Crank Brothers 2003 Egg Beater S Pedal

• easy entry and exit
  • spd® compatible*
  • fully rebuildable
  • excellent 2 year warranty
  • superior mud shedding design
  • simple: Only 13 total parts/pedal
  • stainless steel spindle, body, wing

• User Reviews (64)

Mike   Cross Country Rider [Aug 18, 2003]
    Strength:

Great product - Thanks Crank brothers - I've started buying more of your products on the strenth of these pedals. As a first timer to clipless it took me a little while to get used to twisting my ankle out, but I now I've got it they are a joy!

Scraping the barrel here.. if you spin your back wheel just before a rock and the bottom of the pedal hits the rock it can open up the spring from the bottom and your foot will come out - has only happened once in 6 months of hard use so hardly an issue - and I have banged them into LOTS of rocks!

Excellent! small, sleek, simple - they have take my biking to a new level.

Similar Products Used: cages (use these to beat eggs with now)
    googly66   Cross Country Rider [Jul 16, 2003]
    Strength:

Light, secure when clipped in and easy to clip out.

No platform, but surely you realise this before you buy!!!

These pedals are just blooming marvellous; they shed mud like no other.

But what really makes these a winner for me is just now easy they are to clip in, stay in, and unclip with no effort at all. Basically you just stand on the pedal and with no adjustment I'm clipped in! Once clipped in I feel more securely attached than any other pedal and have had none of the unclipping nightmares that I'd suffered with my various Shimano models.

There's obviously little in the way of a platform, so if you rely heavily on a platform for technical sections then perhaps try before you buy.

The 2003 pedals are lighter than last years and an improved design has eliminated lateral movement.

Similar Products Used: Shimano 515, 959
    rob   Cross Country Rider [Sep 04, 2003]
    Strength:

smooth in and out, pretty tough to clog up, small and light

Mike below, describes how if you hit a rock in a particular way you're cleat pops out. i had it happen to me three times in one ride. it wasn't too much of a problem as your foot is right there and you can clip right back in but it could be a problem if it happens at the wrong time.

i highly recommend these pedals, i was a bit hesitant at first to get em but all the reviews were positive and then i busted my other pedals. i've wacked them really hard on rocks and they didn't take much damage, we'll see how they last in the long run. I haven't attempted to take em apart yet (don't need cleaning this soon), but it looks easy to do. the four sided entry blows away spd styles and no thought goes into locking in and getting out.
    to elaborate on the weakness above, as it is not as serious as it sounds. it only seems to happen in a certain circumstance not every time you smack a rock - when you're pedaling and your foot is on the up-stroke and you hit a rock your cleat will disengage momentarily. if you're pulling up, you'll come off the pedal otherwise the pedal will re-engage on the cleat. so just be aware when you're pedaling over rocks.

all in all a solid buy.

Similar Products Used: SPDs and flats
    Bob   Cross Country Rider [Sep 02, 2003]
    Strength:

Ease of use, design looks, weight (or lack of it), total lack of any need for external adjustments/lube.

Er, um, Oh yea..... no, wait a minute, Er
    Nope - nowt !!!

Needed new pedals as my 536's were getting a bit past it. I bought the 'Eggs' on the basis of reviews on sites like this and in the MTB press. I always thought SPD's were pretty good but the 'Eggs' are absolute blinders.
    I had to push down quite hard to get into them at first, but this is loosening up pretty quickly with use, getting out of them is an absolute doddle, really slick.
    Although it's a bit early to tell, the build quality seems pretty good. I honestly couldn't see myself going back to SPD's after using these, really add to the fun and they look so damn cool!

Similar Products Used: Shimano M515 / M536
    Hank   Racer [Jul 22, 2007]
    Strength:

Light Weight, "good" looks

lots

Simple fact for the weight and price they cant be beat.

If you want any more from a pedal get the Time ATAC, I have the 2004 model after they "fixed" the little problem of the platform pulling off of the spindle, and still, the platform came off the spindle (spindle wound up in my foot). I had the pedal rebuilt only to have the bearing cease and come off of the crank arm.

The only positives i have is, they are light, comparatively cheap for the weight, and they don't release like the time's when you bang a rock.

I'm going back to the Time ATAC, and I would recommend you do the same.

