Crank Brothers Candy SL Pedal

Candy SL

Crank Brothers Candy SL Pedals are lightweight easy to use. The eggbeater technology provides maximum mud clearance and four entry points. Serviceable pedal. 2-sided pedal, 4-sided entry, stainless steel spindle.

Koz14   Cross Country Rider [Jan 30, 2012]
Strength:

Very easy to clip in and get out
Very light
Durable

Absolutely no problems.

These were amazing pedals up untill they got stolen along with my old bike. But I hit them off trees and rocks and had no problems. They were very light and i had no problem clipping and out. Beautiful product. If you are looking to get them THEY ARE AMAZING PEDALS You will love them.

mtber   Weekend Warrior [Dec 02, 2011]
Strength:

Light Weight
Simple Design
Cool Colors
Easy Entry, Easy Release
Easily Rebuild-able

Waaay too Fragile
Expensive Rebuild Kit
Break Often / Wouldn't Trust on Long Ride

I have been using these pedals for year now, and I don't know why. Well I do know... it's because I have a pair on 4 of my bikes, and since the cleats or proprietary I'd either have to get all new pedals, or pairs of shoes.

My problem with these pedals is the plastic body gets mangled very easily. Once the end cap gets deformed when you hit one rock, they are impossible to regrease and rebuild. In addition, the seals frequently fail.

I want to love these pedals, I really do. But I go through 2 pairs per bike a season and I don't think that's normal.

So bottom line:
Hard technical trail riding - 2 out of 5
Delicate cross country - 4 out of 5

Similar Products Used: Shimano XT
Sebastian78   Weekend Warrior [Jun 06, 2011]
Strength:

These are very easy in and very easy getting out of in a pinch. They also work like a charm and keep the foot locked down when it should.

-----====BREAKAGE!====-----

Make NO MISTAKE about it, the reports of breakage is DEFINITELY true. I have been using these for about one year and they have never been banged hard on rocks and I would say normal usage only. End caps are intact.

I was out riding PAVEMENT and approached a small hill. I got out of the saddle and after 5 turns of the krank, suddenly I had no left pedal on my bike anymore. The pedal was actually still stuck on the shoe.

If I had been on a jump or a steep descent or out in traffic, I could have been SERIOUSLY injured.

These pedals are DANGEROUS.

Similar Products Used: Speedplay Frogs, Shimano SPD
UnumSedLeonem   Weekend Warrior [May 28, 2011]
Strength:

Quite light. Good cost-to-weight ratio (because almost anything else of this weight or lighter is preposterously overpriced).

Everything apart from their weight, namely:

1. The cleats wear out faster than they would had they been made of carton!

2. Click-in feedback is nonexistent! You can only guess whether you're attached to the pedal or not (jerking your foot in a right line will help determine that).

3. Even when "attached", your shoe will occasionally disengage at the pedal's whim, not yours. These ingenious pedals will see you launch off your rig in a descent, regardless of your intention. A Dutchman or not, you'll be Flying on occasion. Flying without your bike, that is.

The cleats are so soft, I think a toothless witch would crack them between her gums. Ingeniously crafted from the softest metal, the cleats supplied with these pedals will not last longer than a month. They lasted me two weeks! If the bullets fired at Bin Laden were made of this material, Osama would have received the tickle of his life instead of meeting his creator as a result of the clash with the rednecks.

Similar Products Used: SpeedPlay Frogs, Shimano PD-A530 (dual-interface pedals), Wellgo
Daemon[CRO]   Cross Country Rider [May 27, 2011]
Strength:

None.

Read "Bottom Line" down.

