SRAM XX Front Derailleur

SRAM XX Front Derailleur

If you're looking for beefy stealth, consider the XX front derailleur which shifts across the entire gearing range with near nil chain rub

[Nov 26, 2011]
Slacker

Strength:

Crisp upshift.

Flimsy

Have actually had two over the past 17 months One high clamp, top pull on a 29" Ti hardtail and one high clamp, bottom pull on my 26" Epic. Both have suffered cage failures, one on top bend, the other on the bottom. Neither gave me more than 10 months service. Going back to XT (or XTR on sale).

XT, XTR

[Nov 07, 2010]
gearjunkie88

Strength:

Shifts quickly, even under load.

Broke

During my course pre-ride the day before a 24 hour solo race, the cage on the front derailleur broke at the rear/bottom bend. I used JB Weld and duct tape to hold the derailleur together for the race. I was amazed that the kludge worked for 24 hours. SRAM sent me a new front derailleur (warranty replacement). That was cool of SRAM to do, but it would have been nice if the derailleur had not broken the day before a race. I've used Shimano parts for about 15 years and have not had problems. Bottom line: Buy the XX drivetrain if you have deep pockets, can afford to keep replacements of everything on hand, and have a full-time mechanic working for you. Otherwise, stay with the old, tried-and-true stuff.

XT, XTR

[Oct 01, 2010]
carlpretzel

Strength:

Looks great

Poor shifting. unreliable.

I'll be the first one to say this 2x10 group is not for the weekend racer. If you have a deep wallet this group is for you. Pivot got it wrong first. The clearance on the rear triangle to small ring was so close, Pivot had to replace my triangle after trying to reface the BB. Sram has replaced my chainrings twice since I've owned the bike. I've gone thru one chain and one cassette already this year. This bike is my primary racebike. My local bike shop has been great to me. Bottom line, 3x9 is more reliable. Maybe the new 2x10 system's coming out will be more reliable. One think all can learn from my experience. DON'T let the chain wear beyond .75!

XT

[Apr 19, 2010]
Alex Wild

Strength:

Light. Quick.

Very finicky(Technical term). Have had problems shifting up to the 39t ring.

It is a great idea that needs to be perfected. I have had issues with some of my XX stuff, the front derailleur in particular, the upshifts are not as crisp as I would of expected from this group. I would suggest waiting for prices to be lowered (as happened with X.0). This kit was made for cross country racers and requires a lot of upkeep. I suggest X.0 or XTR/XT for the weekend warrior who would just like to ride his/her bike.

XTR

[Feb 09, 2010]
addctd2adrnlne

Strength:

Super fast shifting

Must use a friction compound on clamp surface when installing derailleur on seat tube. Price $$$$$

Its well known among roadies that double chainring setups shift better than triples. The same is now true for mountain biking with the release of double specific front derailleur and matching crankset. SRAM/Truvativ did an excellent job with the XX drivetrain, delivering a new level of shifting performance. The upshifts and the downshifts are super fast no matter where you are in the pedal stroke.

The only downfall of the XX front derailleur (and this is only for the clamp style ones), is the need for a friction compound when clamping to the seat tube. If the friction compound is not used, then the front derailleur will twist on the seattube. Since I had the friction compound applied, the front shifting has been flawless.

Shimano XTR, Shimano XT, SRAM X9