SRAM X9 10-Speed Rear Derailleur

SRAM X9 10-Speed Rear Derailleur

You're rolling over boulders like a tank. You line up to take on a sketchy steep climb, give it a burst of power, and then realize your chain isn't connected to the drivetrain anymore. You lurch to an abrupt stop, boil over into a rage, and consider the merits of hucking your bike, riderless, down the hillside into oblivion. The SRAM X9 Type 2 Rear Derailleur helps prevent dropped chains and limits chain slap by incorporating a clutch mechanism that controls chain tension and stabilizes the rear derailleur cage. Shimano's Shadow Plus design, which is engineered to produce a similar chain-stabilizing effect, preceded SRAM's Type 2 design in reaching the marketplace. However, Type 2 technology differs from its competition in a key way. Rather than opting for an adjustable friction band, SRAM put a Roller Bearing Clutch in their Type 2 derailleurs. The clutch comes pre-set from the factory to provide a certain amount of friction inside the derailleur cage pivot. This friction keeps the cage from bouncing up and down over rocky trails and de-tensioning the chain. Because it's pre-set at the factory, SRAM's Type 2 clutch can't be disengaged or adjusted like Shimano's Shadow Plus mechanism. That being said, the Type 2 clutch is self-lubricating, and there are no external moving parts, so unlike the Shadow Plus system, it's designed to be maintenance-free. The Type 2 mechanism adds about 30 grams to the weight of a standard X9 rear derailleur. A unique feature of the Type 2 system is that its Cage Lock technology allows you, with the push of a button, to lock the derailleur cage in an extended position. While it may not be a game changer, this is a nice feature that allows for easier-than-ever rear wheel installation. There's no need to worry if you accidentally leave the derailleur cage locked; it will return to normal operating position when you hit your first bump.

[Sep 26, 2014]
honz

Strength:

Nada, zip, nothing good about this product... This product will strand you in wilderness. If you have it on your bike, pack an emergency blanket and a headlamp... It will break and you will be f*^%#@d.... best you can do it prepare to spend the night or enjoy a long hike.

Completely faulty. Something happens in the mechanism that makes the cage stick in the forward position.

Didn't last 2 weeks on my brand new bike. Cage gets stuck in forward position. Bike shop replaced for free with another X9, but now I'm just waiting for it to break as well... hopefully won't get me stranded, but I feel like a sitting duck. 2 other friends also bought new bikes, just after me.... one had to have the X0 replaced immediately.... Tonight, my other friend, on a ride, had the cage randomly go and get stuck in the forward position.... Chain dropped and cage caught spokes. Totally bent the cage and derailleur. This item should be recalled, it is a piece of junk!

[Mar 28, 2014]
Whitney

Strength:

um... it worked ok for a few months

i've broken 2 within the last year, just by going off moderate drops. this time, it blew up and took out a spoke. not exactly an easy fix when out on the trail. I still have the same xt derailed on my old bike - 8 years with no problems, so I'm pretty sure it's the disaster, not me...

do not buy this derailleur!

[Sep 28, 2013]
abzillah

Strength:

Locks out so the wheel can come off really easily.

1] About every 50 miles breaks shifter cable at the dereileur.
2] Will not shift back down from the tallest gear
3] Will not shift smoothly to all 10 cogs
4] Deraileur hits spokes

Don't waste your time on this deraileur. I am on my second set and these things are just crap.

[Jul 11, 2013]
knotzykiller
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Crisp shifting if B tension is set so top derailleur cog is 6mm from Cassette

Plastic cage (pulley wheel arms) on some years, not sure how that works or when it was changed....

I gave 2 chills for the plastic pulley arms, I had a long cage X9 and brushed a log lightly and it snapped like a dry twig. Replaced with a X7 medium cage that also has plastic pulley wheel arms (cage)
Friend of mine has X9 medium cage with aluminum cage (pulley wheel arms) so not sure why or what years are aluminum..

As for shifting, adjust the B tension so the top derailleur cog or ( pulley wheel) is 6mm from the cassette and all is good. It states to do so in the scram tech sheet so no big secret just kept under tight lips so bike shops can get you to upgrade and spend more money....
Adjust your own B tension and save your cash while you learn something :]

After it`s setup the shifting is crisp and on target, sometimes for no rhym or reason I hear it haunting me for a quick second or 2 but no jumping or ghosting around after PROPER setup.

Sram XO 9 speed derailleur
Shimano 10 speed derailleur

[Oct 28, 2012]
down2ride

Strength:

Clean crisp shifting, feels very solid, almost completely eliminates chain slap, great price

None, so far

I'm switching from the XT Shadow (for reference). Today was my first ride and I'm already in love. I HATE CHAIN SLAP and this derailleur virtually eliminates it! It is so nice to go over rocks, roots, and drops and not hear that god awful slap. I was very pleased with how clean, crisp, and quick the shifting was. I was afraid with this new technology that it would compromise the shifting, but I didn't find that to be true. Only time will tell how well it holds up, but it feels very strong and durable.

[Oct 14, 2012]
Pearmund

Strength:

Great shifting, very smooth and a big step up from my old 9 speed X0

Still get a bit of chain slip on heavy landings

Upgraded (or possibly down graded) from X0 9 speed to a type 2 X9 10 speed. Massive improvement in shifting, very smooth ride, and with less give in the chain, it feels like you get more power down, especially on climbs. The mech is new, so no issues yet, but will definitely keep an eye on reliability.

[Oct 12, 2012]
junior1210

Strength:

Easy to set up and adjust, can handle abuse, reasonably priced

none to speak of yet

This came stock on my MTB and has been an excellent piece of hardware. It has taken all I've thrown at it and come through fine. Adjustment screws are well placed for dialing in and wheels have been easy to keep clean as well.

[Oct 03, 2012]
MJ
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

The cage lock off button to allow you to remove your wheel easily is a great development.

I've ridden for 18 years and never had a rear derailleur failure. After 1 month with the x9 type 2 it was hit by a stick ( a good stick I should say) and the cage came out looking like a pair of old cowboys legs. To it's defense it did hold together to get me home, but now I'm up for a whole new unit. Ultimately it was a rider error.. but my issue is with part replacement cost.

I know I should have ridden better and missed the stick, but it was either the stick or off the side of the track and into the bush. If a cage can be bent, it should be designed for easy removal & repair. The replacement cage kit is only about $20 cheaper than a full derailleur.... that's not very eco friendly.

[Sep 20, 2012]
jonshonda

Strength:

Crisp Shifting, never had an issue.

Been riding with this for 400 miles without issue. Adjusts easy, never had an issue shifting. I think the shifting is fast and easy, never compared to shimano. I bought another for my Fatbike.

[Jul 03, 2012]
russ parker

Strength:

Can't seem to find any. Had problems with this derailure from day 1.

Tension spring. Will leave you stranded. In 25 years riding mountain bikes I've never had a Shimano deraileur. X9 has twice in a year.

As others have said. Problem with the tension spring. Doesn't break, instead it pulls out of the catch. This happened to me without any cause. Not crash, to hitting anything,,,,nothing??? This happened the first time on Monarch Crest trail at 10,000-12,000ft. Had to free wheel 15 miles or so.

Took to bike shop and they re-tensioned the spring and thought problem was cured. Rode 2 more times before it broke for a second time. $140 later, I have a second X9. They say you can't convert to shimano??
This item should be re-called!!