Crank Brothers Candy 1 Pedal

The Crank Brothers Candy 1 Pedal uses its composite body and stamped steel wings to add surface area to the pedal body, which gives you more pedal power. Crank Brothers Pedals are known as some of the lightest in the industry, and the Candy 1 keeps the dream alive with a minimal weight of 262g...

crfnick56   All Mountain Rider [Jun 14, 2016]
Strength:

Great beginner pedal for someone wanting to try clipless
Good price point

Plastic could potentially be a weakness after rock strikes and things like that

Overall I really like these pedals as my first set of clipless. I will probably upgrade to the Mallet pedals after a little while but these seem like a great, cheaper option, especially for someone wanting to try clipless for the first time.

Pete   [Aug 31, 2014]
Strength:

Lightweight, easy to use, works great in mud

Poor design, low quality, wears out easily, dangerous insomuch as catastrophic failure could have led to injury

Poor quality and catastrophic failure

31 August 2014

This was my third set of Crank Bros pedals, and whilst I love the function and light weight features of them, they don't unfortunately stack up in terms of quality or longevity.

This particular set of pedals failed catastrophically after just 4 months, with the main pedal body separating from the spindle shaft on one of the pedals - I am just glad it happened while climbing, because if it had happened doing a jump or drop off it could have had serious consequences :-(

Crank Bros are not honouring the warranty for this, claiming that the pedals "had had a hard life" - certainly I have used them 3-4 rides per week over the last 4 months, but I have not abused these nor treated them any differently to other pedals I have had in the past which way surpassed the life span of these. So an interesting decision and doesn't endear me to Crank Bros at all!! They need to own their quality issues and design failings that allows a pedal to fail like this.

You make your own minds up, but personally I will be looking at an alternative quality option in future, and with a producer that takes service seriously :-)

xmessenger   Weekend Warrior [Aug 19, 2013]
Strength:

Price, weight and ease of use. Rebuildable. Mud performance.

The wings that clip into your cleat will easily fold if struck by rock or curb. Will release if bottom is pressed against something.

I really like these. Far easier to use than SPDs and weigh less plus work well in muddy terrain. I busted one going around a truck one night striking the curb but this is a freakish thing. I like the candy more than the eggbeater because of the platform. Ya its small but it help finding your footing plus its a bit more protection. They are super easy to rebuild too. I find them to be quite durable, maybe they don't stay new for long but they stay fuctional for a long time. Why people pay extra for the alloy platforms is beyond me as they weigh more and that part never breaks. Best peddle for little money.

Similar Products Used: Older SPDs.
tylerw   Cross Country Rider [Apr 20, 2013]
Strength:

this pedal sheds mud better than some others

reliability
build strength
quality is lacking for the long run

A guy gave me my first pair cb candy pedals. they worked well for a decent for 6 months or so but then started falling apart and needed a rebuild done very badly. One started spinning freely and loosely while the other would kind of stiff and binding up. The second set I bought only because they were have a great sale on them and I needed some cleats due to getting my shoes thrown away with my other cleats on them. A couple ride with them and the plastic caps on the end fell out somehow leaving the internals of the pedals with the grease and suck exposed to the elements. Still using both set but they are on there last leg.

Similar Products Used: platform and soon to be shimano spd
darton23   [Jan 20, 2013]
Strength:

The price. For 40 dollars for my first pair of clipless pedals who can beat it. After many reviews of different pedals, i finally decided on these. First i wanted a platform so i could ride with regular shoes to school. Second i wanted a quality brand behind my pedals and Crank Brothers delivers that hands down. After comparing the 1,2 and 3 together i decided on these because the only thing that was different between these in the 2 ones are the metal jacket that surround the front and back part of the pedal. It was not worth the extra ten dollars. If i had money to blow i would have went all the way to the Ti. I am in college so i am trying to save money and enjoy life at the same time.

None thus far.

You cant go wrong with these. Best value out there if you are looking for a clipless platform pedals.

vitale232   [Aug 22, 2012]
Strength:

Weight, looks

Durability, not rebuildable

These things are probably great for people that don't ride rocky trails. That's not me. The wings on my right pedal were destroyed after 1 month, leaving me one angle that still actually clips. The left pedal has developed play.

There have definitely been some pedal strikes. Don't get me wrong. I just think a mountain bike pedal should be able to take a hit from a normal pedal stroke. A hit at speed I can understand, but come on.

Crank Bros wanted me to pay ~25 total in shipping parts and labor to have these rebuilt. Why do they have to be proprietary?! Doesn't seem worth it to me. I'll just go back to Times which put up with 4 years of my abuse.

Similar Products Used: Time ATAC Aliums were good.
gingertooth   Cross Country Rider [Aug 08, 2012]
Strength:

durable, easy engagement, great surface, and perfect tension for release

cleats wear fast

well, after giving shimano xt and xtr a try again after trying them years ago i can now say shimano pedals suck. Going back to the candys again was a dream come true. These pedals have gone through the most narliest beaten they could ever see. I cant say the same for the candy 2 and 3 aluminum ones since i havent tested them. But the composite holds up very well. I hop tons of high logs and never have they popped out. if they do then the cleats are worn. I ride the most technical crap in the country and by far these pedals hold up better than anything. shimano blow, and time even worse since they break as soon as you smack them on a rock.

Similar Products Used: shimano many times, time
gsxr_randman   [May 09, 2012]
Strength:

Price...Weight

Non re-buildable....No Adjustment's for release angle

I have had these for about a year. I brought them for the price. Overall they are not bad.

jeff   Cross Country Rider [Dec 10, 2011]
Strength:

easy in and out
look good

not durable at all
too easy in and out

I loved these pedals at first but after about three months the left wore down. I fell completely due to the pedal. I jumped a rock, cleat slipped out, and I rolled down the trail.
If you want to spend around $60 go get shimano slx.