Performance Forte Carve Pedal

• Float: 5 degrees
  • Material: Aluminum body/Chromoly spindle
  • Adjustments: Tension

rufio   Weekend Warrior [Nov 26, 2011]
Strength:

Light and the price was right. They seem pretty strong. According to a sales person from Performance, these have a lifetime warranty on defects. They are SPD compatible.

Nil.

I had these installed on a hardtail and a full suspension about three years ago. I used them for a year and took them off because I got a pair of Shimano 959s of the new old stock variety. I am back on them after now that the Shimanos have called it quits. They feel solid.

Similar Products Used: Shimano SPD pedals.
Stefan   Cross Country Rider [Sep 11, 2010]
Strength:

light, cheap

little details

The two small shafts fore and aft of the main shaft
came unscrewed at about 1500 km. I couldn't figure out
why my foot kept popping out. On the left foot, both shafts
had come unscrewed. There doesn't seem to be much to prevent
it, no lockwasher, etc. I like the simple clean design,
easy to put a wrench on, but I think attention to detail is
lacking.

Similar Products Used: various shimano, mks pedals
BurnNotice   Weekend Warrior [Jun 10, 2010]
Strength:

Well made and light; cheaper than Shimano's; ease of use; easy to engage and disengage.

None really that I have seen.

These pedals are half of Shimano's prices and work just as good. Easy to engage and disengage. Very tough on hard terrain. I have to admit, I have replaced them with Crank Brothers Candy Acid 2's because I wanted to color co-ordinate my bike. They worked fine and I am keeping them if the CB's fail to perform. Really no reason to replace them other than like I said...........wanted to add color to the bike.....it's a sickness!

Similar Products Used: None.
dc75nm   Racer [Mar 05, 2010]

I bought these based on the good reviews I've seen. I love these pedals. Their performance is equal to all the many different model shimano SPDs I've used in the past. I can't tell the difference. However, the price for these guys is incredible. Go get yourself a pair and be impressed.

This component is not a "beginners pedal". Whatever that means. Just because it doesn't cost an arm an a leg doesn't mean it's no good and can't be used by serious cyclists and for that matter, beginners alike.

Brady07   Cross Country Rider [Feb 23, 2010]
Strength:

Price, Weight, Durability, Price (value makes it worthy of a second mention)

Do not shed mud as well as I would like; Cleats that came with mine did not fit, but my old shimano cleats did.

Big bang for the buck. I bought these to replace my XT pedals that someone helped themselves to. Lacking the coin to invest in a pricier line, I bought these to get me through a weekend. They felt a little flimsy and I thought they would give out pretty quick. Wrong assumption on my part.

I have ground these against rocks and roots more than anyone should. And they keep hanging in there. My only complaint are that they do not shed mud quite as quick as I would like. Also, the cleats that came with the pedals would not lock in at all, but my old shimano cleats worked just fine. Go figure.

I have taken a few diggers while using these and they let me out just at the right time. The tension setup is easy to adjust, so they keep me in when I need them to as well. They also have enough lateral play to avoid knee alignment problems, which I am prone to.

They are great for general cross country and commuting.

Based on the weight, price and durability thus far, I have to give these a 5 on value. But the mud shedding issue drops them to a 4 overall.

Similar Products Used: Shimano 540, Shimano 770
flydog   Cross Country Rider [Sep 15, 2009]
Strength:

Price and low weight

This is a fantastic pedal for the money and one of the lightest pedals you can buy. It has performed flawlessly and is easy to get in and out of. Great clearance for cornering and boulders.

Similar Products Used: Shimano SPD
yellowjeep   Weekend Warrior [Jun 19, 2009]
Strength:

Cheap, look cool. Worked just like they should for about 2 years.

I think mine may have been defective, they broke in two.

These were great pedals while they lasted. I used them for trail riding and riding back and forth from class. Nothing to stressful but quite a bit of use anyway. I was riding to class one day and dropped off a curb. My foot slipped and I heard metal hit the ground. Broke the pedal clean in 2 pieces right behind the axle. There looked to be voids in the AL casting. Anyway I still think they were good pedals, just something to think about when they are this inexpensive and have less material than say a 520 .

Similar Products Used: CB smarties.
Shimano SPD
bank5   Cross Country Rider [Apr 28, 2009]
Strength:

Cheap, Tension Adjustment, Relatively lightweight, easy to lock into

None so far

I just bought these but have been very happy with them so far. I like them even more than my Eggbeaters which I really like but broke them twice in a year. I'm not too concerned if I break these because Performance Bike has a great return policy.

The tension adjustment is great on these. You can make it super loose which is great for beginners trying clipless. Or you can make it very tight if you're more advanced riding. I've kept it in the middle for now.

If you want a decent clipless pedal but don't want to spend a lot, I highly recommend these.

Similar Products Used: Crank Brothers Eggbeater C
sjumpr1   Racer [Mar 20, 2009]
Strength:

light, clears mud well,

none so far, look as if they might shatter into a million pieces if you were to hit something.

These pedals are very light! Almost look like a skeleton of a pedal, nothing for mud to cling to. Feel strong(I'm 6'3",240#) but does lead me to wonder what will happen when I eventually hit the random boulder or log. Very easy to clip in and out, good choice for the first timer. I like the visual tension indicator. Actual noticable difference when the tension is changed one way or the other. Spin smoothly. Raced once with them so far in the muck and slush you get in March in the midwest and the biggest + is that I didn't think about them at all!