Crank Brothers Mallet C Pedal

• easy entry and exit
  • spd® compatible*
  • fully rebuildable
  • excellent 2 year warranty
  • superior mud shedding design
  • chromoly spindle, aluminum platform, carbon steel wings

• USER REVIEWS

[Jul 19, 2011]
    BRSbiker
    Downhiller

Strength:

Worked for a day

The peddles work for the first day and never worked after that. They did not get broken riding and when I called crankbrothers tech. support they could care less about what I was saying. Switch to shimano they work so much better!

Worst peddle on the market switch to shimano!

5.10 Greg Minnar

[Mar 04, 2010]
    Turkeyfrankfurter7-11

Strength:

I liked this pedal due to the fact I could ride it without having to put my mtb shoes on all the time. it was easy to clip in. It lasted for almost 2 years. Easy on the knees when comparing to shimanos.

The bearing on the left pedal went south about a year into it. It still rode good, but it didn't spin freely very well. it didn't affect my cycling whatsoever. I had read about this being an issue, but wanted to give these pedals a whirl anyway. non servicable. It did break finally and luckily i wasn't in too far and only had to hike it out about 3 miles. It sheared off like many other people have had happen. I was amazed by that. They don't grip to your shoe that great when unclipped, but i was still able to hit jumps un clipped and stick the landings. I beat these up and they held up for 2 years almost! Oh and they are slippery when wet! Oh and you can't tighten the clip.

for what i paid, i got 2 summers at northstar and downieville and my secret trails near p town just about every day out of them. I was happy with these pedals, just bummed that they finally gave in. I may even buy them again, but now i'm in shopping mode and i'm just seeing what else is out there. My buddy has some shimano 50/50s and i may go that route, we'll see. I like the floatness in the pedals on my knees. It doesn't bind them up like the shimanos do.

shimanos, oldschool voda/vovas whatever they are! 2 piece shimanos and 1 piecers. and these crank bros flats/clips.

[Feb 21, 2010]
    willtsmith_nwi

Strength:

The concave platform design is #1 in it's class as gives you three points of contact on the shoe. It's easy to get in and out of these once you get used to them.

They are dangerously unreliable. I lost count of the number of axles I snapped from XC riding. I was putting off switching because all my pedals were some variety of Egg Beaters. The final snapped axle directly resulted in a separated shoulder.

Besides dangerously crappy metallurgy, the seals on this and the Acid pedal are horrible. The rebuild kits don't even come with all the parts you need to completely reseal the pedal.

One set came with the wrong size allen key interface.

Crank Brothers will replace their low quality parts, but they can't replace my busted shoulder. Thank you for that Crank Brothers. It was my mistake to think that such clever designers would be teamed with such poor manufacturing and quality control.

By now the poor quality of Crank Brothers products draws is legendary on the boards. I will never by ANY Crank Brothers part again. They simply don't understand that a part failure in action is potentially dangerous to the health of the user.

Think twice before you buy a Crank Brothers product.

Time ATAC (now)

[Jul 31, 2009]
    dirtdawg21892

Strength:

platform as well as clip, i stand up and crank hard on the platform and it works fine (as long as it's not wet)

paint on platform scratched of by cleats on first ride

awesome pedal, just keeps going. even after my friend's sister backed over my bike, putting the pedal through the pavement they worked fine. the aluminum bash gaurds were smashed off both sides last season, and they dont have much paint on them, but they still work well. the springs have loosend, but after 2 years what do you want? (my times were toast after just one season) buy them if you want to be able to take your bike out without putting your cleats on for a spin down the road.

Crank Bros. candy, time clips

[Jul 27, 2009]
    TexK

Strength:

Durability, ease of use, wide platform

Cleat wear

These are fantastic pedals. I have used these for almost five years now from the Sierra Nevadas, to New England and now down to Florida. They were a great pedal to start using and continue to suit all conditions. More than just their performance, Crank Brothers deserves huge credit for customer service. The only problem I have had was that I actually broke the metal 'egg beater', way past the warranty period. One call to Crank Brothers and they said send the pedals in. They not only fixed the part, but did the full 'spa' treatment on both pedals and replaced the spindles...all for free. Needless to say, I am Crank Brothers fan and will stick with them for the long haul.

Haven't needed to use anything else

[May 18, 2009]
    Wozzich

Strength:

Good solid platform, looks the business.

After about two months of daily riding to work they started to click and creak, even after a rebuld. Also had a few inital clipping in issues.

