Easton Cully Pedal

Cully

Easton Cully

Pizzy   Racer [Sep 05, 2003]
Strength:

Light, low profile, pedal doesn't spin too much when you do no-footers and stuff.

Pins fall out easily, sealed bearings aren't really sealed.

SUCK. Very frustrating for the money when they seem great for a couple months then just fall apart.
Avoid them if you put alot of riding in. For the avid biker, the bearings alone are reason to not buy these crappy pedals.

Similar Products Used: Sun, DB, GT, Tioga
Dimm   Weekend Warrior [Apr 24, 2003]
Strength:

The pedals, are light, excellent bearings, and strong as rocks

excellent pedals, tough as nails, took a few spills on my bike and the pedals got hit quite hard on some cement, and took the blow like a real champ...i would offer these to anyone whos willing to pay the money for some of the best pedals out there

Similar Products Used: Shimano DX (my other pedals)
steve zellers   Cross Country Rider [Jan 22, 2004]
Strength:

Crazy Fly Grip, No Flat pedal should have this much Grip
Crazy Fly Lyte, I don't think you can save much more weight on flats

A little TOO Light, I bashed the right one on a rock coming around a corner at low speed and the axle bent like a cheap lawn chair, and im only 145lbs.

These are not worth the money, you would be better off getting a set of magnesium pedals, or the Azonic A-frames are suppose to be the whip-diggity, hmmmm, there is a company out there wit a lifetime warranty on their flats, i can't remember right now though, but i would recommend something other than these, definitely.

Similar Products Used: DK Iron Cross, Primo Supertendy's, and ummmm, thats it
Lionel   Weekend Warrior [Jan 02, 2004]
Strength:

Looks, durability (main body)

Pins fell out, replaced them

Pretty good set of pedals for the money. The pedal body is actually very durable. I hit them pretty hard a couple of times on concrete pavements as I ride urban a lot and because my bike has a pretty low bb height. The anodized finishing doesn't last as well though but it shouldn't matter that much.

The pins fell out though, even though they came with thread locker. I had a spare set of pins and I hesitated to use them so I kept them. I just bought some stainless steel allen head bolts of the correct size and used them instead of the original pins. I put thread locker on them of course. This is a better alternative as these allen bolts don't eat the soles of my shoes as do the sharp ended pins that came with the pedal. You won't get as well a grip on the pedals with these allen bolts though.

Thankfully I have not riden my bike as much in bad weather so the pedals have not seen much water. I do hose down my bike after some rides in dusty places before I load it on my car. I can't tell you if the seals are great but perhaps they are. I've not had problems with them even though I usually don't bother to dry off the bike properly after hosing it down or washing it.

I also like the fact that the pedals don't spin wildly after you take your feet off them.

1 chili deducted from the overall rating for the crappy pins. 1 chili deducted from the value rating for the fact that I had to spend a couple more dollars to get my own set of allen bolts to replace those crappy pins.

Similar Products Used: None
Sack O' Spuds   Downhiller [May 15, 2001]
Strength:

Strength, quality, low profile, rice paddy field area, spindle brake!

Price - which is in line with industry but is getting a bit silly for a pedal.

Extreme lean factor: 10. Very good. Only the Atomics are (slightly) better.
Grip factor: 11. Top grippiness.
Hurt factor: 11. Long narrow pins for max grip (although they are adjustable) means crunch time for your shins/calves.

Feet Flail Factor: 1. It's very unlikely your feet wont find some part of the pedal to latch onto in those panicky moments when you've realised that the superman isnt going according to plan...
Spindle Brake factor: 11,000. It's the nearest thing to an Instrument Landing System for your feet.

Overt Cool factor: 5. There's nothing to scream that you're riding one of the best pedals in the world.
True Cool factor: 11. Which is very cool.

Wallet factor: 3. They say you have to pay for quality, but...?

Similar Products Used: Flats - Atomic, Azonic, Shimano, DK, Primo, DMR, Wellgo
TLtheHun   Weekend Warrior [Apr 27, 2001]
Strength:

low profile, appearance, warranty, large spindle

allen socket head at the end of spindle would be a nice touch to ease installation and removal`

I swap between the 747s and Cullys depending on the ride. Clipless are for climbing, platforms are for fun.

