Bontrager RE-1 Pedal

Bontrager RE-1 Pedal

The unique wedge-shaped body guides mud and debris away from binding with every click in. Minimal contact area between cleat and binding creates channel for mud and debris flow. It's thoroughly sealed to repel most trail elements. Provides precise, consistent entry and release. Black 340g

[Jun 13, 2008]
Jay GS

Strength:

Great pedal - if you can find them, buy them. Never had a problem and they are on 4 of my bikes. Too bad they are not made any more. I have hammered these things for 8 + years. They hold up - never had a problem. They clear muck just fine. Sure if you get a stick stuck in there they probably will not work very well. But really, how many times do you get a stick shoved up your pedal? Desert to Pacific NW mud. these things rock.

Buy them if you can find them.

crank bros. Shimano 959's

[Jul 06, 2003]
marino

I had these pedals for a couple of years as they came stock on my first "nice" bike, so they were also my first experience clipless pedals and at first I loved them and thought that they were the greatest pedals ever... I soon realized that I didn't love the pedals but the feeling of being clipped in, more control, more power...all that stuff, it only took a couple of rides in some muddy areas and less that great weather... at first I thought that it was the tension so I tightened that up then it felt like my cleats were crap so I got new ones and finaly looked down and reallized that I had to big fat mud drumsticks hanging off of my cranks... I have now had several rides in thick muddy conditions and that is often what I ride in ( the last two years have been abnormally dry ) and I have to stop and clear the pedaly with a stick or I will not get clipped in...that is total bullsh##$%T!!!!! they are absolutely terrible pedals,,, I have since uprgraded to the alomost god like time atac, and think that I will jump up again to crank bros beaters... these pedals were great to let me discover what I wanted and didn't want but other than that they are total garbage... save your money and spend all the time you will save pissing around with these garbage pedals and get some atac's or some egg beaters

[Jul 06, 2003]
GREG JONES

Strength:

VERY EASY CLIPPING IN AND OUT!

A LITTLE TIGHT

GREAT PEADALS FOR THE PRICE

WELLGO

[Jun 03, 2003]
Wayde

Strength:

Entry and Release, Looks, Durabilty, Mud Shedding, Reliable

A little on the tight side, weight 337g on my scale

I have these on both my bikes that is how much I liked them. When I find something I like I stay with it. I liked these pedals so much on my Trek when I bought my Jekyll I looked for them on Ebay and found them for $22.00 with cleats and shipping. However, I would have paid full price for them again. It is just to bad Bontrager stopped making the best product they ever built. I live in PA and this has been the wettest season I can remember in my 32 years on earth and these pedals shed mud perfectly. While my buddies are kicking their cleats on their pedals trying to engage I'm locked in and gone. And when it's time to release I'm out fast everytime. As for strengh I have 2837 miles on my Trek with the RE-1's and they work like new. I have had them apart twice to re-grease and that is it. IMHO the RE-1 are the best pedal out there at a great price. You should buy this product if you ride XC and want a great pedal at a fantastic price.

Shimano M515, M536

[Aug 07, 2007]
Ben

Strength:

Reasonably durable, cheap

Heavy

I actually picked two pairs of these up back in 2000 and used them for about 6 years on both of my bikes. Each pedal has seen about 5,000 miles of use and I was amazed that they held up that long. I never had a problem with clicking in or releasing. The best 10 dollars per pair that I ever spent. They both died within the same month when the screws sheared off that holds part of the pedal together. They had seen their time. I ride mainly technical single track and they had been bashed on many a rock.

Time, SPD's

[Feb 12, 2003]
Gary

Strength:

My first set of clipless, fractured my wrist the first time using them, but they adjusted well. Softening the adjustments holds easily but kicks out easily. Handles mud moderately well.

Tend to roll when not clipped in, but what standard clipless pedal doesn't? I am going to hybrid clipless/platform for my MTB. I like to unclip in the hairy sections (Call me chicken). For you pros and crazys there is something lighter and probably better. I have put them on my road/commuter and love them for that.

Great clipless SPD pedal for general use. Smooth and effortless, once you get the adjustments correct.

Nashbar el-cheapos: They work great for my inside trainer, but unclipping is a pain (and always was a shake of the dice in traffic)...(you get what you pay for)

[Apr 24, 2003]
Richard Tibenham
Downhiller

Strength:

weight, durabilty

bad engagement

All this lot seem to like 'em, but personally i find them the worst pedals i've ever used. Engagement is very vague and difficult to locate, when using the bonty cleats supplied i found it was possible to jam the cleat in the pedal without it actually engaging and then when it came to disengagement you found your foot locked to the pedal. Mud clearance is average. Weight is good. They seem to carry on working without failure too.I'd Get yourself some Time atac s or shimano 858's. This was the first component i changed on the bike as i found them so poor.

shimano 535,858

[Oct 31, 2003]
Andy

Strength:

Reliable, light, tough, easy to get in.

Easier to get out of then in, occasionally my foot get trapped.

These are the first clipless pedals I've used consistently after being disappointed with SPDs a few years back. I got them for free from a friend and was a bit cautious as they appeared to be bashed to all hell. I bought some new SPD multi-release cleats for them and they've worked perfectly (almost) from the start of the season - I haven't even had to lube them yet. I've been really rough on them and never really had a problem except for my right pedal not releasing maybe once in every five or six rides. I bash them on rocks like crazy - you know what I mean if you ride out here. I can't speak for their mud-shedding as it isn't eco-friendly, nor safe, to ride in Colorado mud (it's a desert out here most of the time.) The only thing I wish I could change is that it's harder to get in then to get out of them. I have to set the release a bit looser then I would like in order to get in them easily. Maybe the problem is my skill and not the pedal. Oh yeah, and that 2.5mm allen head is a stupid size!

SPD

[Mar 02, 2003]
Boobber Eyal

Strength:

Durability- very very light - 288gm
price !!!

had none- did not try them that often on mud- but when i did - they worked great.

These have my recpect. They do the job ( and will do- -just sold them with the bike ). Never have i had to give any attention to them - very rel. With the extra low BB on the 2001 sugar 3 - i bashed the hell out of em on roots, rocks, skulls... you name it - they looked like mess after one year of beating them - but they worked perfectly all along!!!!!

hidden treasure !!!

[Feb 25, 2004]
Ryan

Strength:

Cheap on eBay. Tthe cleat looks cool.

The cleat is made of stronger material then the pedal material (ware on the pedal not the cleat). Mud/Wood clogs them up easy. They squeak even after maintenance. Not made for daily riders.

Well they are cheap and work... but you get what you pay for. If your a light (lbs. and amount of time on the bike) rider they will work fine.

If you ride as much as I do regardless of your weight spend the money and get something better.

Shimano, Wellgo, ICON (mtb) Look & Time (road)... demo'ed and switching to CB egg beaters.