Crank Brothers Egg Beater Ti Pedal

• easy entry and exit
  • spd® compatible*
  • fully rebuildable
  • excellent 2 year warranty
  • superior mud shedding design
  • simple: Only 13 total parts/pedal

ambassadorhawg   Cross Country Rider [May 07, 2010]
Strength:

Lightweight, easy in and out, simple design. Love the floating feeling with these pedals!

Getting the cleats adjusted properly can be a little tricky.

Eggbeaters have a unique feel that gives you a floating sensation. Some do not like the disconnected feel but they make me feel like I am pedaling lighter. Srong, lightweight, reliable pedals, great company!

Similar Products Used: Shimano XTR, Ritchey WCS Pro V4
Knobby4me   Racer [Jan 30, 2010]
Strength:

Ease of clip in, Mud shuckig, lightweight

They break..eventually

I have a love/hate relationship with these pedals. I love the ease of entry and mud clearance as well as cleaning and rebuilding. My hate is that every pair of CB pedals I have owned have broken. My quattro SL's come apart after about 30 miles no matter how I tighten them. Candy C's just fell apart.

Yeah, this review is for Eggbeater Ti's. I have two pair and the first pair, 1.5 years old, broke on a modest uphill when the spindle broke in half, seriously. Almost shreaded my shin. On the second pair, 3 months old, the spring broke rendering the pedal useless halfway through a ride.

If you are like me, having the same style pedal on all bikes makes life a lot easier and cheaper for shoe needs. It's very difficult to change pedal style so I keep with the CB's. I hear the Attack pedals work with CB cleats so I may try. If you ride these, check out the bottom of your shoe and you'll see how they indent and will destroy you sole. They must know this because they make a metal plate (see their website) to install under the cleats. I did this and now they make an odd noise.

CB has been exceptional with warranty replacement. I send them an email, get a warranty number with no questions asked, send the pedals and in two weeks I get a repaired pair. The second set came back with a Ti springs upgrade. Love that.

Similar Products Used: I've Candy, Quattro, and two pair of eggbeater Ti
jmstach   Cross Country Rider [Jan 16, 2010]
Strength:

easy to get into and out of. Easy to grease and rebuild

These things are great easiest pedals to into and out of I have ever ridden, and I have been riding clipless pedals for over 20 years. no problems when in heavy mud clip in and out is still good.

Similar Products Used: shimano, time, Look
dserge007   Cross Country Rider [Sep 24, 2009]
Strength:

lightweight if you spend the money to et the Ti pedals, easy to get into

Ti 1 pedals collapsed on the start of a race, I sent them back to Crankbrothers for warranty and what was supposed to be a 10 day turnaround, 16 days later I called and got a rude warranty guy saying it's now a 15 day turnaround, Ok fine it's been 16 days...he said I'll do it when I get to it...Great Customer service there!! I'm done with them!

The wings Ti 1's wear out relatively fast for the money you pay for them, make it hard to stay clipped in, even after replacing the clips. No problems on the chrome molly pedals, there just heavier
If a good warranty and customer service is something of importance....stay away! All I got was a "don't give a crap" attitude!

JJ29   Cross Country Rider [Jan 21, 2009]
Strength:

Super engagement. Very durable. Look awesome on my bike.

None. I really like the eggbeaters.

The entry and exit of these pedals are the best that I have found. They are lightweight and very durable. Even on the Sultan I still "crab" pedals at "Bootleg Canyon", and they take the abuse!!! Buy these now!!

Similar Products Used: All other eggbeaters, most candy's, some acids,one pair of mallots, frogs before then.
p_mac   Cross Country Rider [Sep 29, 2008]
Strength:

Easy in/out. Lightweight. Bullet-proof.

Clamps on shoes wear quickly...due to the fact that they're bronze, they need to be replaced at least annually.

I have bashed these pedals off countless rocks and they keep on engaging seamlessly. They take a serious beating.

I've used SPDs and they don't clear the mud like mine do. After a muddy group ride with friends, they all went to egg-beaters after seeing how easy I was clipping in...while they were banging out the mud before getting close to clipping in. I liked them so much, I'm on my second set.

Similar Products Used: SL, SPDs
maleonardphi   Cross Country Rider [Aug 22, 2008]
Strength:

Weight, ease of entry/release

I broke one of the wings on a rock once. But CB fixed it and had it back to me in a week.

I use the Ti Egg Beaters on my MTB and Cross bikes. There is a significant weight savings over the SPDs, and I feel the 4 sided entry really helps in cross when you are constantly getting on and off your bike.

Similar Products Used: Shimano 959 SPD
Kevin C.   Cross Country Rider [Aug 20, 2008]
Strength:

Everything and they look great on my bike.

None yet.

Great pedal. Sheds mud like there eating it. 4 sided entry is top notch. Probably the best cross country pedal on the market.