Crank Brothers Candy 3 Pedal

The Crank Brothers Candy 3 is a workhorse platform pedal that allows you to start pedaling while you're clipping in.

sashax   Racer [Jul 11, 2016]
Strength:

Improved reliability, easy clip in/out, light weight, great mud tolerance.

Limited palette of colors.

I've been riding Crank Brothers pedals for about a decade. I've been pretty fortunate, in general, as far as reliability goes. The new pedals, though, have been bulletproof. No longer do I feel I need to carry around a spare end bearing, or even worse--a spare set of pedals.

The new Candys allow their strengths to shine through without any downsides.

Doug Roper   [Dec 02, 2013]
Strength:

Durable, nice looking, rebuild kit you can actually find, smooth entry-exit.

The cleats do wear rather quick.

I wanted to wait to review these pedals until the end of the season. They were purchased in June and I have done more riding this season than most in the past. The pedals have hit large rocks, logs and still no problems. I have zero complaints about them.

Mark Anderson   All Mountain Rider [Aug 28, 2013]
Strength:

Commuting

Trail riding

I bought 2 sets of the old Candys: one set for my commuter bike, the other set for my mtn bike (I use the same shoes). Both sets died early deaths, but while they were alive the performance was excellent. They are a good compromise of light weight, very easy entry, good retention and release. During a morning commute, one of the pedals separated from its spindle. I pedaled the rest of the way to the ferry and then to the office with one foot. I brought it to my LBS and they told me it was not repairable (I have 30 yrs of bike maintenance experience, and that was my conclusion as well).

The mtn bike set failed on a long ride...fortunately, I was close to the finish when it failed. Otherwise, it would have been a long walk back...

I bought a new pair of Candy 3's after the commuter pedals failed. They have the same easy entry, solid retention and good release and float features as the old Candys. After the mtn bike pedals failed I swapped the Candy3's to my mtn bike for a weekend ride. After one ride the chintzy screws on the ends of the pedals were badly buffed. I seriously doubt they would survive a serious impact. They are sold as mtn bike pedals: they are barely commuter-worthy...

Crank Brothers are driving me back to Shimano (reluctantly...)

Ryan   Racer [Feb 28, 2013]
Strength:

*Color - The anodizing is nice and makes it look like a nice durable product (which it is not)
*Sheds mud well.

Needle bearing blew up after 7 months in the middle of a race. Completely locked up the pedal until the needles somewhat aligned themselves. Following the race I dismantled the pedal to find the bearing completely destroyed and the spindles marred from the needle bearings and shredded metal. Not a durable product. Called Crank Brothers about the "5 Year Warranty" and was told I should be servicing the pedals every 30-50 hours where their website states every 100-300 hours. They blamed it on poor servicing. A $120 pedal shouldn't require maintenance every 30-50 hours. Go with a quality product such as Shimano SPDs.

Don't buy this garbage. Get some SPDs. Cheaper and more durable.

Baldy88   Cross Country Rider [Mar 09, 2012]
Strength:

Pretty
Smoother bearings than the old design at least on the 3 and 11 levels.
Smoother platform entry and exit than the old Candy.

The "new" design isn't any more durable it appears.
Pedal body on the Candy is aluminum so it is subject to rock damage
Wings bend on impacts and CB's 5 year warranty doesn't cover "impacts"
Contact tread adapters - cool idea, but plastic on metal on a MTB pedal just doesn't hold up.

I don't know why I even thought about going back to CB pedals again. I was a die hard for 5 years until I realized how much it cost me each year in pedal maintenance, cleat replacement and sending them back for repairs while my buddies riding Time or SPDs just kept riding and buying beer with their funds instead of paying for pedal repairs. I guess the promise of a 5 year warranty and redesign lured me back in. They are pretty darn cool looking too, but don't let that fool you.

120 miles of riding and a bent wing already. I'll give them credit that it didn't break like the old ones used to.

