Fyxation Mesa MP Pedal

Mesa MP

The Mesa pedal is ideal for freeride, BMX, winter, and urban riders that want a hard hitting pedal built to provide a solid platform for any style of riding. Made from impact grade nylon, the Mesa is a wide platform pedal with a super thin profile.

Dane   Weekend Warrior [Apr 23, 2012]

Low profile, right amount of grip, smooth pedaling

Lack of endcap durability could potentially make this pedal useless after one crash. Design integrity is dependent on the endcap.

Having owned the original Crank Brothers 50/50's, the first thing I did when I got these home is tighten everything up snugly. Seemed like they weren't far off, but I gave them a little extra, just to be sure.

I mounted these to an offroad unicycle, which admittedly hits the ground more often than a typical mountain bike, but I found that the nylon body is not rigid enough to retain the endcaps. Though the caps are threaded, and appear deep enough, the endcaps were ejected by side impacts (pavement). This wouldn't be a huge deal on its own, but there is a barrel spacer that is held in by the endcap - when the cap goes, so does the spacer, leaving about 3/4" of lateral play in the pedal. This happened to both pedals on the same day.
My conclusion: Nylon is too soft a material for this type of design. If these were aluminum, I wouldn't have a complaint.

Similar Products Used: Crank Brothers 50/50, Nimbus muni pedals, Haro flat pedals, etc.