Similar Products Used: Spd, frog's, Time ATAC
    Ray   Weekend Warrior [Jan 22, 2007]
    Strength:

Robust, bulletproof, simple design, sheds mud like a dog on carpet.

None that I can think of

Used these for a few years now in the Pacific NW. Lot's of mud, rocks, crashes. At first I was a little nervous that the binding would get damaged hitting rocks, logs, etc., but they have held up perfectly. They won't release no matter how hard you pull up, you have to twist out. On my third set of cleats which are brass and designed to wear out before damaging the binding on the pedal. Seems like a smart idea to me. More than enough float, and a predictable release everytime. Easily cleaned and re-lubed. These things will last forever.

Similar Products Used: Mallet C
    owen   Cross Country Rider [Feb 15, 2006]
    Strength:

Light, easy to clip in, lots of float. Float is good if you have bad knees.

Expensive cleats, and they wear out fast.

A good looking, simple design, hassle free pedel. You will love it, especially in muddy regions. The cleats are designed to wear out, not wear out the pedal.

Similar Products Used: shimano spd.
    Matt   [Apr 22, 2004]
    Strength:

Out of the box they work great. Extremely easy to clip in. Hold well (for a while anyway). Shed mud well w/ their open design. Has a grease port, that's a plus.

These things tend to UNCLIP at inopportune moments. The cleats are made of soft butter and wear out too fast.

With fresh cleats these things are great. But after a month of use they unclip too easily.

1) They unclip if your pedal mashes a rock, log or whatever. This is inherent in the scissor 4 sided design. When the bottom of the pedal hits something it speads and so the top spreads and you unclip. If you're not sure what I mean demonstrate this yourself w/ a pair of scissors. Hold them partially open and imagine you clipped in. Now open them more (as what happens when you hit something) and the top opens too. Now you're not clipped in.

2) The cleat is too freaking soft. It's made to wear out too easily to protect the pedal from wear. So after about a month I unclip at inopportune times. This happens not just when the pedal mashes down on something or when I accidently twist my foot (as can happen when you're using body english).

It really sucks when your in a technical situation and your foot unlips.

I giving this pedal a flamin' turd for one month reliability.

SPDs were ok, Eggs are good only when new... guess it's time to try TIMEs. They get good reviews for dependability

Similar Products Used: SPDs
    Tom   Weekend Warrior [Jan 14, 2004]
    Strength:

Easy getting out; feels secure without being tight.
    Lightweight (even this steel version)

Not good in snow (is there any clipless that is?).
    Expensive.

Background: I rode many years with Shimanos, and was pretty happy with them except for when they got grit and water in and became inconsistent in releasing (this seemed to happen on scary sidehills in Eastern Washington, after going through creeks and then drying out on the uphills).

Crank pedals solve this: they release with a firm sliding feel that's hard to describe but which assures me that they won't jam.
    Getting in them is just a bit (not a lot, but noticeable) harder than Shimanos, but not really a problem. The issue seems to be that you don't have quite as big a target to aim for with your sole.
    They are a little bit better than Shimanos in snow. At least these can be kicked to get snow off until you can get in, whereas with Shimano, I would have to get off and pick ice out of the pedals before I could get in them.

Before getting them, I was worried by some user's comments that they were hard to ride on without clicking in, or hard to start on an uphill. I have done lots of both of these activities and have not had any trouble. They can be ridden unclipped about as well as Shimano, and I can go down technical terrain with a foot riding unclipped on one, and the foot can be kept firmly on the pedal. Starting on an uphill is easy for the same reason. I wish I had them on all my bikes (because of price, they're only on the "good" bike. I liked them so much I took them on my last vacation and put them on a rental F/S bike.

Similar Products Used: Shimano 525s.
    Nolan   Cross Country Rider [Nov 19, 2003]
    Strength:

Weight, impervious to mud and dirt, customer service, etc, etc.

weak cleat bolts (see below).

This is the most superior pedal on the market. I had a simple issue with the cleat bolts(snapped the heads off) and it was taken care of immediately by Tammy in their customer service dept. Outperforms all other pedals I have ever used. Lightweight and they look pretty slick on my ride. Who should use it? Anybody looking for the best pedal they can get. Easy to clip in, holds you, easy to clip out when needed. I was initially concerned with the lack of platform while not clipped in but that has not been an issue at all; I am staying clipped it through almost everything since unclipping is a breeze (without ever popping out unwantedly). Best pedal out there.