If you find yourself enjoying the descents a lot less than you should be, get a pair of platforms. Cullys, Flatboys, Kores, $20 generics, whatever. Yeah, they make climbing a little harder but (at least for me) not so much so that it matters. I'd say they hurt me less going up than clipless hurts me going down. My last crash with clipless (washed front end) put me on my knee, forearm and shoulder. My only crash with the Cullys so far (tucked front end) had me stepping over the front of the bike and landing on my feet 6 feet down the trail. Would have never gotten both feet out of what are excellent clipless pedals.

2001 Easton Cully:

280 grams on Gram digital scale, (8) 0.113 dia x 0.150 inch protrusion replaceable studs per side, 0.800 thick at axis, approx 3.5 x 3.5 concave platform, approx 1.0 thick at widest point parallel to spindle.

Similar Products Used: Shimano 747 clipless, generic BMX platform
Russell   [Apr 10, 2001]
Strength:

It is a very strong pedal. Grips foot the best out of any other platform pedal. Cleans off easy.

expensive if you buy them retail

The best! Buy this pedal if you are into bikes. You can use it for xc,dh,freeride, etc. I have these on my freeride hardtail. I do alot of everthing on that bike. Very versatile pedal.
Although I have only used these pedals for a month, the guy who i bought the bike from had 'em for 6 months. Only a couple bent spikes but they still grip good!
They are 530 grams.
Wear shins guards just in case! I was coming down a rocky section of a favorite singletrack and my foot bounced of the pedal. It was my fault, getting a little careless. The pedal whipped around and my fox shin guard got snapped into 3 pieces. Thank goodness it mangled my guard instead of my sasquach chicken legs!
I haven't found a pedal yet that deserves 5 flamin' poops, but this is close.

Similar Products Used: wellgo, performance, shimano m646 clipless, cage pedals
Charles T   Cross-Country Rider [Nov 13, 1999]
Strength:

Built like a army Tank
2 year wrn from easton
double sealed bearings
Threaded removable pins
serval hieght adjustments

NONE

After spending a fortune on pedals buying more than just shown here. I FOUND IT.
This ia one bad ARSE pedal has more grip than crupi platfroms also has a slight concave to pedal.
If you nail this one wrong though, Better have good shin guards or something to stitch you back up with.
Clipless is not for ME . But dam this pedal is the ONE!
Price is high. Also has oversize spindle see site.

Similar Products Used: M636 Shimano
M545 Shimano
Kristof Ulburghs   Weekend Warrior [May 15, 2001]
Strength:

Super strong

The pins do not retract when hitting my legs []-]

Funny that almost everyone mentions the pain they cause. I'm currently enjoying the results of a no-shin-guard-wearing-dumb-*ss-move. Ripped up my right calf some. ( Oh, I do love pouring alcohol on deep flesh wounds >-), and getting stitched up )
But they are the Cadillacs of the platforms.
Just 3 chilis for value, 'cause there is no reasonable explanation for buying platform pedals this expensive.
5 Chilis overall 'cause these suckers rock and who needs reasonable explanations anyway.

Kristof out.

Similar Products Used: Wellgo platforms : adequate, much cheaper
NC-17 platforms : like the Wellgo's
Darius Teter   Weekend Warrior [Aug 06, 2002]
Strength:

Looked kind of cool

Pins can't take the punishment and eventually bend, making it impossible to adjust them. Internals - spindle and bearings are weak.

I noticed that most of the reviews here were written after a few months or less. Had I written a review when I first bought this product it would have been similarly positive. But I've been running these for more than a year and they suck. All the pins are bent over even though I ride only in soft-soled sneakers. Last week on a generic hill grind I start hearing popping and grinding sounds from the right pedal. On close inspection I saw that the pedal body had 1 cm of lateral play - it was basically coming off hte spindle. Spindle connection to the crank was fine - not loose. The large screw on the outside edge of the body, which holds it to the spindle, was firm. The friggin internals jst broke, plain and simple. I;ve never used these pedals for real jumping, only technical steep DH style runs and a lot of more mellow rides. Pedlas this expensive should not die after just one year. They get one stinking dog poop only.