Sent into CB for warranty repair like they used to do. "Impact is not a warranty item." Hey CB! These are mountain bike pedals made for mountain biking correct? They should be able to take an impact. Advertised as "all mountain/XC pedals" Hmmmm.... I guess I just expect too much for a $120 set of pedals with a "5 year warranty". Granted that $19 to fix + the $5 for shipping to get them to CB isn't outrageous, but these pedals are almost brand new. So now I have a $145 set of pedals that needed to be fixed already. Prievously they used to fix them no questions asked.

I had Looks that didn't fair much better, but at least they replaced two sets of pedals with no questions asked.

Never again Crank Brothers, never again...

Similar Products Used: Look Quartz - they break
Shimano SPD - they don't break!
Original Eggbeaters - solid, but would puke out their guts in the middle of a ride and leave you with an axle on the bike and wings on the bottom of your shoes.
Eggbeater SL - they break
Bibi   Cross Country Rider [Feb 28, 2012]
Strength:

Very walkable and comfortable cleats (they wear fast, but SO comfortable). Easy to clip in. No mud or ice problems. Relatively light and good enough support for longer rides.

NOT DURABLE! Come on, Crank Brothers, you had a bad reputation for durability, to the point that most stores in my town refuse to sell your pedals. Then, in early 2011, you promised a new product with 5 year warranty. I bought into the sale pitch and bought a pair. After about 8 months of city and touring use (maybe 3000-4000km), the left pedal froze... I can try to send it back to the company, but will cost me the same amount in shipping than a decent new pair of pedals, without talking about the waste of time. Lucky me it didn't happen during one of my trips abroad.

Unacceptable low durability. This is what one uses to advance, they need to be more reliable. It is a pity because the the design is nice. Greedy cost-saving choices spoiling a product (which is already slightly overpriced compared to the competition). I would only recommend them for the Sunday rider who does 500k per year - then they will last 5 years...

Similar Products Used: SPD, Time ATAC
Brad   Cross Country Rider [Oct 18, 2011]
Strength:

Good stability, solid.

Froze up after about 10 rides. Crashed twice badly because I couldn't clip out.

Unless the needle bearing issue has been corrected, these things are hazardous. I'm disappointed with the drop in quality of Crank Bros pedals.

Similar Products Used: Original eggbeaters, which are still going strong. Smarties, which were terrible, cheap garbage.
R. Leiding   Racer [Aug 24, 2011]

The 5 year warranty is garbage. After 5-6 uses notice that the left pedal was releasing early. Changed the angle of release, added a spacer, removed spacers, turned cleats around with no change. This was done over the following weeks. I brought the bike,pedals,shoes and rider to my local dealer for help. I was told they could contact the distributor. The response from the distributors rep. was it was rider error and that the pedals where fine. To continue riding had to purchase another set of pedals, which is when I purchased a set of Tyme pedals and have nothing but good to say about them.

Based on experience would stay away from Crank Bros products and Norco who is the Western Canadian Distributor. Their customer service record is not very good.

Mikhs   Cross Country Rider [Aug 21, 2011]
Strength:

Looks, ease of getting in and out of.

Crappy design of the inner needle bearings and seal.

I put these pedals on my bike in May of this year and have less than 1000 km (600 miles)on them. Today I noticed that the left pedal was hard to get into. It turns out that the inner needle bearing was shot and the pedal would not turn on its axle. Upon disassembly the needle bearing is a mess and the axle is lightly scored. Either the seal is not up to the task or they weren't assembled correctly.
Before these pedals I had a set of Time Atac's that were probably five years old and still turn like new with absolutely no maintenance at all. The only reason I changed them was the retention wires were getting thin which made them too easy to get out of.
I will get the rebuild kit for the Candies but I am not very happy that I have to spend another $20 to rebuild a $100 set of pedals after such a short time. If the rebuild doesn't last longer good-bye Crank Brothers Candy 3's.