Suntour XC Pro front derailleur Derailleur

[Mar 18, 1998]
R. Alexis
weekend warrior

I have had several bikes with Suntour XC Pro front der. I
think that it shifts great. I had the micro-drive version
on a bike with standard non micro gearing (28-38-50) and it
worked great. The cage is designed to work with both
standard and compact drivetrains. The only problem is that
there not easy to come by. Suntour also used the same
design in the der. 3-4 steps below XC Pro.

[Jan 16, 2001]
Andy Hardcastle

Strength:

These work better than anything made then or since. I don't know if it's the bulges in the cage, but they are sweeter than the new XTR. So much so , that I have Suntour XC Pro/ XC Expert on both of my MTBs.

They are hard as hell to find. Well, they are in the UK.
I found both of mine, on old but perfect ex-yuppie bikes for sale at markets.

I have swapped to Suntour for the front derailleur on both of my bikes. This means ditching XTR. They really do work so much better, which is important when you are in the middle of nowhere. I use an old Shimano Deore DX Thumbshifter for the front mech and it's the biz. Usual XTR shifter/Mech for the rear.

So, if anyone wants a couple of XTR f. mechs, get in touch.

LX, XT, XTR, Sachs, everything

[Dec 06, 1999]
tim

Strength:

cheap
shifts well

the below reviews are stupid. this f der weighs the same as shimano xt, very durable, smooth shifting

xt xtr

[May 12, 1999]
Bud
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

not brake when hit tree

head brake when go through tree

bik on freway...hed go throuu tre...wish had deralor of beter...deralor make hed thruou tre...wish had insurance

turd vaporizer, ass purse

[Apr 24, 1999]
R.C.
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

All the durability and strength of plastic mixed with the ultra-light weight of a brick. .

Not made for bikes, I had to do some tweaking.

Enougb about componentry, can anyone get to level 4 on Pokemon?

Stapler, kachina doll, scissors, television. None matched the precise shifting of the suntour.

[Feb 01, 1999]
Michael Glasgow
racer

My My My, such intellectual reviews. First, derailleurs don't have index spacing, they simply move. Shifters control indexing. Second, I bet blow me in Maryland doesn't have a clue about adjustment. Finally this is one of the more precise and reliable derailleurs I have used. Three years through all twelve months of salt, grit and slime on my commuter bike. What more can I ask? I can almost guarantee my XTR can't match this. The rear allready hasn't. It's called maintenance friends.

[Dec 02, 1998]
fluffy
cross-country rider

This is a real piece of work. It works, it doesn't have any unnecessary poncy crap. Its light, its shiny. Anyone that doesn't like it is silly. Trouble is you don't seem to be able to get them anymore.

[Jan 16, 1998]
Lee
weekend warrior

Suntour XC Pro front derailleur, Microdrive type, bought in 1996.This derailleur has a strong return spring. No hesitation when downshifting,
but requires more effort to upshift. The Microdrive type works well with
Shimano Hyperdrive-C chainrings. It has a maximum chainring size of 48.
I do not know if it will work perfectly with Shimano index spacing, since
I am using it with non-indexed GripShift. The cable pull does appear to be
fairly close to Shimano cable pull, if it is not exactly the same.Suntour has not been selling middle to high end stuff in the USA for a
while, but some stuff can be found gathering dust in bike shops or mail
order retailers. Prices vary from $8 to $23. There are rumors that Suntour
may re-enter the USA market.Weight weenies might care that the weight is about 4 ounces.img srcexed GripShift. The cable pull does
appear to be
fairly close to Shimano cable pull, if it is not exactly the same.

[Aug 25, 2000]
Arron West

Strength:

Cheap, Easy to adjust and long lasting

Hard to find!, biggest weakenss is that they aren't made anymore.

For the price these are the best deraillers made. I am using the XC pro rear on my rigid, it is shifting from a grip shift type twister unto an 8 sprocket cassette. Mechanics have told me this should not be possible, but I live to tell that it is. I have to use a newer shimano XT on the front of the Marin, I am constantly adjusting that peice of crap.
I love these products. My full suspension had a full pair on it until I broke up the pair by buying a custom machined rear. I still use the Suntour front derailler that is about 5 years old. I never adjust these deraillers except when I move them from bike to bike. I ride them HARD too.

I would reecommend these for people who want long lasting products. I would not ride DH racing on them, but anything else YES. Once they are set right, never adjust again. Sloppy enough to work on anything.

Sontour XT and XTR, Joes,

[Jun 13, 1999]
Sean

Strength:

Made in the good old U.S.H.

Gave me scavies, I thought that this disease went out with pirates!

Well, the guy who wrote the previous review thinks he has it bad, I only wish my hands would bleed instead of having to deal with scavies. It itches so bad, if only I could end it all.... Oh yeah, my friend Mr. Bojengals says the time of purification is at hand.

Shinamo RTX