Nashbar Expedition ATB Pedal

As rugged as it’s name implies these pedals are built to take all the punishment that you can dish out. Cro-moly axle with sealed bearings. Adjustable spring tension with left/right independent rear cleat grab for easier entry and exit. All aluminum body helps keep the weight low. 4 degrees float. 349g. Specify Color: Black, Titanium or Blue.

Brian   Weekend Warrior [Oct 19, 2005]
Strength:

Very Inexpensive, blue color matches my bike!, easy to clip in/out

Scratch fairly easily, but who really cares?

These pedals do what they claim, and are an incredible value for the money. I was unsure at first how good they would be, but in all honesty they compare well with my Ritchey Titanium pedals on my FS bike.

Similar Products Used: Ti Ritchey pedals on my FS bike
Albert Osorio   Cross Country Rider [Apr 06, 2004]
Strength:

Light, Good release qualities, SUPER price.

The "sweet spot" (where you can still move your foot around without disconnect) is a little narrow. Not a big issue.

I think these must come off the same line as the Old Ritchey clipless pedals that came in yellow and red colors. They look alike. This is a great value. Let's see how they hold up over the long haul. Great alternative to Shimano 525 and lighter.

Similar Products Used: Shimano 525
Dave   Cross Country Rider [Sep 27, 2003]
Strength:

its cheap, it works as advertised, its spd compatable, its pretty light and it hasnt given me any real problems.

none really. the release tension loosens up on me every now and then. Sometimes its hard to get into but that could just be me. The cage is a little grabby so sometimes you feel like your clipped in when not but its not a big problem.

They are good pedals. I'm happy with them and dont plan on upgrading to egg beaters or anything. these work jus fine. i havent had any problems with getting out of them any the only problems iv had getting in are on techical sections where i just dont have the 2 seconds to spare to pay attention to what im doing. they havent clogged up in mud yet. I have beaten them on many rocks and logs without any problems.

Similar Products Used: none. this is my first set of clipless pedals.
Half-Fast Biker   [Aug 14, 2006]
Strength:

Cheap Price, ease of use.

1st pair broke within a year of use.

These pedals are cheap, easy to click in and out of, and the small size of the SPD cleats makes walking around out in the woods easy. I bought these after my first set of Wellgo SPD style pedals wore out after years of use and developed way too much lateral play in the bearings.

The bad side.....the ones that I have on my bike now are actually the second set I bought, the first set only lasted one year. What happened was that the cleat engagement mechanism (the two chrome "fingers") that hold the front of the cleat in broke on both sides of my left pedal. The first time was after about 9 months of use, and the 2nd time was at around a year of use. The mechanism broke where it comes up out of the pedal and is bent at 90 degrees to form the two fingers, both sides of the left pedal snapped off at the same place. First time it happened was when I was standing up going over some stutter bumps on a local Rail To Trail and my left foot slid forward off the pedal. At first I thought the pedal had just disengaged, but when I looke down I noticed that the engagement mechanism was broken. I continued to use the pedals over the next the 3 months, using only one side of the now-broken left pedal. One day 3 months later while making a U-turn on another Rail Trail the front end of the bike washed out and I fell over going about 1-2mph, when I got up I noticed that the pedal had broken at the exact same place again...my double sided pedals were now broken on both sides.

I thought about buying a different brand of pedal to replace these because this set didn't last anywhere near as long as the old Wellgos I used to have on the bike, and this kind of breakage is kind of dangerous, especially considering I hadn't really ridden these pedals in any hardcore singletrack offroad conditions before they broke. In the end lazyness got the better of me, and I just decided to buy a 2nd set of the same pedals, because I didn't feel like changing my cleats on my shoes if I bought another brand. So far this second set has worked well for the past 1800 miles/5 months since I've had them this year.

Similar Products Used: Wellgo SPD, Bebop, and Look road pedals.
Mtn Hack   Racer [Mar 28, 2005]
Strength:

Inexpensive, durable, clip-in/out ease, adjustment

none, maybe weight

These are really THE best value:performance components for your ride. With a minimal amount of maintenance, they will give you nearly unflawed performance for 1-3 seasons depending on use (mud/water/snow/racing). And the absolute best part is that they are cheap enough to replace after 1 season if you are too lazy to take care of them. With 4 pairs under my belt (3 different bikes, rotating the newest set onto my best bike) I have yet to break, bend or damage anything. (save for one stripped out cleat hole)

Similar Products Used: shimano spd, look
Tony   Cross Country Rider [Dec 12, 2004]
Strength:

Easy clip-in

Terrible seals

For the price, they're great. The bearings are smooth and the clip in/out is easy. However, the bearing seals are worthless. You can actually take your finger and move the flimsy cover with ease (btw, the grease is blue in color).

Similar Products Used: Shimano 959's and the venerable 747's
Brandon   Weekend Warrior [Jun 16, 2004]
Strength:

Work Great, Shed Mud Well, Take abuse and keep on tickin', easy in and easy out

None that I've found that aren't directly related to user error

Kick ass pedal for an even better price, if your thinkin' of going clipless definetly give these a try

Similar Products Used: None-first pair of clipless pedals, no need to try anything else
Albert Osorio   Cross Country Rider [Jul 11, 2006]
Strength:

See My review from 2005 below. This is updated info.

Just want to add that after a year or so of use, there is a strange resistance on the spin.

This is actually my second pair. They are a good deal. But, all the shimanos I've owned maintained a really friction free spin up until the play in the bearings meant it was time to "put the pedals to sleep". With these Nashbar pedals, I noticed after a year of XC use the spinning gets sticky and resistant. I sprayed WD-40 into the spindles just on the inside of the pedal and they got better, but needed to do that around once a month to maintain a fairly clean spin when I "swacked" the pedals with my fingers.