Shimano PD-M520 Pedal

Shimano M520 Clipless Pedal has an all Alloy Body with cartridge bearings. Chrom-Moly spindle, SPD cleat mechanism. Weight 380gms.

lew242   All Mountain Rider [Apr 09, 2016]
Strength:

Solid and work quite well, even on the road.

Heavy, bearings can die sooner than expected, even after 6,000 kms. OEM grease stinks.

These pedals are quite heavy, but in truth at 380 grams the pair, they are only really 100 grams heavier than nearly every other SPD for more money, so 100 grams for a commuting and being double sided for me riders it's not really an issue.

They will do 6,000 kms or more if you are lucky, but they can easily start grinding on you, as some of the internals are junk. Sure you can warranty them if they break. but then do you have another set or are you going to stop riding for XX weeks?

For me, I prefer flats with pins and 5tens for mountain bikes and I prefer something lighter and more connected for road. I think for me they are suitable for a spare set of pedals to leave at the back of the closet.

SnakeHandling SingleSpeeder   All Mountain Rider [Nov 14, 2013]
Strength:

Cheap
Easy to learn on
Light
Spring adjustment
Mud not toouch of an issue

Not As much base for pedaling

I have two pairs of these- different versions I've gotten used cheap on Craigslist. When I first started clipping in, these were my learning curve. It is so easy for the clear to find the pedal. I would highly recommend for any skill level. Easy maintenance and design. Cheap price but great quality.

Jayem   All Mountain Rider [Jun 23, 2013]
Strength:

Pretty much everything. Mud clearance much improved with this generation of pedal. They go forever. They are cheap. They are lighter than the previous generation.

One of the few products with none.

I've owned just about every shimano pedal out there. My 540s work exactly the same, and the axle is slightly better or something, but I've never noticed any performance difference. You have to step up to XTR to see anything more than a dozen grams or so knocked off, and even then they are outrageously priced for the weight you save, like maybe 50g.

Similar Products Used: 520, 515, 530, 545, 434, 647, Legeaters, Mallets, Onza, others I can't remember.
CuzinMike   Cross Country Rider [May 23, 2013]
Strength:

Smooth, easy clip-in and release, adjustable retention, cheap and bombproof.

Heavy, don't play nice with mud, limited float.

I started with an older version of this pedal as my first foray into clipless over a decade ago and I've never had reason to use anything else. The current design is little better in the mud, but just about every other clipless design is still superior in wet conditions. I don't ride when trails are muddy, so this isn't an issue for me.

If you're looking to try clipless for the first time I can think of no better pedal. Buy these and a pair of multi-release cleats, set the retention loose and you'll be as comfortable as you were on flats in no time; they're that easy to get out of.

I'm sure these are too heavy and sub-par for serious racers, but if you just want a no-nonsense pedal that will last a long time I don't see how you could go wrong.

Sea Bass   [Feb 27, 2013]
Strength:

Solid pedal, all around.

Possibly a little heavier than the XT, but I wouldn't hesitate to put a pair on a road bike.

I've ridden these things HARD over the past 9 months—they take a boulder beating just fine. For $29.99 at nashbar.com, there is no better pedal for the price. I'd buy 2 more pairs of these M520L's before I even thought about moving up to an $80 pedal.

Dick Avabducj   [Feb 23, 2013]
Strength:

It's pretty much bulletproof. Not much to go wrong here. I saw a review that said the cage had broke. I would have taken that back to the shop and got a replacement. I've been using these pedals now for four years. They are heavy. Part of the weight however is they click in on both sides. They are really easy to use. It's pretty much step and click. Once you get the springs adjusted for all side, it's foolproof.

I use them on my road bike and my commuter bike. It's a sturdy hard wearing pedal at a very economical price.

It is a little heave. But maybe you could lose a few pounds.

Great value.

mechfishy   Cross Country Rider [Aug 03, 2012]
Strength:

Easy to clip in and out. Spin smooth

Compared to XTR are junk. Poor seal design. Even if the bearing lash is properly adjusted they still have play. Pedal-cleat interface make a bothersome click every rotation if you put more than a minimal effort into pedalling. Inner and outer bearing separation too close together will cause rapid bearing wear and instability.

New pedals have play, even though the bearing lash is properly adjusted, due to the cartridge design. Seal design and placement is passive placement design, so dirt can easilty enter. The above mentioned clicking is magnified through the crankset and frame making it extremely annoying. Gave up on these after about 100 miles. I've had a complete 950 XTR gruppo, excluding pedals, since 1994 and am very impressed by all of the components. But the newest XTR is way overpriced. I assumed that trickle down tech would follow down to the PD-M520, which is partially true, yet poorly constructed. I assumed these would be better pedals than Forte Carve, even though the Carve pedal has no lash adjustment, and uses a brass bushing on one end, cartridge bearing on the other end, but assumed wrong.

Similar Products Used: Forte Carve.
Nor-Cal-Mike   All Mountain Rider [Jun 15, 2012]
Strength:

Great pedal for the price. Looks decent enough. Works very well and the adjustable tension is great for first time clipless riders.

Wish the had a better bearing.

Nice pedal for the price. Great for first time clipless riders or those on a budget.

nickcarll   Cross Country Rider [May 10, 2012]
Strength:

The shimano 520 pedal is a Low cost, bomb proof, easy to get in and out of pedal that will not fail you after being smashed off a rock like some over pedals on the market...

maybe the weight but that's an issue unless your a pretentious gram counting weenie

as I sit here writing this going through the pedals I have used over the past few years, I realize I always come back to the Shimano 520’s. I currently have two sets of them one on my road bike, one on my stumpy, and a set of XT’s on my single speed. I have tried crank brothers as well as times, neither one of which screamed reliability to me like this do. The set of 520’s on my road bike are at least 5 years old, they’ve been through 4 different bikes, and have probably hit every rock in southern Maine they still work flawlessly. These pedals are kind of heavy however that makes them bomb proof and awesome, and realistically they are not a lot heavier than the XTR version, of course if you are a weight weenie gram counter you would not be looking here and reading about these pedals. But for everyone else, meaning you the one looking for a solid pedal without breaking the bank then these are it.

Similar Products Used: crank bros candy's time atacs
Hempress   Weekend Warrior [Mar 01, 2012]
Strength:

inexpensive, good quality, biggish, works well

could be heavy, not the easiest to get on (but then again I don't have the proper tools)

I'm a first time clipless user and I;m still getting used to these things but they seem great. I can't speak for durability as I've only used them a few times but I love them. I know ya'll have heard it before but these are great beginner pedals, cheap, high quality, works well. The tension adjust is great for a first timer like me and works well. The entry is easy once you get a hold of it (operative words there: once you get a hold of it) and exiting is a no brainer. Negatives sure they're probably heavy and not the easiest to install but when you can such great pedals for a great price these are nitpicks.