I got these with the idea of having a platform so if I need to ride to the shops for milk and bread I don't have to put my shoes on. But I think they're designed for big hits and hard riding not big mileage.

Time Atac for about 8 years, ended up a bit creaky.

[May 09, 2009]
    brontotx

Strength:

Platform (sorta if you don't mind the hump from the egg beaters) in addition to clipless

WEAK! I've broken three axles in two years. I am a 280 lb clyde and put down a lot of power, so perhaps I am at the edge of the design limit, although there is no published weight limit for these pedals. CB customer service is great and replace the axles quickly at no charge, but I am fortunate to not have gored my ankle on the stubs. Plus, I had to walk out about a mile and a half the last time an axle broke.

Since CB just rebuilt mine, I'm selling them on e-bay as I don't trust them to not break again. Going to try some Times.

Suntour XC-II beartraps

[May 04, 2009]
    jSatch

Strength:

Easy in-out clip
    Large, stable surface
    Customer Service

Heavy
    Needs pins

This is a compromise product, and as such appeals to a large audience. Very good as a clip-in pedal, but probably too heavy for XC purists. Eggbeaters for them, possibly Candys.

Unclipped I didn't find this reassuring on small jumps or rough fast terrain where you'd want to be unclipped - too much slippage compared to flats. I think this may have been addressed in the newer models (1-3) that have pins, like good flats have. I hope so as it is the only weak point for me of this pedal. For my riding (trail/AM) this pedal is far superior to Candys or the old school spd/platforms I had before. I just can't see using it for FR or DH riders unless the slippage is addressed.

They are heavy, which is less an issue to me than how tough these things are.

As for customer service- couldn't be happier. One of the butterfly clips kept binding, eventually getting stuck. I thought I'd try the rebuild kit. Turns out the rebuild is for the bearings, but does nothing for the butterfly issue. So the rebuild did nothing. Second, as I had the kit, I thought I'd rebuild the the good pedal. Couldn't get the plastic cap off and stripped it. Tried drilling it out (resist the urge) but couldn't get all the plastic remains off the threads, so tried drilling the threads (could always glue a cap on), but still couldn't get to the axle lock nut.

Sent it to CB. They replaced the axle the butterfly rides on and somehow finished rebuilding my other pedal. They feel better than when they were new.
    Had the pedals back on the bike in about a week.

Charge for fixing my screw-ups: Zero.

I'd rate the pedals as 5 if not for the slippage when riding unclipped as it can be hazardous to your health- but this may be a moot point on the newer models with pins. Haven't tried them. So a point deduction on the 'overall' scoreboard for the C model.

I'd rate the customer service as exceptional. Something to think about when you drop 100+ dineros on pedals.

This pedal is a compromise, but probably the best on the market to date for trails/AM riding.

Candys, old red Shimano spd/platform, Flats

[Apr 11, 2009]
    Marcus

Strength:

Four sided entry is very nice. GOOD platform. Very nice looking pdeal.

I have owned two pairs of these and on both pairs the coil spring broke within 6 months. Luckily performance has an excellent return policy. They replaced them at no cost.

I really like this pedal design but remain miffed at the idea that they only last a few months before the spring brakes..I will give them another tru, if no next time I will go with a Shimano pedel.

Shimano downhill pedels

[Feb 22, 2009]
    asanathema

Strength:

crankbro's cleats. large platform. easy entry. cleats or no cleats. price.

paint durability, moderately easy to scuff off.

I like these. A lot. I use a custom set of cycling shoes, and I didn't like the small platform of the SLs, especially when commuting in other shoes. the mallet c's a reasonably priced, have a great platform and clip in much easier. the paint does scuff, and unpracticed clip in attempts can chew up the body's metal. crushing this into rocks on a daily basis would tear them apart, that being said, they've survived a 20 foot slide down asphalt (avoiding a car) with only moderate damage. the traction plates have yet to be replaced and work. they shed mud and snow with ease. moderate abuse they can handle. for true DH i'd probably consider upgrading (if you like clipless) or just go with the 50/50s which i'm considering)
    3 value, if you can scuff off the paint just clipping in, in the house it's a little for it's retail price. 4 overall, you've got a wide platform and clipless. it's not pedaling for you but why would you want that? the could be a bit more robust for their weight as compared to the SLs.

db peak wellgo stock pedals (wide platform) crankbro's candy sl's (clipless)