Crank Brothers Mallet M Pedal

2-sided pedal with 4-sided entry, large magnesium platform and chromoly spindle

• platform: magnesium
  • wings: carbon steel
  • spindle: chromoly
  • armor / traction plates: stainless steel. replaceable; extra set included with longer teeth for more traction
  • warranty: 2 years
  • stack height: 15.2mm
  • release angle: 15 or 20 degrees, variable with cleat placement
  • cleats: standard egg beater cleats. 1 pair included with pedals.
  • core egg beater technology: simple, reliable design, 4-sided entry, excellent mud clearance, inherently light-weight, easy to maintain and rebuild
  • colors: silver, orange

• User Reviews (22)

M_K   Weekend Warrior [Jan 27, 2009]
    Strength:

Large Platform, easy in and out, retention

Bearings, seals.

I've had these since 2004. You have to repack them with grease every 1-2 months to keep them running reliably. I only found this out after realizing that I had worn the body where it meets the spindle, which developed into a bit of extra play. Now they are on my winter commuting bike and the large platform is very useful in these conditions, since I don't always have the luxury of ensuring that I've clipped in.

Compared to Shimano, I'd say that Shimano offers better bearings, but a retention system that doesn't equal the Mallet.

Similar Products Used: SPDs
    Jim   Cross Country Rider [May 21, 2008]
    Strength:

Ease of entry and release
    mud shedding
    Ride clipless or just on platform

Heavy

I love these pedals! I went clipless with the Time ATAC and found them VERY difficult to get out of. As a result I found myself on the ground more times than I care to remember. The Crank Brothers pedals are VERY easy to get in and out of and as a result I have found my old, reckless self out on the trail again. I love these pedals and would recommend them to anyone!

Similar Products Used: Time ATAC Alium
    Jon Benner   Cross Country Rider [May 01, 2008]
    Strength:

Low weight
    Great construction
    proven and reliable eggbeater clipless interface
    Great tracktion

Need more color choices!
    Would have been nice to ship with an extra set of pins

This is a review for the newest 2008 Mallet 2 models.
    I was curious how much I'd like these pedals before ordering. I wanted something I could ride with normal street shoes while playing around in my pump track and around town. I also wanted a clipless pedal with a low weight. So my options were a little limited. I have rode Eggbeaters for 3 years now and I will likely never ride anything else.
    These pedals are great because for their size they're very light weight. I'm happy with the traction in regular shoes. You can notice the Eggbeater a little but it's not that troublesome. While clipping in I found I needed one shim to make my current shoes work. After the shim I was golden. It's a solid interface with a little more area for my feet. I love these pedals so far!

Similar Products Used: Eggbeater SL pedals
    Quattro SL road pedals
    Jeremy Blanchard   Downhiller [Mar 19, 2007]
    Strength:

Solid platform with clip in, solid positive engagement. handles knocks well.

none so far except maybe not so light.

These pedals really do it for me. I have tried with flatties but these give me aer ally assured feeling. i have run them trouble free on three different bikes for over a year and so far no issue. I run them for XC trails and more agressive Trails, DH's and they are excellent, despite many contacts with Terra Firmer they are still running well.

Similar Products Used: shimano, egg beaters.
    Fabricio Fracchia   Weekend Warrior [Sep 24, 2006]
    Strength:

Hold very good if you want to ride without clipless shoes, good movement of the foot when clipped in

I can't say nothing bad about them, I used in my all mountain in agresive riding and only suffered one damaged to one of the for side clips, but the CB warranty covered.

the problem was solved so good that the broken clip is nothing, the guys there are awesome.

Similar Products Used: shimano , time
    Brad   Weekend Warrior [Apr 13, 2008]
    Strength:

Very light, eggbeater design, sheds mud, good traction pins

the pins are either too low to ride with regular shoes or too high to ride clipless

I have yet to use them clipless because my shoes don't work too well with them. You have to have shoes with not a lot of tread sticking out or else they don't clip in. These are very light and shed mud like nothing. I have heard great reviews about the eggbeater system, but for now I like them with just regular shoes. The adjustable pins are great, mine are way out so they grip to my shoes very nice. I like these a lot, and eventually I will use the clipless part. I have the 2008 mallet 2's, which are somewhat different from the 2007 mallet m's. If you could not adjust the pins (like the 07's) they would not be very good with regular shoes. the butterfly sticks up too much in the middle, making that what your shoe will touch. you can ride them around town, but if you are doing serious mtbing this would not work very well with the 2007's. These are great for clipless and platforms, just make sure you get the 2008's with the adjustable pins.

Similar Products Used: cheapos, shimano 545s
    ben   Racer [Aug 11, 2006]
    Strength:

versatility, work well when new, light for this type pedal

same as last reviewer in the my bearing cartridge blew up and has left a small fragment in the pedal so i cant install new bearings so all i can do is throw the pedal away

i wasnt going to write this review, but it seems to be a repeating prob with me having the exact same issue as previous reviewer.
    at first i thought tis pedal was great due to the versatility of using with clipless shoes or just riding on thre street in sports shoes, its jst a shame they dont hold together for an acceptable amount of time
    my bearings blew without warning, seems to be a manufacturing problem as its not a on off.

johnny h   [Aug 10, 2006]
    Strength:

weight

reliability

these pedals work well when new but they soon show their weakness. theyve been back to the shop twice and are about to go back again. first time the bearings collapsed and the second time it was the clip-in (eggbeater) system went tits-up ! peaty must have a new pair every ride !
    at least they come with a two year warranty and the servie from the distributors (2 pure ) has been excellent.

Similar Products Used: shimano
    Knotty boy   Downhiller [Apr 03, 2008]
    Strength:

light, large platform, ability drag your foot backwards to clip in.

Very weak, design flaw that has the bars exposed on the under side of the pedal

I've used these pedals for about 2 years now and feel I've given them a good enough go. I first had a pair of Mallet C's and clipped the underside of them on a rock. This resulted in one of the clip in bars snapping. Once I thought was just bad luck, but I brought a pair of Mallet M's from a friend and now have 3 out of 4 pedals broken with the same problem. I only ride downhill and obviously in rocky places. If the impact is light enough that I don't crash and fall off my bike then I expect the pedal to be able to handle it. I like giving something different a try, but will go back to Shimano which can take a lot more abuse and have a more positive action with adjustable spring tension. Crank bros are great if you are sponsored and get pedals in packs of ten.