Crank Brothers Egg Beater (original 2002) Pedal

Egg Beater (original 2002)

• 4-sided pedal
  • SPD compatible
  • 6 degrees float
  • replaceable bearings
  • 2 year warranty
  • patented design

• User Reviews (371)

smokey422   Cross Country Rider [Jul 01, 2008]
    Strength:

Mud shedding, weight.

Difficult entry, lack of platform for times when I couldn't clip in right away, durability. Made hot spots on my feet due to the small platform. Bruised my shins easily.

I purchased these pedals because of the rave review they got from MBA. I should have known better than to believe them. I never could get consistent entry with them compared to my Shimanos and Times. Release was OK after I shaved the cleats for technical riding. They also didn't provide a good platform for pedaling unclipped when that was necessary. The end caps fell out and they needed new bearings in a year's time, a problem I never had with my Times. They also caused painful bruises on my shins when I banged into them.

I decided to put them on my cyclocross bike that I use for gravel road, dirt trail, and pavement use. They had such a small platform that they formed hot spots on my feet after 30-50 miles. I can't imagine doing a century on them.
    If you're interested in this type of pedal, get the FAR superior Time ATACs.

Similar Products Used: Shimano and Wellgo SPDs, Time ATACs.
    Ash   Weekend Warrior [Jul 17, 2003]
    Strength:

Mud clearance
    No tiny parts
    Light

Get real hard to release if they get real dry

very reliable pedal but after a while (like 8 months) they get hard to release. Squirt em with WD40, wipe off most of it and they will work at treat for another six months. Heaps of clearance underneath and loads better than shimanos in the mud. Light.

Similar Products Used: times, shimano -all,
    Keith Smith   Cross Country Rider [Jul 16, 2003]
    Strength:

Low price

Hard to clip in and out, not confortable to ride on

I tried these pedals for a very short time before switching back to my Speedplay Frogs. The Frogs cost me considerably more money ($130 VS $50), but they're much easier for me to use, they look better (my opinion), and they are made domestically. I realize that many people love the Eggbeaters, so perhaps my mediocre review is out of line? I would still recommend riding any type of pedal before buying.

Similar Products Used: Bebop, Speedplay Frog
    Christian Groth   Cross Country Rider [Jul 11, 2003]
    Strength:

4 sided entry, super simple design, extremely light, easy entry/exit (like butter)

no platform

these pedals rock! my first attemt at clipless and they've blown me away. the ease of entry/exit is unbelievable compared to my roommates atac's. they are super duper light, and now with the triple ti option there really is no question in my mind that these are the greatest pedals on the market. as a college student on a budget they can also be doubled as a road pedal when the need arises. i love them, will never buy anything else! these pedals are great for everone, no matter how experienced you are. the two release angles give even the most experienced riders options over their feet.

Similar Products Used: n/a
    David Sheppard   Cross Country Rider [Jul 08, 2003]
    Strength:

Amazing mud clearance, Lightweight, stunning looks, easy entry and disengagement.

Hard to ride on in normal shoes(but quite honestly who cares?).

The best pedal i have used PERIOD! Loads of float smooth feeling even when the rest of the bike is suffering in the mud. Good release on crashes and bailouts. Can't wait for the next muddy ride!

Similar Products Used: Time atac, shimano 515, 959, 646, bebop, speedplay
    Lou Marles   Cross Country Rider [Jul 02, 2003]
    Strength:

Light. Consistent entry and exit. Clears mud very well.

Functionally, no weaknesses. A design flaw in the 2002 models (since corrected in the 2003 model) may result in the cage seperating from the spindle. This happened with mine. See below.

These are the best pedals I have used. Similar to the Times in their consistent entry/exit but with a little less spring tension. And the best part is the service from Crank Bros. I had the cage come off of one of the pedals. Sent an e-mail to Crank Bros. in California. Got a response in less than a day referring me to the Canadian distributer, Big Country Equipment Inc. Forwarded my e-mail to Big Country and got a phone call from them in less than an hour. Had new pedals in less than 2 days. Thanks Crank Bros. and thanks Mike at Big Country Equipment for the great response.

Similar Products Used: Time Atac Carbon, Shimano 747, VP.
    Dave   Cross Country Rider [Aug 21, 2003]
    Strength:

Light, look great, simple design

Scary DANGEROUS trying to clip back in on technical sections.

Great for non-technical rides, but just plain dangerous for trying to re-clip in technical sections. I've ridden clipless since the original Shimano's, so experience isn't an issue. IMHO: Buy the new Crank Bros (or Time) if you need more non-clipped footing than just a toothpick.

Similar Products Used: Shimano, Time, Ritchey
    Mark   Weekend Warrior [Jul 01, 2003]
    Strength:

Virtually no chance of becoming unclipped. Just the right amount of float. Good release angle.

My right pedal devloped a clicking sound. I cleaned it with a toothbrush and it went away for about one week and then came back.

I like these pedals alot. If I could get the clicking noise to go away, they would be great. Like i said earlier, these are my first clipless pedals. Now that I am used to them , I likethem alot.

Similar Products Used: First clipless pedals
    Jordan   Racer [Jun 24, 2003]
    Strength:

Easy to get in and out of. Looks good. Weight

Hard to ride when your not clipped in.

These are probably the best xc racing pedals on the market at the moment

Similar Products Used: shimano 515
    Rob   Weekend Warrior [Jun 23, 2003]
    Strength:

Easy to get in and out of, regardless of weather conditions, once you get used to them. Have not had one problem with them since owning.

Tough, if not impossible to ride not clipped in. Not fun when taking a quick ride up the street with normal shoes.

I like these pedals (02 models, no probs) but I don't think their ideal for my type of riding. However, I would highly recomend them, depending on your riding habits. I probably spend equal time riding mine to the gym, local errands and at the beach vs back in the woods. You might say my Fuel is a multi purpose type bike and as such, unless you have clips on, these pedals are not the way to go. The only problem I've ran in to with these on the trail - Florida does not have huge mountains, but we do have short steep uphills and narrow peaked trails... I tend to dabb a lot and don't always make it up these hills. When you don't make it up a hill its a problem getting out of them and maintaining your position on the hillside. I've had a few pretty good falls as a result. On a normal trail here, yeah, no problem clipping in and out to put a leg down, but again, forget about being able to pedal without any power... tree roots can also be a problem.

You get better at using them and knowing when to get the heck out of them ahead of time, (but I hate giving up on a challenge too soon) but on the other side, I like a platform type for those times I don't want to wear my shoes. (I know that's not a true MTB'ker). So, I'm probably going back to a platform type, I like the look of those Time Control Z pedals. I'm thinking that might be better for my type of riding.

Similar Products Used: Time ATAC.