Crank Brothers 5050 XX Pedal

The Crank Brothers 5050 XX Pedal provides a large, stable platform and plenty of traction pins to keep you firmly planted on the bike, even if your bike is in mid-air.Tough Cro-Moly spindle can take a beatingAnodized aluminum body and replaceable plates are stiff and durableComposite end cap with...

Brycetron   Cross Country Rider [Apr 05, 2012]
Strength:

Look great imo. Are very grippy and seem to take abuse very well.I have smashed them against quite a few rocks and logs and they have not failed me yet. No issues with bearings wearing out or anything like that. They still spin as they did when I 1'st installed them over a year ago.

The pins do like to move in on the pedals. Only a couple of mine have done it as they came with locktite from the box. A quick loostening and re applying locktite would fix this issue.

I wouldnt buy them again. I bought my bike used and it had egg beaters. I was in a rush to get some nice flats and went for these at the LBS w/o doing any research first. They have served me well but for the price and the tons of bad reviews there are about them. I'd invest in a different pedal. For the price of the 50/50 XX you can get a similar pedal that is lighter and doesnt seem like its a 50/50 chance (no pun intended) of getting a set that will last.

Hoolagon   Cross Country Rider [Feb 15, 2012]
Strength:

Strong and grippy

From day one they never span freely. I thought this was normal as the only other person I know who has these had the exact same issue. The stiffness slowly got worse and worse until eventually I bought myself the rebuilt kit and attempted to take the pedals apart. The was able to remove the pin but the inner components were all rusted solid to the inside. I couldn't even get them out with brute force and a hammer.

Yes, they are very strong and grippy, but who cares about that if they rust and don't spin?
To pay a whopping (UK) £72 for a pair of rubbish pedals is unacceptable. If I hadn't left it so long I would be demanding my money back.
I'd always admired Crank Brothers for their ingenious egg beater designs, but I have to say this admiration has now completely gone and all that's left is a lighter wallet and that feeling of having been ripped off.

norcorider95   Downhiller [Dec 11, 2011]
Strength:

Nice and grippy, changable/customizable plates, can change pins, still perform well in the wet, they look really good too, also the 5050x aren't expensive compared to other pedals.

the pins screw them selves in whilst riding so within 4-5 runs the pins have screwed in and need loosening with an allen key to get them in the right position and after about 5 rides the bearing or axle or something has gone and now there is movement

Seem decent, but bearings or something shot after a few rides, worth the money i paid, i got them brand new for a second hand price, may need replacing soon. also long pins would need to be bought i reckon to prevent the pins screwing in.

Similar Products Used: Easton pedals, specialized mags, V8s.
josh041   Weekend Warrior [Jun 12, 2011]
Strength:

i dont think there are any

everything

it sucks

Similar Products Used: azonic 420s
hb77m1   Weekend Warrior [Jun 03, 2011]
Strength:

Great looks, strong desgin, very grippy, adjustable pins, rebuildable

Only thing id say is they are a little on the heavy side for pedals

Amazing pedal. I've had mine for over a year now and have had no issues with my pedals. I applied blue loctite gel to the pins prior to assembly, also adjusted the pins out quite a bit. These pedals have not been used lightly, countless smashes against rocks, been through snow, mud, even water crossings, and they have yet to fail me. I've never touched the bearings or anything because there has been no reason to touch them.

These have been everywhere from snow packed mountain trails to the dry slickrock trail in Moab...and have never let me down

Overall awesome pedal, low maintenance, takes a beating. Absolutley love these pedals. I'm buying another set for my hardtail.

connorboug   Downhiller [May 19, 2011]
Strength:

Gnarly grip, super lightweight, interchangeable pins, and super durable

The pins the pedal ships with a SHARP, doesn't do well with regular shoes

Best pedals I've ever used. The offer a helluva lot of grip with the right shoes. However, without the right shoes and when riding in the wet, you slip off pretty easy. Learned that the hard way with a 3 foot gap. Pedals impaled my leg and I bled all over my nice regular shoes. However, now I gotta gnarly scar to show off! Overall, a sick pedal for anyone who wants to rip it anywhere without worrying about slipping off or clipping in/out.

Similar Products Used: Nothing yet
Colddiver98   Weekend Warrior [Apr 14, 2011]
Strength:

looks, pins give excellent traction, thread lock on everything, extra pins, great maintenance instructions, rebuildable

price? lots of competition in this price point and some a 100g lighter and have a lower profile.

A good pedal that have held up to a lot of abuse. If anything I've neglected maintenance and they've continued to perform well. I plan on rebuilding and using until I can't get parts.

ocguy2004   Weekend Warrior [Mar 15, 2011]
Strength:

good grip, colors

siezed up

good pedal, but i'm checking out others. have used these for a couple years now. they performed well enough, except when the left side siezed up and unscrewed from the crank during a ride. did a rebuild and regreased and haven't seized again so far. ok fo rthe $65 i paid but wouldn't pay $100+.

Smackbiethc   Downhiller [Oct 21, 2010]
Strength:

Looks & marketing - at the time it was the only gold pedal that could match the paint job on my frame.

Uhmmm, almost everything! After one rainy ride the bearings apparently soaked up the water completely,so far for paying the extra $ for the double sealed one - pedal was completely blocked the day after. plastic screw for lubing the pedal is absolute s***, couldn't even open it once without damaging the screw. And the same if you try to replace the pins!

Absolute bad value for money pedal. I'm more happy with the box it came in than the pedal itself... Marketing & product design without quality backing up the price.

Similar Products Used: DMR V8&V12's, Welgo Ti's, Specialized 747's
sheaty   Weekend Warrior [Aug 08, 2010]
Strength:

Great platform, no slippage, pins did not let shoes slip even when muddy and wet.Well built item

Came with very little grease in axle shaft, not sure this is a weakness but the pedals sort of stay the same angle not flatten out when your foot is not on them but then again your foot never slips off so its not an issue

The quality of the product is self evident when you look at it, all pins and screws had "blue" thread lock on them, extra pins a Crank Bros sticker and Maintenance instructions come in the box. First thing I did when I got the pedals was GREASE them! I found there was not much grease in axle shaft when shipped. Follow the instructions for maintenance and this pedal should last for a long time