Crank Brothers Egg Beater C Pedal

The brass cleat fits any SPD? compatible shoe. A special cleat for road shoes is in the works. With a steel body and spindle, a pair weighs 283 grams

rockcrusher   Weekend Warrior [May 13, 2011]
Strength:

easy of entry and exit.

Lack of tension adjustment, rapid wear of both cleats and pedal.

While these are good pedals I would never say they are great, especially after reverting back to SPDs after a long long hiatus.

The first thing that grabs me is how nice it is to be able to adjust tension on the SPD's. If you are heavier than average you may find that the eggbeaters just don't retain well enough for heavy technical riding.

The second is the fact that the pedal slowly eats away at your shoe. One should never accept that a $50 pedal will destroy your shoes whether they are $50 or $400. The fact that it makes 2 grooves at the area of most stress on your shoe is unacceptable. That they offer a stainless plate that you have to pay extra for to prevent that is even more disappointing as they have accepted that there is a design flaw yet all they have done is offer a jury rig that you have to pay more for and whose performance is dubious at best.

I have seen carbon and nylon shoes snap right at the cleat. That is something I have never seen happen with shimano, time, SPD style or speedplay pedals.

Great value for clipless experience, but a high price to pay in collateral damages.

Similar Products Used: Shimano, Bebop.
dsnow23   Cross Country Rider [Jul 14, 2010]
Strength:

They're light, pretty easy to get into and out of. By far the best design for riding in mud. They can be had pretty cheap.

They break easily. I've broken 4 in 2 years. Also, when they break, you are screwed because there is so little surface area to work with.

I would probably buy them if I didn't ride rocky trails. But, they are not tough enough for rocky terrain. I'm going back to Time ATACs. Crank Brothers is good about repairing them when under warranty. (save your receipt). But, who wants to have their ride ruined by broken pedals on a regular basis and have to ship the pedals back.

Similar Products Used: Shimano SPDs (yuck), time atacs (awesome), Kore Gass (crap)
jk   Racer [Jun 04, 2010]
Strength:

Lightweight, shed mud, easy to clip into...

They break. Fast. Worthless.

150 miles on these and the "beater" portion of both pedals snapped. Thought nothing of it so I bought a pair of SL's. Those fell apart/needed a rebuild kit after about 250 miles. Bought a backup set of Candy SL's and those fell apart/needed a rebuild kit after about 200 miles. Garbage. Crank Brothers is running a racket. Once bitten, twice shy, three times and now I'm going back to XTR's. Shimano, why'd I ever leave you?

Similar Products Used: Lots.
mlkovacs   Racer [Mar 26, 2010]
Strength:

Light...looks cool

Strange float...feet moved left and right way too much...couldn't tell if I was engaged in the pedal or not

I used these for one ride and knew they were not for me. I went back to my older Shimano XTR pedals. The EggBeaters are lighter (160g for the pair incl cleats), but just felt strange.

Similar Products Used: Shimano XTR
madmagrider   Cross Country Rider [Mar 08, 2010]
Strength:

Lightweight, durable, easy to clip into and out of.

Not titanium?

I have had nothing but great luck with these pedals. I know some other riders did not have great luck with other versions of eggbeaters, and their customer support was supposedly lacking, but overall I'm happy. This may change if I ever need to contact Crank Brothers, but after two years of constant riding at 200 lbs I like 'em.

I can't give them more than 4 stars for value because all bike parts are ridiculously expensive.

Similar Products Used: No other clipless pedal
Orion_3001   Cross Country Rider [Feb 11, 2010]
Strength:

MMMmmmm.

Price, Chromoly

I love CB pedals, but this ones have to be the Worst, clipping is difficult and clipping out is almost impossible to the point my knees are sore from twisting oout, and i wiped out hard several times thanks to this suckers. My guess is Chromoly spindles are to blame. Smarty Pedals are sooo much better and around the same price

Similar Products Used: Candy SL, MAllet, Acid and Smarties
meifteralex   Racer [Feb 02, 2010]
Strength:

Get to clip into all four sides.

Everything...... Horrible material, they break as if they were nothing. I just bunny hopped my buddy's bike off a speed bump and ended up snapping the outer cage, and i only weigh 150lb on a bike that can take the abuse, but apparently the pedals didn't. I do recommend the 4Ti pedals have had them on my bike 2 years and still running strong.

If you have a road bike and need some good cheap pedals buy them it not don't you will EAT PAVEMENT!!!! If your from up north and you see some real mountains these pedals are not for you.Excellent beginner pedals but not intended for mountain bikes.

Similar Products Used: Crank Brothers 4Ti pedals
Evan55   Cross Country Rider [Jan 07, 2010]
Strength:

light, adjustable release angle (but I think the shallow angle is too low for even beginners)

see below

These pedals answer a question that nobody asked. 4 way entry seems to be the only gimmick that sets these pedals apart.
Ive never had a problem getting the right side on SPDs, they are 2 sided and 1 of the sides is always facing the right way.

However, I still decided to give them a shot after a couple riding buddies swear by them.

First impression was not great because they often give no feedback (click) when you clip in. I couldnt tell I was clipped in, and thats not a good feeling when you are getting back on the bike about to go down a gnarly downhill.
I have hit a rock with the bottom of the pedal and it released.
I have come out of the pedal unintentionally several times while climbing or descending (on the higher angle release too), and have slammed my ankle into the pedal which still hurts to this day. None of this has never happened to me for SPD.

Otherwise they have been 'ok' pedals. Once you get used to the mushy clip in, they are fine most of the time, but ultimately they provide zero functional advantages over SPD, and some pretty big disadvantages. So stick with some solid Shimano SPD pedals like the M520s (or the XTs / XTR if you can afford it)