Crank Brothers Candy C Pedal

Crank Brothers Candy C Pedal

Crank Brothers Candy C Pedals is a 2-sided and 4-sided entry pedal with chromoly spindles. Suitable for on-road and off-road use.

[Oct 06, 2012]
gary miller

Strength:

Easy to get into and easy to get out.

None that I have experienced

I have put over 2000 (yes, two thousand) miles on my pedals and by all accounts are still going strong with NO maintainance . I have fallen over twice (at a standing stop) and couldn't unclip fast enough but I really think thats my fault. I layed it down another time when my rear tire slid sideways but it occured so fast I couldn't even think or react to unclip----not really the pedals fault. If I were using regular platform pedals I would have instinctively put my foot out and probably would have torn everything in my groin by doing the splits. The end result was a very light scrape and that was it....phew.

These were freebie pedals that came with my bike (10/2008) and I have been very satisfied with them. I guess I got a good run from the factory.

[May 21, 2012]
yoni ferneau

Strength:

look great, clip in well, provide a good platform when you are not clipped in

get scratched and torn easily, bearings wear out easily

a good cheap pedal. They are reliable and have a pronounced 'click' to let you know when you are in. They give you a good platform and stability wether you are clipped in or not. Even if it does get scratched, it is only cosmetic and does not decrease its performance.it clears mud very well, but you might need to clean mud out of the cleats, but that is not a big deal. Even if the bearings wear out, they still roll well and it is easy to ignore.

[Feb 09, 2012]
elopez

Strength:

Easy to clip in and out, not to heavy. These pedals do not catch my attention when riding. I do not even remember that I am using clipless pedals.

Difficult to disengage when coupled to Shimano MT32 shoes; but the shoes should be blamed, not the pedals.

I purchased these pedals to replace my old Ritchey Logics. I first used them with Shimano`s MT 32 shoes. I used to like those shoes because it is easy to walk on them and the sole is wide and stable enough to feel stable out of the bike. Nevertheless, I did not realize that the sole interfere with the pedals, making it difficult to engage and disengage. After one silly (but painfull) landing, when I was unable to disengage the pedals, I realized that the problem is the interference. I switched to a new pair of SIDI shoes, and since then the pedal action is really good, easy to engage and disengage.

P.S. Check for interference when using this pedals, otherwise you could suffer accidents and injure yourself.

Ritchey Logic

[Jul 20, 2011]
Salty

Strength:

Light and easy to get into when muddy. Likely jam up less than SPDs.

Easy to get out of when planned but when you really need to get your foot down they require to much angle to release and are not adjustable.

I have been riding hard ass trails on the North Shore, Squamish and Whistler for 15 years and have never been as covered in scabs as I am since buying the Candy. Today I got three stitches in my head from falling over and sticking a limb butt in my temple because I couldn't release, again. I will continue to use Crank Bros on my road bike but on my mtn bike, off they come and back to SPDsI go.

SPDs

[Feb 15, 2011]
Michael07FSR

Strength:

They looked good for a short time

Lasted less than 250 miles and the bearings were junk.

Went cheap on the pedals and it cost me dearly. After just 250 miles of mostly dry road riding in Southern California the pedals failed. The left pedal was so bad it barely turned by hand. Both pedals squealed and cried every turn of the crank for the last 100 miles. Had to put on my old (2500 mile) shimano spd 520s to get me through to the arrival of my new spd 970s. Its raining this week and the spd 520 are still working great so I will leave them on for awhile.

Bottom line stay away from Crank Brothers products. I also bought their new skewers and I am disappointed.

Shimano

[Nov 19, 2010]
jonjy998

Strength:

Easy to clip in and out of. Stable platform. 2 float choices,depending on how you clip into the egg beater. Still have a platform to pedal on, when not engaged yet, like when starting out on rocky or rough terrain. Good float and peal cleat system will not clogged up with mud or debris.

Purchased 2010 model on closeout, good deal. Composite body material may break according to some reviews that have been written. 2011 pedals are now aluminum. That's okay though, I'm not that hard on equipment.

Overall I like these pedals thus far, no complaints yet.

Shimano SPD, Speedplay Frogs.

[Oct 29, 2010]
dosas

Strength:

Solid platform, easy entry, no clogging

Weak composite body

Bought new on craigslist (take offs); rode this set of pedals for less than 3 months. Went to clip in after a short mid-ride break and discovered the composite body was broken in half. Must have caught a rock with a low pedal while riding, but not hard enough to take notice.

Returned these to Crank Bros - they said that damage wasn't covered by warranty, but they would repair them and perform recommended service. With return shipping, this would come to $34. Plus the $5 to ship to them... $39? When I can buy them new for $30. Thanks anyway :(

SPD (Shimano, Ritchey), Candy SL, Candy SE, Candy Ti

[Oct 14, 2010]
BillyBlur

Strength:

ease of use and maintainence

plastic

Had a set of these pedals for 6yrs without any problems. Ride Santa Teresa's Rocky Ridge a lot; and the pedals had no issues being bounced of rocks. Replaced the old ones when got the new SC. The new Candy's only lasted 8mos. So I bought a new pair and they only lasted 3mos. Contacted Crank bros, they fixed the 8mos old pair and sent spacers for the 3mos old pair. Customer service was great, quick, and they did what they said they would do. Love these pedals and recomend them for XC or all-mountain.

shimano xt

[Jun 12, 2010]
sinjin

Strength:

light, simple.

plastic wears down.

have had three tries on these. all crapped out with spindle breaks, all from pedal strikes. first two totally broke with very minor strike, third one dented down with two strikes, leading to a bad crack on it. i managed to bend it straight and use it, but difficult to clip off afterward. easy to use, but they don't last long with any chances of pedal strikes, the last one lasted only 9 months, although 1200 miles, but still usable. i'll be trying time or shimano to see for durability.

[Jun 06, 2010]
slow_pedaler

Don't use these pedals for rocky trail riding! These are my first clip-less pedals but still they don't seem to be easy to get out of! I'm riding a 29er for the first time and clip-less for the first time and its only day three of the experiment but I keep falling on my ass! One needs to be able to get out instantly and without any planing and by reflex. Maybe that is easier with the regular egg beaters but it seems the surrounding plastic plate catches on the shoes and makes detaching a deliberate effort. Maybe I'll get platforms.