Horrible pedals. I rode Shimano SPD for a year and then for some reason decided to try these. Here are the bottom lines:

a) They are much harder to get into. SPD system guides and glides the cleat into position. CrankBros system requires you to perform brain surgery with your feet every time you want to clip in.

b) They make horrible noise. At first I thought there is mud between cleat and pedal when engaged and that I am mushing and crunching some rocks that are stuck. But no, even when perfectly clean, under stress the pedals produce sound of crunching rocks.

c) All CB pedals are asymmetrical. Look at the picture of any of them and you will notice that there is a smaller cage and a bigger one. If the smaller one is rotated in front when you try to clip in - god help you. It is freaking impossible to clip in. If you are on an uphill part, where you can clip one foot stationary but need to ride to clip in second one - pray to whatever deity you find dear that BIG cage is in front.

d) They are too silent. When I was buying them, shop keeper told me it is one of the coolest things about them - they are silent to clip in and to clip out. Turns out silence is a bad thing, because you are NEVER 100% sure are you clipped in or not. Shimano SPD might be noisy, but you are freakin' sure that you are in. There is a satisfying CLUNK. With CB, when you slide in, you ALWAYS need to pull foot up to check.

e) After riding them for 2-3 months left pedal BENT. That's right, it bent. It did not crack or something explosive like that, but it is now under (subjective) 4-5 degree to the normal axis.

Horrible product. What's even worse, I am quite sure (I might be wrong tho) that all CB clipless are the same as they are all on the same principle. Expensive ones might not bend, but all other points stand for them as well.

Similar Products Used: XT SPD
angular momentum   Weekend Warrior [May 26, 2011]
Strength:

Light weight, good mud shedding

Durability

These were my first set of clipless, and they made the transition fairly smooth. However, they do not stand up to even moderate abuse. The abuse I speak of is the occasional wash-out or passing hit from a jutting root that impacts the bolt cap that threads into the composite body. Eventually, this cap fell off because the plastic housing gave in. But even before that, the pedals developed some play, about 2-3 mm, side to side.

I wanted to become a believer in the Crank Bro's pedal design, and I still think it to be elegant in it's simplicity and aesthetics, but these were not engineered for my kind of riding. Even if you don't crash or strike your pedals occasionally, I can't see a way around the inevitable play that develops. Get these if you don't ride terribly often or aren't averse to rebuilding them a few times a year.

Similar Products Used: Shimano DX
crazywheels   Racer [Apr 11, 2011]
Strength:

Easy to clip into muddy, light, four sided entry

no tension adjustment

I been riding these for 5 years with no issues. I have done everything from DH, DJ and racing XC. After 5 years one of the wings broke on my candy's. Other than that no complaints.

Similar Products Used: candy c,sl, mallet,spd
mkr   Racer [Mar 01, 2011]
Strength:

Light, Cheap.

Cheap. That's what you get. My first and last ride on these pedals. My feet pulled out of the pedal numerous times while standing up pedaling hard up hill. They're not very safe. I nearly hit the handlebars each time. There is way too much play. They do not fit snug while clipped in. Each pedal stoke I could feel my shoe move up and down on pedal.

Stick with a quality product like Time. They may cost a bit more and may be a few grams heavier but they'll last forever and run solidly. That will make them worth every dollar.

Similar Products Used: Time atac
nedmtb   Weekend Warrior [Dec 02, 2010]
Strength:

Light

Fall apart in less then one season
Can kill you
Crank Brothers not behind their products

These pedals almost killed me. The plastic end caps wore off and then the "wing" bracket that your cleats connect to broke when I attempted to bunny hop over some rocks and sent me flying over the handle bars. I spent the rest of the day in the hospital getting re-constructive surgery on one of my knees and was out for the season.

I would never ride these pedals again, but what really pissed me off is Crank Brothers response. After being laid up with the injury and training for months to recover, I sent the broken pedal back to Crank Brothers. I assumed that these pedals must be defective, that the wing brackets wouldn't just break like that. That would be unsafe, right?

Not according to Crank Brothers. Apparently the plastic end caps had fallen off and therefore the pedal failed and they were not responsible. I argued that pedals that have end caps that were plastic and could simply fall off at anytime wasn't safe and should be considered defective. They had no answer and didn't care that I rode the pedals less then one year and nearly killed myself, they would not replace them. They suggested that I should pay $50 to have them upgraded or rebuilt.

I’ve have several other brand pedals that I've ridden for years and never had any kind of failure. I bought these pedal because they were light and I wanted to try something different...BIG MISTAKE.

I think you'd be insane to buy these pedals, losing those few extra grams is not worth a trip to the hospital and a season lost.