Crank Brothers Smarty Pedal

Smarty

Crank Brothers Smarty Clipless Pedals. Easy entry and exit. Ideal for Mountain, Spin or road cycling. Lightweight and clean look.

Rafzi   [Aug 03, 2014]
Strength:

Look nice. Small platform. Brand. Cheap.

Durability - none to speak of.

Stay away. Buy a used Candy C instead.

Bought new, cheaply, to continue to use Crank's egg beater system on another bike, mainly to use for commuting. Lasted 3 weeks on my bike. 2 weeks of very light MTB and one week of commuting. All in sunny and dry weather. About 600-700 km. After two weeks I noticed that caps have fallen off, but since the weather was good (no rain or mud) I never worried. Following return from holiday, I used them for commuting (still beatiful weather). On the 5th day of commute left pedal came off the crank in my shoe. Bearings seized completely and pedal unscrewed itself. Fortunately this was on a bicycle path and I stayed on top of the bike sustaining only a very slight injury from hitting the crank.

I like eggbeater system. But use something else tna Smarty. Used Candy C with loose bearings with quite a big wobble cost me a fraction and already lasted four times longer. Still going strong on commuter. I am also quite happy with eggbeater 1 and eggbeater 2.

gussandabbydaddy   Weekend Warrior [Jun 05, 2011]
Strength:

Easy to use for a first timer, easy to install, available color schemes nice as well...Light weight

may lack durability, however I seem to have done much better than most have lasted 300 miles so far. also platforms seem kinda useless way to slick, or at least with the Bontrager Mtn race shoes...

Seemed like a good way to start clippin in... so far been satisified. for the price paid you cannot replace the cleats for this so if and when i need to upgrade I will likley stick with a better version of them...

Similar Products Used: none
tnkntx   Cross Country Rider [Nov 08, 2010]
Strength:

Easy to get in

Sometimes hard to get out of, short life

These pedals came with my bike and lastest almost exactly one year, around 900 miles. For the price, if you have to get something cheap, this would be a good option. But the bearings seized after a year suddenly on a ride and the pedal came unscrewed. Which could have been a bad situation :) There were times when trying to release from the pedal, the cleat would be in just the right spot to get trapped in the platform and I couldn't release.

mattman   Racer [Oct 30, 2010]
Strength:

Simple design, very easy to clip in and out of, hold up great on muddy trails.

They wear out fast. I tend to unclip with my right foot and as a result the right pedal is way loose compared to the left pedal. Over the course of a year, they have also taken numerous hits against rocks which now causes them to rattle.

Good for learning and casual riders. Really cheap too. Not so great for serious riders or people who ride on technical trails because they wear out quickly and get damaged easily from bumping into obstacles. I will be upgrading shortly.

Similar Products Used: None, first clipless pedal set.
3cballs   Weekend Warrior [Aug 19, 2010]
Strength:

They hold you clipped in, easily sheds mud.

The most difficult pedals to clip-out of. I have never fallen so much.

Buy something else, these are dangerous in my opinion. These pedals came as stock equipment on a new Cannondale Rize 3 that I bought 3-months ago. I have fallen dozens of times, a few hard falls too. These Crank Brother pedals offer no adjustment to tension and are just too difficult to clip-out of (I have the cuts/bruises to prove it).

I contact Crank Brothers (CB's) customer service to see if this was an ongoing issue (as is reported w/ CB's Candy pedals) and what could be done. CB's told me, "We can rebuild your pedals for you, or we offer an upgrade program. It costs $39.00 for EB or Candy C or $69.00 for EB or Candy SL upgrade." They did not address the issue of not being able to clip-out.

I am buying new shimano clipless pedals, and may upgrade to Egg Beaters... mo $ may = same problems.

Similar Products Used: Various shimano clipless pedals.
melt616   Cross Country Rider [May 05, 2010]
Strength:

Strength, Durability, mud shedding, ease of exit, value

difficult entry

Excellent value, $40 or so new. Very good performance, stays clipped in on most strikes, bomb proof. No pedal is super easy to clip out of, that is just the nature of the type of pedals, if you want a sure way to un-clip buy platform pedals and enjoy the pedal strikes to the shin and still trying to get up the hill when I am half way down. You are going to fall, get over it. These pedals are difficult to find the engagement point for entry though. I would recommend them for someone on a budget, otherwise spend twice the money and get the new Candy 2//'s

Similar Products Used: XPedo, Time
jireland   Cross Country Rider [Apr 02, 2010]
Strength:

Easy clip out
Lightweight

Difficult clip-in
Heal of right foot can hit the crank arm due to inconsistent float on cleat

These pedals came with my bike and I decided to give them a try before simply replacing them with SPD. I have been riding SPD for over a year and found SPD to be very easy in and out and the shimano build quality to be excellent.
I found the cleats to be very small and I needed to use the shims to raise the cleat so it would clip in at all. Clipping out was smooth and pretty easy, but getting clipped in took way too much concentration. Clipping in with the foot pointed down at 30 to 45 degrees worked best, but this is not ideal since once one foot is clipped in, this angle is hard to perform with the non-clipped in foot. Once clipped in I found the left foot was more or less stable but the right foot could float in towards the crank arm and make contact with the crank. The cleat was adjusted but to no avail. The platform is likely the problem, and the fact that the "eggbeater" can rotate independently of the platform, which can produce pedal positions which are harder or easier to get into. This pedal is also not easy to clip out of going downhill, since the downward clip-in angle is being simulated when riding downhill. For a beginner, avoid these pedals and learn on shimano SPD. They are much better value and much more consistent. SPD-M520 cost about the same and work much better.

Similar Products Used: Shimano SPD-M520
fgrcl   Weekend Warrior [Feb 26, 2010]
Strength:

Value, platform, Crank Brothers system, warranty.

The end caps fall and they start to feel loose. My first pair got broken in less than a year.

This was my first set of clipless pedals. I learned quickly to use them and the Crank Brothers system is very reliable under almost any condition. Most of my friends use SPDs and sometimes they can't get into their pedals or even out of them (ouch!) in muddy conditions. That has never happened to me.

But the Smarties are not made to last, they start to feel loose after a few weeks and it's a funny sensation in my feet. In my first pair, a spring broke and i had to come back home riding them as platforms. But i took them off the bike and went to the store to complain and they replaced them under warranty.

I think they were a good pedal set to learn riding clipless. If you learn to ride in them, there is no reason to go SPD. And since the Smarties have a small platform, I can ride them with regular shoes for short rides.

It's over a year now and this second pair feels loose, so i'll upgrade them to Candy C soon.

Oh, and I'm also starting to build a fancier bike for my bigger rides. I'm getting it a brand new pair of Candy 2Ti.

Similar Products Used: None so far
smokey   Cross Country Rider [Feb 25, 2010]
Strength:

light, inexpensive

can be difficult to release

i thought i would give these a try b/c they are light weight and cheap. i also wanted to try out eggbeater style pedals. i thought the plastic might be a problem but it has held up fine. the problem i have is that one of the pedals is at times very difficult to release and has caused a few falls. i don't know if the candy's suck this bad (they look to be pretty much the same but with better materials). the 2 worst bike products i have ever purchased were these pedals and a crank bros pump which fell apart before inflating a single tire. i plan on going back to shimano.