Shimano PD-M646 Pedal

Shimano PD-M646 Pedal

• Dual-sided engagement, dual-sided tension adjustment
  • Uses SM-SH51 (stock) or SM-SH55 multi-release cleat
  • Lower profile than PD-M636, for better obstacle clearance

• USER REVIEWS

[Jun 05, 2015]
    KeithD
    All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Durable, easy to use, can use with regular shoes

Nothing yet

I had these put on my Giant Ds3 Warp I bought in 2003. I have replaced almost every component on my bike and I am still riding these pedals. I had the M636 before on a GT LTS2 and loved them. Those are still on the GT that my son still rides. I have ridden shimano' other clip less pedals and these are my favorite by far. I was worried because I recently changed my cranks and bottom bracket and had a hard time getting these off my old crankset. I am not confident in shimano' newer versions of these pedals. They do not seem to last like these have. I will ride these pedals until they fall off my bike.

I've used M636s, regular dual,sided shimano clip less.

[Jan 29, 2011]
    Alrazvee

Strength:

Bombproof, Can be used even with flats, Doesnt require any maintenance, super durable, Adjustable resistance for clipping out, Very fast to clip in because the platform guides your foot into the SPD mechanism.

Not that light but not really a weakness cos its very strong.

One of the best pedals I've had! Its sad that Shimano discontinued this model.

Wellgos, Crankbro Candy, Shimano Deroe XT SPDs and other Shimano ones.

[Jul 07, 2003]
    top jimmy

Strength:

Durable exterior cage. Nice platform to clip out of.
    Accept multi-angle release cleats. Relatively easy to get in and out of.

Some of the INTERNAL PARTS ARE MADE OF PLASTIC...which break (of course). You need a "special" shimano wrench to open the pedal and do the internal maintenance work.
    >>Order a small shimano part...wait over a week and pay through-the-nose for a small piece of plastic.

They work great until they need maintenance. Which happened to me about 3 months in to owning them. Once you get the special wrench (for maintenance), easy to open them up and fix. BUT, you need the parts! LBS orders then and you wait over a week to get them...plus you pay full LBS prices for small plastic pieces.

Now, the real question is...
    WHY THE PHUCK DO THESE PEDALS HAVE *easy to break* PLASTIC INTERNAL PARTS????
    Trying to save a few grams???
    ...These peadls are supposed to be used for DOWNHILL...

It is very disapointing to hold a vey solid feeling pedal in your hand and know that the internal parts are not so durable.

Cheapy MTB clippless (worked well). Other shimaon clipless.

[Jul 02, 2002]
    Jim

Strength:

Good if you are putting them on your only bike and you think you'll truely ride using regular shoes.

Had problems with some shoe styles, beware of shoes where cleat is tightly recessed. I actually had to return these pedals and get the 515's because the RockHopper shoe would have req'd cutting away some of the sole.

It is my feeling the pedal is marketed at folks that need/want the ability to ride with or without bike shoes. If you were like me, getting into a clipless setup for the first time because you wanted to get more serious about biking, then I'd recommend getting a true clipless pedal. This was the quick realization I came to after struggling to get my RockHopper shoe into the 646's, which by the way, won't work without some creative modification to the shoe sole. It was then that it came to me that I was either going clipless or not. This is definetly something to consider when buying this sort of setup.

Since this was my first clipless setup, I asked the guy at the LBS to set the tension on the clips to their easiest setting. He also made sure I was getting out of them properly. I suggest, just like the manual says, practice standing still to get a feel for getting out of them. With the tension at its loosest and twisting *sideways* with heel *down*, you shouldn't have a problem getting out of these. Others have commented about how difficult it is getting out of these pedals, and I would have to agree, the first few times are difficult, especially with the original mfg tension. If you practice standing still however, I think you'll find the clipless setup much more enjoyable and a great value.

none.

[Feb 10, 2002]
    warren

Strength:

shimano makes it, its very simple, awesome idea, the world's best use these

yeah, right

the idiot that says they fall apart probably had a defect, how can someone rate a defective product, i mean look around, everyone else had good luck, hand those pedals back and get some new ones. if you like drops and need pedal efficiency get these pedals, no questions asked.

other shimano pedals

[Dec 06, 2001]
    Rick Hutchison

Strength:

lighter and smaller than the old 636 pedals also use cartridge bearing rather than ball type used. This means smoother and less service problems.

None comparatively speaking.

Great pedal for the type of riding I do where large quick releasing platform pedal is desired.

Shimano M636

[Dec 06, 2001]
    Lior

Strength:

platform AND clip
    Easy clipping in and out
    strong

abit heavier than others, but who cares.

Amazing pedal. Very fast to get in and out because the platform guides your foot into the SPD mechanism.
    That big platform is a must for anyone doing technical stuff. Fast launches in tough areas and no problem pedaling if you don't have time to clip in.
    Also, surprisingly, it really worked for me in heavy mud conditions: snapped in and out with just a little effort (unlike the 747 in mud- maybe u manage to snap in, but u never get out).
    Bottom line- the best buy I had for my bike.

[Feb 02, 2002]
    Jimmy B.

Strength:

something to put your feet on if you can't get clipped in.getting out of them is a easy chore!

Had one start to come apart,took it back to REI and they gave me a new set ,no problem with set#2

will be getting another pair for my new hardtail so I dont have to swap them back and forth.Well worth the $ spent

an old pair of Scott clip ins there on the road bike now.

[Jan 28, 2002]
    Chris

Strength:

Durability, strength.

None I can name.

Bought these pedals after a day of frustrated riding in the mud. Couldn't clip into the small no-platform designs while bogged down with blech(clay). Love these things. Getting in and out of the clips is always easy, and having solid platforms for those sketchy downhill runs is a must. Won't ever own anything but these as long as Shimano is making them.

Shimano clipless (without platforms), wtb clipless.

[Nov 18, 2003]
    C-dog
    Downhiller

Strength:

Good clipless pedal, positive engagement, strong axel and bearings no maintence required

I bought it for the platform but it's frickin useless.

These pedals are tough as nails and take a beating, they work very well clipped in. but the platform is useless except for maybe protecting the bodey of the pedal, if you are trying to ride these uncliped watch out the are slippery and if you're wearing cleats they will just slip right back into the clips. There has got to be a better way of doing this concept comeon shimano

most of them