have doubts about this product, rest assured that these badboys are in a class of their own!

[Mar 28, 2010]
nafod

Strength:

Very robust, holds on to the shoes, takes hits off rocks and keeps going, looks cool

Bit of a rattle on left pedal, not sure how to tighten. Nothing else.

I like 'em. Easy to plop my foot onto them and have it stick. I ride with 5.10 Impacts, which only makes them better.

I ride with clips on my cross bike, and when transitioning back to the platformed Stumpy I find that I have to be careful not to push forward with my foot when climbing, as the pedal will rotate and the foot will come off. Just push down. Never a problem on downhills.

I love being able to dab and keep going, not worrying about doing a dead soldier and eating it while trying to unclip. I accept the performance hit, which has proven to be minimal. Your heart can only pump so hard, and that always proves to be the limiting factor.

[May 09, 2009]
2wheeljunkie
Downhiller

Strength:

Amazing Grip, Durability, Longevity...

Product what?

I wanted to RE-review this product because I've been using these for over three years now. I previously granted only 4 peppers and the truth is, now that I've become a platform pedal guy, I have yet to see or feel anything better. These pedals are worth every penny. They do look gorgeous but they really shine when you USE EM! Mine are totally banged up, scratched, marred, nicked, etc. They hit rocks, roots, flesh, and occasionally concrete stairs and even granite, but the amazing thing is that the pins are all still damn near perfect, they have never cut me badly, they work like a sonofabiatch and I've transferred them from bike to bike when I get something new.

They're on a hard tail right now for Chrissake and I still prefer them to clipless. Another reviewer said it well when he said that they weren't as difficult as XC riders want them to be. I'm not racing. I want to have fun and these make bailing easy, gnarly steep sh*t feel safer, with barely any sacrifice on climbs. Overall I love em. If they were stolen I'd buy another pair immediately - even at full retail.

I'm gonna get a pair of five.ten shoes to really get these things working. I've been riding in my torn up Converse Chuck Taylors lately and even they stick to these great pedals.

Cheers and happy trails.

all kinds of different platforms and a few clipless pedals

[Sep 23, 2005]
Jim

Strength:

Velcro like grip but easy to reposition your foot without having to lift it completely off the pedal. Huge plaform for those with big feet like me. Makes it very comfortable and less fatigue for longer rides. Concave of pedal is great!

None that I can speak of at this point. They are pricey but you get what you pay for.

I have been riding clipless pedals and never really felt comfortable with them. I swithched to flats contrary to the advice of other riders. I was told you will not be able to climb, your feet will always come off the pedals every time you hit a bump and you will destroy your shins. I have riden these pedals on every trail, climb and drop I did with clipless and have yet to slip one. In fact I feel I can ride better with these flats. Thet provide a great deal of confidence. They are unbelievable from a grip standpoint and comfort. If you are thinking of switching you won't go wrong with these bad boys. The studs are well thought out as for placement and length and the concave of the pedal makes it very comfy. Although the pedal is thin and light it seems to be strong as I have bashed them hard more then a few times and they have held up well.

I do use 661 shoes which are also great and help with the grip. I may be new to flats and not the best judge from an experience standpoint or comparison to other pedals but I do know a good product when I see (ride) one. You won't be disappointed.

These are the only flats I have used.

[May 19, 2006]
ben
Downhiller

Strength:

Excellent shoe grip. NIce big platform for bigger feet (I'm a 13) Freakin' sick to look at.

Their size, one of their advantages, is also sometimes a drawback. They are wide and do require some concious effort to avoid bashing them into rocks and roots somtimes - but that is probably normal with platforms.

After two collarbone surguries due to separate fracture incidents, I decided to get out of clipless pedals. Everything i had heard about clipless vs platforms seems like bs to me now. THere is only the tiniest disadvantage with the platforms - mostly on short SUPER steep sprint climbs like out of a creekbed or something.

With these pedals i am totally glued to the bike just like my SPD 858's felt. Only difference is I am always able to bail at a millisecond's notice and don't have to be balancing on little clipless pedals on the arch of my foot to have this avantage.

I have heard a lot of horror stories about shredded shins, but so far have yet to slip off these pedals at all. if you have bigger feet, BUY EM! You'll love em.

4 chilis each cause they cost a grip and are a bit huge on tighter trails... a little angle inward on the bottom leading edges in order to clear rocks and stuff would've netted a nickel for sure.

Peace...

Only clipless

[Sep 12, 2005]
Colin

Strength:

Huge platform! Tons of GRIP...very tall posts.

Price...you can probably find 'em for cheaper, but I'm an instant gratification kind of guy and Helen's is like 5 blocks away.

I have thouroughly enjoyed riding these pedals, they have tons of grip without being super difficult to readjust your foot (like with Krupi's). I think they accomplish this by having only two spikes in the very front of the pedal, three accross the the middle in front of the axle, to accross the middle behind the axle, and three across the back. So if you just lift your heal you can adjust your foot relatively easily...then you have loads of grip again when you need it. Awesome pedal!

Krupi, Redline, Shimano DX, Bear Claws (back in the day)